Hacking Modded 3ds fully restarted

Skyfoxdartner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the title says the whole system restarted, as in went back to factory settings. I took the sd card out a few days ago to dump things with God Mode 9, specifically the Nintendo theme shop backup. In order to decrypt that though, I copied the movable.sed file to >Nintendo 3ds > Private. I'm sure the issue has to do with that. Either way when I turned it back on just now with the SD card in, the luma password still worked and so did the splash screen, but it now goes to console setup. I REALLY don't want to lose everything, as it's been modded for a long ass time. Is there any recovery, any sort of hoops I can jump through whatsoever.

Attachments

• VID_20240505_111219190.mp4
    42.7 MB

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In order to decrypt that though, I copied the movable.sed file to >Nintendo 3ds > Private.
It normally copies movable.sed to sd:/GM9/out why did you change it if you did?
Anyway, you have to check if sd:/Nintendo 3ds/32id folder is in there that's what holds your data, if it's wiped somehow then your hit out of luck. Copying Movable.sed to Nintendo 3ds folder shouldn't cause this, but it's better to move it elsewhere anyway.

Skyfoxdartner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyway, you have to check if sd:/Nintendo 3ds/32id folder is in there that's what holds your data, if it's wiped somehow then your hit out of luck. Copying Movable.sed to Nintendo 3ds folder shouldn't cause this, but it's better to move it elsewhere anyway.
This is what's currently in the Nintendo 3ds folder. I'm aware there are multiple more than typically but that's due to some homebrew modifications. Even so I've had these on forever and it worked beforehand. What should I do and also where do you recommend I move the .sed file?

Attachments

• 1715207326344654522608802975509.jpg
    1715207326344654522608802975509.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

Skyfoxdartner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, sorry to bug you but did you see that last response I sent? I just really want this issued remedied

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what's currently in the Nintendo 3ds folder. I'm aware there are multiple more than typically but that's due to some homebrew modifications.
Probably when you first installed cfw, when you backed up the first folder the 3ds created a new one (cause it didn't find any) and when you put the old one back it wasn't used..
If you're using 3dsbank that's normal to have more than one.
Even so I've had these on forever and it worked beforehand.
Having more than one shouldn't be the issue. tbh i have no idea how this could happen, could be an sd card/ corruption issue, i don't remember if you said your sd card was tested with h2testw or not, but if not, now's the time. Obv backup your data beforehand, empty it and then do the test. If it passes it, format it as FAT32 32kb clusters and copy the stuff back, otherwise it's faulty and shouldn't be used.
where do you recommend I move the .sed file?
Sd:/Gm9/out
Post automatically merged:

Check those Nintendo 3ds folders and see if there's still data inside and that they're not empty for any reason.

Last edited by CoolMe,
Reactions: Skyfoxdartner

Skyfoxdartner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably when you first installed cfw, when you backed up the first folder the 3ds created a new one (cause it didn't find any) and when you put the old one back it wasn't used..
If you're using 3dsbank that's normal to have more than one.

Having more than one shouldn't be the issue. tbh i have no idea how this could happen, could be an sd card/ corruption issue, i don't remember if you said your sd card was tested with h2testw or not, but if not, now's the time. Obv backup your data beforehand, empty it and then do the test. If it passes it, format it as FAT32 32kb clusters and copy the stuff back, otherwise it's faulty and shouldn't be used.

Sd:/Gm9/out

Check those Nintendo 3ds folders and see if there's still data inside and that they're not empty for any reason.
Hey, forgive me for the late response, I've formatted the card and it's come out successful, so I formatted it as directed. Afterwards I put all the files back but am still encountering the system restart. Don't know if it's a necessary step but either way going through the process, right after profile setup I get an exception error, blocking me from going forward. I'm starting to lose hope but I really want this fixed

Hey, forgive me for the late response, I've formatted the card and it's come out successful, so I formatted it as directed. Afterwards I put all the files back but am still encountering the system restart. Don't know if it's a necessary step but either way going through the process, right after profile setup I get an exception error, blocking me from going forward. I'm starting to lose hope but I really want this fixed
Alright, update on the update. I took the sd card out while setting up the system and put it back in afterwards. Now I'm encountering an issue where once I open certain games, it just crashes.

I wish I had additional help with this, you've been great and my only hope so many genuine thanks.

Attachments

• 17175478101828673215966982866381.jpg
    17175478101828673215966982866381.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 17175484448164543562334701041676.jpg
    17175484448164543562334701041676.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
Last edited by Skyfoxdartner,

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll wager a guess and say you moved your movable.sed from nand to sd instead of copying it. so when you next booted, it wasnt there, the system used its fallback, and it couldnt read your data anymore because the movable.sed associated with them wasn't there anymore. so it initialized new save data.

double check /private/ on nand, if there is no movable.sed in there then there's your problem. if there is one, compare it with the one you backed up earlier. is it different? copy your backed up movable.sed back in there and see if it loads your stuff again.

Skyfoxdartner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll wager a guess and say you moved your movable.sed from nand to sd instead of copying it. so when you next booted, it wasnt there, the system used its fallback, and it couldnt read your data anymore because the movable.sed associated with them wasn't there anymore. so it initialized new save data.

double check /private/ on nand, if there is no movable.sed in there then there's your problem. if there is one, compare it with the one you backed up earlier. is it different? copy your backed up movable.sed back in there and see if it loads your stuff again.
So unfortunately the backed up one is the same one that won't load my games. I've no idea how this happened, but I only have this one movable.sed

Skyfoxdartner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, then my guess was wrong, and in that case I have no idea what went wrong, sorry
Your right though, I did move it rather than copying, that could be what the issue was, making a fallback or something, I don't know. The solutions not impossible as all the data is clearly still there, it just needs a way to access said data, that of which I've no idea. Thank you for the help though, hopefully someone else finds a solution

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3ds will still work without a movable.sed, it will fall back to a set of console-unique keys already loaded. I think there are some things on the system that don't work correctly when in this state, but it would still boot to home menu and appear to function and everything (I don't have my 3dses on hand right now to check and remember what does or doesn't work)

What I would do right now is make a full nand backup, and a copy of all your sd card contents, and keep those together somewhere where you won't lose them and can restore later if needed. Because what I'm going to make you try can be data destructive and you need to be able to get back to your current state in case things don't work out (to minimize risks of actual data loss)

Keep your current movable.sed in that backup, and leave it there, and what you're going to do is download ninfs

https://github.com/ihaveamac/ninfs

What you're going to do first of all is try to mount sd card contents using the movable.sed you currently have (in ninfs: `mount_sd --movable movable.sed "/path/to/Nintendo 3DS" mountpoint`)

If this works and you can see the files inside your specified mount point, good. Copy the decrypted save data out of it and keep it somewhere safe

If it didn't work, then it at least confirms the movable.sed you have doesnt match with any of your Nintendo 3DS folders. Doesn't matter why at this point, but it's just not the right movable.sed and you can try to recover the correct one

I'm going off the assumption that the first time you ran godmode9, you did the essentials file backup thing it asks you to do. If you did that backup then we might be able to get somewhere. Go to S:/essential.exefs in godmode9 and press A on it, and mount it to a virtual drive. There will be a movable.sed in there

Using the movable.sed you got from essential.exefs, try to browse through your sd card Nintendo 3DS folder contents on your computer using ninfs like before. If this doesnt work then this is where we get destructive. You're going to go into system settings and do a system format

The way movable.sed works is that every time you do a system format, basically it changes the data in it which changes your system to a different encryption key, making the old sd card data unreadable and creating a new folder. Except the way each subsequent encryption key is generated is completely deterministic and will always be the same on any given 3ds

Let's say you started at keyY 12345678, and did a system format twice and ended up with keyY 87654321. If you restored a backup from 12345678 and then once again did a system format twice, you would end up again at 87654321

What this means is that if you have an older movable.sed, you could put that back in nand:/private/ and keep doing system format in the settings, and regenerating new movable.sed, and you would eventually regenerate the same movable.sed that should allow you to decrypt your sd card data

Given that essential.exefs was likely generated the first time you used godmode9 years ago, the movable.sed in it should be old enough that it can be used to then run through the sequence again, and regenerate other older movable.sed which will eventually match up with your sd card contentd

So after doing the first system format, boot back into godmode9. Browse to nand:/data/ and check the folder name in there. Does it match any of your three Nintendo 3DS folders in your sd card? If not, then boot back into the 3ds menu and do a system format again. Then check the folder in nand:/data/ again. Do this until the folder matches with one of your sd card folders.

At this point, if booting into the 3ds doesnt let you reach the menu and see your games in system management, you can extract the movable.sed from nand, and using ninfs like earlier, attempt to mount Nintendo 3DS folder in your sd card backup using that movable.sed, which should work and allow you to copy out decrypted save data.

If the save data you're interested in wasn't in there, then it means it was in one of the other two folders. So go back into system settings and do more system formats, until the folder in nand:/data matches with the other two Nintendo 3DS folders. Same as before, copy out the movable.sed once it matches, and use it to mount sd card contents in ninfs.

If you never did the essential files backup in godmode9, you can still try to get an older movable.sed using cleaninty

https://wiki.hacks.guide/wiki/3DS:Cleaninty

Get your otp.bin in godmode9 and try doing RecoverIVs in cleaninty, if you get a movable.sed then try from there once again

If you cannot get a movable.sed from this, then it's still possible to regenerate your factory default movable.sed using only your localfriendcodeseed. Try to get a hold of d0k3 at https://web.libera.chat/#GodMode9 because I believe he should know how to do this, and by using your factory default movable.sed you should be able to regenerate every single movable.sed your 3ds has ever had, which pretty much guarantees you should be able to get the correct movable.sed back and decrypt your sd card contents

If despite all this, everything fails and you can't get your sd card files decrypted, you can still restore the nand and sd card backup you did at the beginning and get back to your current state (you might still have some useful data on your current nand which could be lost after system formats, so being able to get back to your initial state is important just in case)

Skyfoxdartner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3ds will still work without a movable.sed, it will fall back to a set of console-unique keys already loaded. I think there are some things on the system that don't work correctly when in this state, but it would still boot to home menu and appear to function and everything (I don't have my 3dses on hand right now to check and remember what does or doesn't work)

What I would do right now is make a full nand backup, and a copy of all your sd card contents, and keep those together somewhere where you won't lose them and can restore later if needed. Because what I'm going to make you try can be data destructive and you need to be able to get back to your current state in case things don't work out (to minimize risks of actual data loss)

Keep your current movable.sed in that backup, and leave it there, and what you're going to do is download ninfs

https://github.com/ihaveamac/ninfs

What you're going to do first of all is try to mount sd card contents using the movable.sed you currently have (in ninfs: `mount_sd --movable movable.sed "/path/to/Nintendo 3DS" mountpoint`)

If this works and you can see the files inside your specified mount point, good. Copy the decrypted save data out of it and keep it somewhere safe

If it didn't work, then it at least confirms the movable.sed you have doesnt match with any of your Nintendo 3DS folders. Doesn't matter why at this point, but it's just not the right movable.sed and you can try to recover the correct one

I'm going off the assumption that the first time you ran godmode9, you did the essentials file backup thing it asks you to do. If you did that backup then we might be able to get somewhere. Go to S:/essential.exefs in godmode9 and press A on it, and mount it to a virtual drive. There will be a movable.sed in there

Using the movable.sed you got from essential.exefs, try to browse through your sd card Nintendo 3DS folder contents on your computer using ninfs like before. If this doesnt work then this is where we get destructive. You're going to go into system settings and do a system format

The way movable.sed works is that every time you do a system format, basically it changes the data in it which changes your system to a different encryption key, making the old sd card data unreadable and creating a new folder. Except the way each subsequent encryption key is generated is completely deterministic and will always be the same on any given 3ds

Let's say you started at keyY 12345678, and did a system format twice and ended up with keyY 87654321. If you restored a backup from 12345678 and then once again did a system format twice, you would end up again at 87654321

What this means is that if you have an older movable.sed, you could put that back in nand:/private/ and keep doing system format in the settings, and regenerating new movable.sed, and you would eventually regenerate the same movable.sed that should allow you to decrypt your sd card data

Given that essential.exefs was likely generated the first time you used godmode9 years ago, the movable.sed in it should be old enough that it can be used to then run through the sequence again, and regenerate other older movable.sed which will eventually match up with your sd card contentd

So after doing the first system format, boot back into godmode9. Browse to nand:/data/ and check the folder name in there. Does it match any of your three Nintendo 3DS folders in your sd card? If not, then boot back into the 3ds menu and do a system format again. Then check the folder in nand:/data/ again. Do this until the folder matches with one of your sd card folders.

At this point, if booting into the 3ds doesnt let you reach the menu and see your games in system management, you can extract the movable.sed from nand, and using ninfs like earlier, attempt to mount Nintendo 3DS folder in your sd card backup using that movable.sed, which should work and allow you to copy out decrypted save data.

If the save data you're interested in wasn't in there, then it means it was in one of the other two folders. So go back into system settings and do more system formats, until the folder in nand:/data matches with the other two Nintendo 3DS folders. Same as before, copy out the movable.sed once it matches, and use it to mount sd card contents in ninfs.

If you never did the essential files backup in godmode9, you can still try to get an older movable.sed using cleaninty

https://wiki.hacks.guide/wiki/3DS:Cleaninty

Get your otp.bin in godmode9 and try doing RecoverIVs in cleaninty, if you get a movable.sed then try from there once again

If you cannot get a movable.sed from this, then it's still possible to regenerate your factory default movable.sed using only your localfriendcodeseed. Try to get a hold of d0k3 at https://web.libera.chat/#GodMode9 because I believe he should know how to do this, and by using your factory default movable.sed you should be able to regenerate every single movable.sed your 3ds has ever had, which pretty much guarantees you should be able to get the correct movable.sed back and decrypt your sd card contents

If despite all this, everything fails and you can't get your sd card files decrypted, you can still restore the nand and sd card backup you did at the beginning and get back to your current state (you might still have some useful data on your current nand which could be lost after system formats, so being able to get back to your initial state is important just in case)
Firstly thanks so much for the response, however I don't think I quite understand. Turns out the .sed does work with the current one as I made 3 decryptions with it, however I don't know what to do from here. I didn't have an issue with the save data, literally the games not booting up, after the 3ds logo shows it just gives me an exception error. (Perhaps my saves are lost but for the time being it's the least of my concerns) I think I posted a photo of that above. I tried the other, formatting method just for the heck of it and same result, I'm in the process of restoring the data now though. Do I use the movable that was gotten from the nand and put that in private? (Btw that was named movable without the identification (.sed) but it still worked in Ninfs) And what do I do with the decrypted file? Again thanks for the help, this has been like this for a few months now & I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your movable.sed works, then that makes things much easier

It's weird that act would crash like this on game launches though, what games are those?

Either way with your movable.sed and ninfs you can get the decrypted versions of your save data, this will be useful later because you could wipe your system right now, or get another 3ds entirely, and then use ninfs to open that other system's sd card data and put your decrypted save data in its place, to transfer it to the new system

One thing I would try though, first make a backup so you can restore if it doesn't work, but I would do in nand:/data/ and delete that folder to wipe all system save data and force the console to generate new, clean save data. This will not affect installed games, because save data is on sd, and the database of installed titles + tickets are in the dbs folder, so they'll still be there even if you delete all nand save data

If you have any newer games that require seeds, they will crash on launch after you delete all save data (because the seed is missing, 0001000F was deleted) but you can connect to wifi, and in fbi do import seed for the games in question

Actually, before messing with deleting all the system save data, I would try going in fbi and manually import seed for the games which are crashing, because that might be the reason why those particular games crash on launch. You might be able to resolve your issue without having to mess with stuff too much

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty there is health behaviour you can add to your character, then to use a health bar is lil more complicated, google n watch a few tutorial video on it, be too hard to explain here.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, the character has the health behavior
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I know you have to create a health and health max variable. Then there is a calculation you use in code to subtract width size of the health bar. Google few vids.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, the "greenflatbar" is one of the preset health bars btw
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you can use any bar/sprite. It will just change the width. Ok good luck and have fun. I'm off to go shoot some pool at the bar. Talk to you later.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why does the health behavior exist if you can just use a variable?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and nope the number still doesnt change
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ok im gonna make my own asset
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm i think i fixed it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I fixed it
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    how are you\
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, we just talked like 2 hours ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had the Goodyear blimp fly real low right over my house this morning, was weird out of nowhere looking up and seeing it that close up. Memorial golf tourney going on by me in Dublin Ohio and its there.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i tried the gdevelop mobile app and theres a event limit and you have to pay to add more events
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I never used the mobile or online versions, just the pc version.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i only use the online version
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I was at the bar for 1 hour and lost $40 playing pool, and said well that's enough for my unlucky day, better quit. Some sharks up there today.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, did you get drunk?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No I don't drink much when i goto bar, cause I driving, or if/when I do, ill take a uber/cab home. But I'm working on it now tho I'm home, beer n whiskey shots today.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He's afraid he might wake up next to ancientboi the next day
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What a "Scared Straight" program that would be.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: What a "Scared Straight" program that would be.