smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
I upgraded my Windows 10 laptop to Windows 11 Pro. Had to re-cracktivate it, but otherwise no hitches so far. :)
Huh, that's interesting. I remember when updating a cracked version of Windows 7–8.1 to 10, it switched to a genuine licence. Seems like they fixed it.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Huh, that's interesting. I remember when updating a cracked version of Windows 7–8.1 to 10, it switched to a genuine licence. Seems like they fixed it.
Mine switched over to a Win 11 Home license from a Win 10 Pro license, but I had to change the version to Win 11 Pro, and then use HWIDGen to activate it.

Otherwise, the upgrade process was seamless, and the laptop is much more responsive for only being a dual-core Ryzen 3 3200U.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Oh yeah, quick question. Anyone know if I can upgrade my laptop with an unsupported CPU (i5-5200U) and no TPM? It's only 6 years old and runs great, and it feels like a waste leaving it on Windows 10 forever, which will eventually become outdated.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah, quick question. Anyone know if I can upgrade my laptop with an unsupported CPU (i5-5200U) and no TPM? It's only 6 years old and runs great, and it feels like a waste leaving it on Windows 10 forever, which will eventually become outdated.
The no tpm thing is a go, but I'm not sure how it checks for the CPU. Might be in the BCD store, or in the registry of boot.wim for all we know. There's gotta be a bypass though, as people have installed Windows 10 on unsupported CPUs too.

Reactions: smileyhead

Crazynoob458

That Reshiram
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The no tpm thing is a go, but I'm not sure how it checks for the CPU. Might be in the BCD store, or in the registry of boot.wim for all we know. There's gotta be a bypass though, as people have installed Windows 10 on unsupported CPUs too.
i remember people copying boot.wim (i think) to a windows 10 iso
might be wrong

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The CPU and TPM system requirements can be bypassed using one of many different methods. The easiest way is to use an automated tool to remove those requirements from the installation ISO. There's a tool called Win 11 Boot And Upgrade FiX KiT v2.0 that's pretty popular, but this is not the only tool out there. After you've patched the ISO, you can update to Windows 11 as though you met the system requirements. You may need to disconnect from the internet while the installer is checking your system requirements in order for it to work. Otherwise, the installer may just bypass your bypass and compare your system to an updated list of system requirements.

A six year-old computer should, for now, be able to run Windows 11 just fine, and you should have no trouble installing Windows 11 after bypassing the system requirements. That being said, I recommend staying on Windows 10 for the time being. We don't know how future updates will affect unsupported hardware, and we don't know if unsupported hardware will be eligible for security updates in the future. My recommendation for people with unsupported hardware is to stay on Windows 10 until support for it ends in 2025 (2029 for the 17763 LTSC version of Windows 10). After end of life in 2025, if you're still using that computer, you can install 17763 LTSC, Windows 11, or a Linux distro. There might also be a way to get extended security updates for Windows 10 for a few years after its end of life, similar to how there are extended security updates for Windows 7.

If you're tech savvy and don't mind potentially having to clean install Windows 10 or Linux at some point in the near future, you can play around with Windows 11 on unsupported hardware.

Tldr: You can install Windows 11 on unsupported hardware, but I wouldn't do it to your parents' or grandparents' computers.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would NEVER do an upgrade from another OS. ALWAYS a clean install. That said, I did a clean install on release day. Zero actual problems thus far and only have a few gripes with some small changes. It's running very smooth. Windows Update working and all.

@smileyhead I have an unsupported i5 2500K in a motherboard with no TPM. Used this (Universal MediaCreationTool wrapper) to create an install USB and it bypasses all of the checks. I believe it just uses the Win 10 method you mentioned in your post. https://gist.github.com/AveYo/c74dc774a8fb81a332b5d65613187b15

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,
Reactions: smileyhead

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would NEVER do an upgrade from another OS. ALWAYS a clean install. That said, I did a clean install on release day. Zero actual problems thus far and only have a few gripes with some small changes. It's running very smooth. Windows Update working and all.

@smileyhead I have an unsupported i5 2500K in a motherboard with no TPM. Used this (Universal MediaCreationTool wrapper) to create an install USB and it bypasses all of the checks. I believe it just uses the Win 10 method you mentioned in your post. https://gist.github.com/AveYo/c74dc774a8fb81a332b5d65613187b15
While I generally agree with you that clean installs are better, upgrading to Windows 11 (instead of clean installing it) is recommended on unsupported hardware (if you've made the decision to use Windows 11 on unsupported hardware in the first place, which I do not recommend). If you do a clean install of Windows 11 on unsupported hardware (or any hardware, for that matter), VBS settings will be enabled by default, which may result in a significant performance hit. The performance hit is most significant on unsupported hardware.

I usually do upgrades when updating Windows, and I'll do clean installs only when I notice something wrong with performance.

Tldr: On unsupported hardware, the more Windows 10 default settings that are enabled, the better the experience in all likelihood.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I generally agree with you that clean installs are better, upgrading to Windows 11 (instead of clean installing it) is recommended on unsupported hardware (if you've made the decision to use Windows 11 on unsupported hardware in the first place, which I do not recommend). If you do a clean install of Windows 11 on unsupported hardware (or any hardware, for that matter), VBS settings will be enabled by default, which may result in a significant performance hit. The performance hit is most significant on unsupported hardware.

I usually do upgrades when updating Windows, and I'll do clean installs only when I notice something wrong with performance.

Tldr: On unsupported hardware, the more Windows 10 default settings that are enabled, the better the experience in all likelihood.

That entire post is a bunch of nonsense. Unsupported hardware is unsupported hardware. If anything is actually going to go wrong from it (and that's a BIG "if"), it would happen regardless if it's an upgrade or a clean install. So clean install is still the best way to go with a new OS. Secondly, VBS was absolutely not enabled by default. The statement from Microsoft regarding VBS being enabled by default was referring to pre-built OEM and chip partner systems.

Edit: "On unsupported hardware, the more Windows 10 default settings that are enabled, the better the experience in all likelihood." Whattttttttttttt?!?!?!?! Lmao. That's like saying you can't manually set the same settings after a clean install. C'mon.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
The CPU and TPM system requirements can be bypassed using one of many different methods. The easiest way is to use an automated tool to remove those requirements from the installation ISO. There's a tool called Win 11 Boot And Upgrade FiX KiT v2.0 that's pretty popular, but this is not the only tool out there. After you've patched the ISO, you can update to Windows 11 as though you met the system requirements. You may need to disconnect from the internet while the installer is checking your system requirements in order for it to work. Otherwise, the installer may just bypass your bypass and compare your system to an updated list of system requirements.

A six year-old computer should, for now, be able to run Windows 11 just fine, and you should have no trouble installing Windows 11 after bypassing the system requirements. That being said, I recommend staying on Windows 10 for the time being. We don't know how future updates will affect unsupported hardware, and we don't know if unsupported hardware will be eligible for security updates in the future. My recommendation for people with unsupported hardware is to stay on Windows 10 until support for it ends in 2025 (2029 for the 17763 LTSC version of Windows 10). After end of life in 2025, if you're still using that computer, you can install 17763 LTSC, Windows 11, or a Linux distro. There might also be a way to get extended security updates for Windows 10 for a few years after its end of life, similar to how there are extended security updates for Windows 7.

If you're tech savvy and don't mind potentially having to clean install Windows 10 or Linux at some point in the near future, you can play around with Windows 11 on unsupported hardware.

Tldr: You can install Windows 11 on unsupported hardware, but I wouldn't do it to your parents' or grandparents' computers.
It was weird when I was on windows 10 the update section said I have unsupported hardware. But when I checked pc health checker it says I have supported hardware.

I have pretty much all latest hardware and tpm 2.0 support. The new bios update for my mobo says it has windows 11 support and activates tpm by default whereas the previous ver. has it disabled by default.

First I upgraded from windows 10 just to see how it is.

Then after it felt like it worked good I did a clean install even if I didn't need it only for peace of mind having a clean fresh windows 11 without any remnants of windows 10 lingering in the way and old software and drivers that have built up.

Reactions: D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First I upgraded from windows 10 just to see how it is.

Then after it felt like it worked good I did a clean install even if I didn't need it only for peace of mind having a clean fresh windows 11 without any remnants of windows 10 lingering in the way and old software and drivers that have built up.

That is a good suggestion for people wanting to try it on unsupported hardware that may be worried about running into problems. Do an upgrade, then when you feel enough time has passed that you feel confident there will be no issues, do a clean install. Clean is ALWAYS better when going to a new OS. Although the claims of a clean install of Win11 on unsupported hardware causing more problems than an upgrade is unfounded nonsense.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That entire post is a bunch of nonsense. Unsupported hardware is unsupported hardware. If anything is actually going to go wrong from it (and that's a BIG "if"), it would happen regardless if it's an upgrade or a clean install. So clean install is still the best way to go with a new OS. Secondly, VBS was absolutely not enabled by default. The statement from Microsoft regarding VBS being enabled by default was referring to pre-built OEM and chip partner systems.
Unsupported hardware generally doesn't have MBEC hardware support for VBS and, more specifically, memory integrity (HVCI). Settings that make use of these are enabled by default on a clean Windows 11 installation, but they aren't enabled when upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11. In other words, if your computer's unsupported hardware doesn't support MBEC, you're probably going to take a hefty performance hit (around 40%) if you clean install Windows 11 on the aforementioned unsupported hardware.

A future update may enable these settings on all systems in the future, regardless of how you installed it. This is one of the reasons why I don't recommend using Windows 11 on unsupported hardware unless you accept the risk of having to clean install Windows 10 in the near future after things go awry with Windows 11.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
That is a good suggestion for people wanting to try it on unsupported hardware that may be worried about running into problems. Do an upgrade, then when you feel enough time has passed that you feel confident there will be no issues, do a clean install. Clean is ALWAYS better when going to a new OS. Although the claims of a clean install of Win11 on unsupported hardware causing more problems than an upgrade is unfounded nonsense.
For me with supported hardware I just wanted to test if there was any issues because it's a new os so there's bound to be bugs and things they need to iron out.

I was looking forward to the better HDR support which is why I wanted to upgrade. HDR on windows 10 sucked. Sometimes it wouldn't switch back to sdr and I would have to turn off my TV. Multi monitor kinda sucked too of you had a 1440p and a 4k displays connected. The icons will become mixed up and throw around randomly evertime when I connected both displays.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Unsupported hardware generally doesn't have MBEC hardware support for VBS and, more specifically, memory integrity (HVCI). Settings that make use of these are enabled by default on a clean Windows 11 installation, but they aren't enabled when upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11. In other words, if your computer's unsupported hardware doesn't support MBEC, you're probably going to take a hefty performance hit (around 40%) if you clean install Windows 11 on the aforementioned unsupported hardware.

A future update may enable these settings on all systems in the future, regardless of how you installed it. This is one of the reasons why I don't recommend using Windows 11 on unsupported hardware unless you accept the risk of having to clean install Windows 10 in the near future after things go awry with Windows 11.
You can disable it by regedit. I myself am debating if I should disable it as I have a modern cpu so my performance hit is closer to 5%. Or if the extra security is worth it. Microsoft is allowing newer gaming pc's to be shipped with it disabled by default.

Reactions: D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Just. No. Stop. VBS is not even enabled by default on Windows 10 and would only be enabled if someone enabled it manually. But let's say theoretically, If someone buys a pre-built system with VBS enabled? Simply turn it off. If someone does a clean install of Windows 11 and it's enabled (which it shouldn't be unless it was an at last semi-recent, pre-built system)? Simply turn it off.

The performance hit caused by VBS is an issue even on fully supported hardware... so I'm not sure what this entire unsupported kick you're going on with is all about. In other words, my processor and motherboard are both unsupported and I assure you I do not have 40% performance hit, or any at all for that matter.

If I have to reinstall a clean Win10 down the road because MS decides to flip some switches? So be it. It takes me all of 30 minutes (MAYBE 45 tops) to install the OS, reinstall all of my apps, and get my settings/tweaks/services/etc how I want them. Not too bad of a deal for me personally, if Win 11 should cease to function properly on my "unsupported" hardware. Keep in mind though, Microsoft isn't saying it won't run properly on old hardware, just that they will not provide any technical support if it doesn't. That's what they mean by unsupported. It's more about THEM not supporting it, not really about old hardware not supporting it (despite their efforts to include anti-old hardware measures).

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just. No. Stop. VBS is not even enabled by default on Windows 10 and would only be enabled if someone enabled it manually. But let's say theoretically, If someone buys a pre-built system with VBS enabled? Simply turn it off. If someone does a clean install of Windows 11 and it's enabled (which it shouldn't be unless it was an at last semi-recent, pre-built system)? Simply turn it off.

The performance hit caused by VBS is an issue even on fully supported hardware... so I'm not sure what this entire unsupported kick you're going on with is all about. In other words, my processor and motherboard are both unsupported and I assure you I do not have 40% performance hit, or any at all for that matter.

If I have to reinstall a clean Win10 down the road because MS decides to flip some switches? So be it. It takes me all of 30 minutes (MAYBE 45 tops) to install the OS, reinstall all of my apps, and get my settings/tweaks/services/etc how I want them. Not too bad of a deal for me personally, if Win 11 should cease to function properly on my "unsupported" hardware. Keep in mind though, Microsoft isn't saying it won't run properly on old hardware, just that they will not provide any technical support if it doesn't. That's what they mean by unsupported. It's more about THEM not supporting it, not really about old hardware not supporting it (despite their efforts to include anti-old hardware measures).
VBS is not enabled by default on Windows 10, but it is enabled by default on at least some Windows 11 clean installs. The issue I'm referring to is the potentially 40% hit on unsupported systems that don't have MBEC hardware support, not the lesser hit on supported systems. The fact that you don't have VBS enabled, or do and it isn't causing a significant performance hit, doesn't mean it isn't an issue.

The easiest way to avoid the VBS problems on unsupported systems (for now) is to do an upgrade install of Windows 11 over Windows 10. We also don't know what other settings are changing from Windows 10 to Windows 11 that unsupported systems might benefit from skipping. Better yet, for those who aren't tech savvy and/or don't want to potentially deal with issues should just stay on Windows 10 until its end of life.

This was but one example of how it could be beneficial to do an upgrade install. Don't take it personally.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
No stuttering on my system at all. It seems to run smoother then windows 10.

That post was back in July before the official release.
The stuttering isn't a Windows 11 issue, it's an AMD fTPM issue specifically, and doesn't seem to affect everyone. All we've determined is that it only happens with AMD fTPM enabled for some people and no one knows why. We've only really determined that this issue is vendor agnostic, as there are reports of it happening on motherboards from all the major manufacturers, which means it may be a bug in Windows (10/11) or something AMD needs to fix with a software or firmware update.

Edit: The only reason I mention this in a thread pertaining to Windows 11 is the TPM 'requirement' Windows 11 officially has.

Latest photos

Group events

Site & Scene News

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos: