• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Far Right Presidential Candidate Wins in Argentina

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah since we don't have free access to get USD there's a parallel (illegal) market. That parallel price was frozen for the first few months (started going up recently), that's why it looked like the peso was going strong.
See how "Parallel peso" is the one going positive but the official one is in the negative. It's so stupid I can't believe we're even discussing this.
View attachment 439515
https://markets.businessinsider.com...ssion-inflation-milei-foreign-currency-2024-4
Nobody is claiming otherwise because nobody is exchanging the peso on the official exchange unless they have to. FX comparisons are always drawn against the black market peso because that’s the more realistic representation of its value. The entire point of this exercise is to narrow the gap between the parallel and the official FX rate to establish an *actual* currency. The situation in Argentina is *not* normal and needs to be rectified. If the official exchange rate is dropping and the parallel exchange rate is rising then they’re on the path to meet in the middle, which is the objective. You present your graph as if it was an indictment of Milei when in reality it’s a testament to his policy doing exactly what it’s supposed to do.

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Project "get the weak to die of hunger while the rest removes their savings from the economy" continues with amazing success. Might even be thunderous and roaring success once the police and army realize they're not in the in group.
It's brave, others have long passed caved to claiming it's not real capitalism, but that is merely lack of faith. Trust the vibes!

Reactions: Dark_Ansem

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't think so. It's getting even worse than before, and it doesn't actually seem like this is meant to act like a flu.
There’s an enormous gap between the Peso on the international FX and the actual value of the Peso as it relates to USD. It’s *not supposed to be that wide*. Devaluing one and strengthening the other until the two values meet, or rather, get significantly closer to each other is the desirable outcome. I don’t know how to explain it any better, the FX rate should reflect the value of the currency. If anything, a lower value on the official exchange stimulates foreign investment because they can get more Peso for their dollar. Heads *bigger and smarter than yours*, actual economists, are congratulating the new government on their efforts to close the gap. I’m sorry, but I have more confidence in Bloomberg’s analysis than I do in a “guy on the Internet” hot take.

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Nobody is claiming otherwise because nobody is exchanging the peso on the official exchange unless they have to. FX comparisons are always drawn against the black market peso because that’s the more realistic representation of its value. The entire point of this exercise is to narrow the gap between the parallel and the official FX rate to establish an *actual* currency. The situation in Argentina is *not* normal and needs to be rectified. If the official exchange rate is dropping and the parallel exchange rate is rising then they’re on the path to meet in the middle, which is the objective. You present your graph as if it was an indictment of Milei when in reality it’s a testament to his policy doing exactly what it’s supposed to do.
The official exchange is not dropping, what are you not understanding? They're both rising.
Post automatically merged:

Project "get the weak to die of hunger while the rest removes their savings from the economy" continues with amazing success. Might even be thunderous and roaring success once the police and army realize they're not in the in group.
It's brave, others have long passed caved to claiming it's not real capitalism, but that is merely lack of faith. Trust the vibes!

Fun fact Misiones has been on fire these last couple of weeks because teachers, medics and police forces are camping asking for better salaries. The police are the only ones who got what they wanted (of course).

There’s an enormous gap between the Peso on the international FX and the actual value of the Peso as it relates to USD. It’s *not supposed to be that wide*. Devaluing one and strengthening the other until the two values meet, or rather, get significantly closer to each other is the desirable outcome. I don’t know how to explain it any better, the FX rate should reflect the value of the currency. If anything, a lower value on the official exchange stimulates foreign investment because they can get more Peso for their dollar. Heads *bigger and smarter than yours*, actual economists, are congratulating the new government on their efforts to close the gap. I’m sorry, but I have more confidence in Bloomberg’s analysis than I do in a “guy on the Internet” hot take.

Please give source for the bigger and smarter heads congratulating the government.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I highly doubt he is going to be the one to turn things around, let alone if it was the best way to do so, but I don't think it has been enough time to officially call this a train wreck.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The official exchange is not dropping, what are you not understanding? They're both rising.
Read your own graph.

IMG_3446.png

You *just* posted it. Look at the bottom axis.
Please give source for the bigger and smarter heads congratulating the government.
Every single article regarding this matter posted in this thread so far. That, and the IMF, for months on end now.

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Read your own graph.

View attachment 439928

Every single article regarding this matter posted in this thread so far. That, and the IMF, for months on end now.
That graph I sent was to disprove the dumb affirmation you made, it's also old news.

Read your own graph.

View attachment 439928

Send a link. Prove it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That graph I sent was to disprove the dumb affirmation you made, it's also old news.
Interesting strategy. Very confusing to people who know how to read a graph, but fascinating nonetheless. To reiterate, under Milei the gap shrank from 200% to 18%, and then grew to 44%. Good result.
Send a link. Prove it.
You are in front of a computer, presumably.

https://apnews.com/article/milei-ar...conomy-funds-b3b82978d3971ce6148f6f26f2d8e97b

Everything I said earlier in this thread is playing out exactly as anticipated - there are several years of hurt ahead of Argentinians because they dug themselves a pretty darn big hole, but the Peso is stabilising and the country posted its first *fiscal surplus* in 16 years. Macroeconomic stability is improving, confidence of the banking sector is increasing and the President of the IMF is singing Milei’s praises, approving further bailout funding. For the record, the IMF is Argentina’s chief creditor, so ideally you’d want to stay on their good side. It’s not going to be pretty anytime soon, but all the government has to do is keep doing what it’s doing for another 10 years and maybe, maybe, you’ll have a serviceable economy.

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the country posted its first *fiscal surplus* in 16 years
We've already been though that nonsense. The only reason the "surplus" is called as such is because basically all expenditure including necessary one has been turned off, kinda like saying "hey look, I have all this extra money this month!" Before factoring in debts and food expenditure

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
We've already been though that nonsense. The only reason the "surplus" is called as such is because basically all expenditure including necessary one has been turned off, kinda like saying "hey look, I have all this extra money this month!" Before factoring in debts and food expenditure
We have a very different definition of the word “necessary”. What’s necessary right now is balancing the budget. There’s no “nonsense” involved, they posted a fiscal surplus. For the record, since we’re in May, it’s now been 4 months of surplus, and the figure *does* include mandatory spending, most notably interest payments.

https://www.reuters.com/world/ameri...-budget-surplus-nearly-20-million-2024-05-16/

So no, it’s not like “getting a surplus by not paying your debts”. It’s paying off your debts first and then seeing how much left is there to spend.

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So no, it’s not like “getting a surplus by not paying your debts”. It’s paying off your debts first and then seeing how much left is there to spend.
No debt is really being paid if there is a surplus innit. Anyway, you trust the plan and we will see how it pans out. There is an insiders view of argentina which, frankly, seems more accurate than yours.

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Interesting strategy. Very confusing to people who know how to read a graph, but fascinating nonetheless. To reiterate, under Milei the gap shrank from 200% to 18%, and then grew to 44%. Good result.
You are in front of a computer, presumably.

https://apnews.com/article/milei-ar...conomy-funds-b3b82978d3971ce6148f6f26f2d8e97b

Everything I said earlier in this thread is playing out exactly as anticipated - there are several years of hurt ahead of Argentinians because they dug themselves a pretty darn big hole, but the Peso is stabilising and the country posted its first *fiscal surplus* in 16 years. Macroeconomic stability is improving, confidence of the banking sector is increasing and the President of the IMF is singing Milei’s praises, approving further bailout funding. For the record, the IMF is Argentina’s chief creditor, so ideally you’d want to stay on their good side. It’s not going to be pretty anytime soon, but all the government has to do is keep doing what it’s doing for another 10 years and maybe, maybe, you’ll have a serviceable economy.

So the IMF that fucked our country in the first place "praise" the dude who is gonna make everything in his power to pay them back (no matter the cost), shocking. Let's see what else did the IMF say:
1) "To overhaul the beleaguered economy, Milei has slashed public sector wages, eliminated thousands of state jobs, frozen public works projects and cut subsidies. He has also devalued the nosediving peso currency by over 50%, helping it stabilize but causing the prices of basic goods to skyrocket."
You know what happened because of this? He didn't finish a $45m project to get gas for the country so he ended up spending hundreds of millions to import liquid gas, while the country suffered cuts all around, and with no solution for this winter which hasn't even started.

2) "Although brutal for Argentina’s poor and middle classes, the market-friendly overhaul has “resulted in faster-than-anticipated progress in restoring macroeconomic stability and bringing the program firmly back on track,” the IMF said, thanking Argentine authorities for “the decisive implementation of their stabilization plan.”"
So, again, they're thanking him because they'll get their money back at the expense of the poor and middle classes, how great!

3) "However, it warned that the quality of the adjustment and Argentina's monetary framework must be improved.
Addressing challenges, the IMF said that “social assistance” should be “strengthened as needed” and warned that blocks on productivity, private investment and formal employment must be tackled."
None of this is happening: social assistance is barely covering inflation, private investment is not only $0 so far but also thousands of companies are firing people, the private sector has fired more people than Milei in the public sector. Literally nothing is being done to help formal employment, on the contrary: they want to pass legislation that legalizes and facilitates informality.

4) "Earlier this week the IMF slashed its forecast for Argentina's 2024 GDP to a 2.8% contraction from a previous view of a 2.8% expansion, mostly due to the expected effects of the new government's proposed reforms."
So the IMF is praising someone who changed their forecast 5.6% points on the negative? Hm, interesting.

Tell me, Foxi dear, how will the wages recover now? How will consumer spending do it? Industrial activity is at an all time low, losing 15% interanual only in April. But that can't be possible! The government said the 8,4% from March was the lowest point!
Fuck right off mate, it's easy to support these shitty experiments when you're not the one living through them.

Also, fun fact: Milei won thanks to his alliance with the PRO party (Macri), party that took the +$50 billion loan that we're now struggling to pay. Good thing he was a new voice against the politician breed! The IMF also said they should've never given that loan. But good thing they're praising Milei now!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No debt is really being paid if there is a surplus innit. Anyway, you trust the plan and we will see how it pans out. There is an insiders view of argentina which, frankly, seems more accurate than yours.
You can just say that you don’t care what the objective reality of the matter is and you’re more interested in a partisan hot take - that’s totally fine.
So the IMF that fucked our country in the first place "praise" the dude who is gonna make everything in his power to pay them back (no matter the cost), shocking. Let's see what else did the IMF say:
1) "To overhaul the beleaguered economy, Milei has slashed public sector wages, eliminated thousands of state jobs, frozen public works projects and cut subsidies. He has also devalued the nosediving peso currency by over 50%, helping it stabilize but causing the prices of basic goods to skyrocket."
You know what happened because of this? He didn't finish a $45m project to get gas for the country so he ended up spending hundreds of millions to import liquid gas, while the country suffered cuts all around, and with no solution for this winter which hasn't even started.

2) "Although brutal for Argentina’s poor and middle classes, the market-friendly overhaul has “resulted in faster-than-anticipated progress in restoring macroeconomic stability and bringing the program firmly back on track,” the IMF said, thanking Argentine authorities for “the decisive implementation of their stabilization plan.”"
So, again, they're thanking him because they'll get their money back at the expense of the poor and middle classes, how great!

3) "However, it warned that the quality of the adjustment and Argentina's monetary framework must be improved.
Addressing challenges, the IMF said that “social assistance” should be “strengthened as needed” and warned that blocks on productivity, private investment and formal employment must be tackled."
None of this is happening: social assistance is barely covering inflation, private investment is not only $0 so far but also thousands of companies are firing people, the private sector has fired more people than Milei in the public sector. Literally nothing is being done to help formal employment, on the contrary: they want to pass legislation that legalizes and facilitates informality.

4) "Earlier this week the IMF slashed its forecast for Argentina's 2024 GDP to a 2.8% contraction from a previous view of a 2.8% expansion, mostly due to the expected effects of the new government's proposed reforms."
So the IMF is praising someone who changed their forecast 5.6% points on the negative? Hm, interesting.

Tell me, Foxi dear, how will the wages recover now? How will consumer spending do it? Industrial activity is at an all time low, losing 15% interanual only in April. But that can't be possible! The government said the 8,4% from March was the lowest point!
Fuck right off mate, it's easy to support these shitty experiments when you're not the one living through them.

Also, fun fact: Milei won thanks to his alliance with the PRO party (Macri), party that took the +$50 billion loan that we're now struggling to pay. Good thing he was a new voice against the politician breed! The IMF also said they should've never given that loan. But good thing they're praising Milei now!
I like how we went from “it’s not true” through “show me the evidence” until we arrived at “well, I don’t like those bankers so it doesn’t matter”. Thank you for quoting my own article back to me though as if I haven’t read it - I have, and yes, the IMF absolutely praised Milei. The idea that Argentina went in debt five minutes ago is pure fantasy, you guys have been overspending hand over fist for decades. I’m sorry that collapsed your currency and depressed your wages. Here’s for hoping that some temporary hurt can lead to recovery from the worst depression your country has ever suffered - you have the previous administrations to thank for that. Milei had nothing to do with it, but he’s certainly helping you climb out, whether you like the measures or not. Thankfully nobody expect Argentina to pay off the entirety of its debt, much like nobody expects the U.S. to pay theirs - relative economic stability will suffice, but it’ll be a while before you get to that point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users