Hardware Poll: What do you think of the Switch?

What do you think of the Switch?

• Looks great! I'm definitely interested

Votes: 762 55.8%
  • Intriguing, but I'll wait to know more before I make up my mind

Votes: 467 34.2%
  • Not really interested, I don't see the appeal

Votes: 64 4.7%
  • WTF Nintendo? what is this crap

Votes: 73 5.3%

• Total voters

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really hope this thing is successful, so that we can have more consoles like this.

I hope so for my companies sake XD, as eventually (probably not anytime soon), we'll have access to the dev stuff for the Switch as Ninty is ending production of the Wii U this week. I know that they'll still be supporting indie devs and support the U online and what not, but still not a good sign....

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
But hey! At least it wins the ugly design category!
Agree it ranks high on the ugly. Size is not really portable or easily protectable on-the-go. Colour is drab and lifeless and tacky to me. Speaking of colour...

The entire surface of the dock seems to have a thin coating of paint to get it that drab grey/metallic colour on (I could be wrong but i think I am right). The plastic seems to be painted with a thin layer of paint over the entire surface to get that metallic look going rather than just using uncoated plastics. To me this is one of the tackiest design choices a designer can make. With enough wear and (ab)use (or accidents), that thin layer of paint always scratches or starts to wear off.

The joycons look like they have a coat of paint on them too. I much prefer if they just used uncoated plastics. That's without going into the size and shape and 'portability' of the device...and the fact that I think it is master of no particular areas (neither Home nor Portable).

The best thing going for it is 2-players per device is possible (presumably without the constant usability issues traditionally associated with PCs, tablets and phones). They should really push this hard. But even then I wonder how often someone will want to play in a portable situation while looking at a smallish screen. At this point, it seems like local multiplayer would be best served at home on a far bigger screen for most people and most situations. Master of no domain.

Last edited by foob,

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only thing that look "ugly" to me is the Joy Grip, but everything else is fine. The Joy Grip being ugly doesn't really matter tho. It would probably come in the box, because I don't see people buying it over the Pro.

Honestly, I don't agree or disagree, I don't think "master of no domain" really matters. A lot of successful devices are a jack of all trades.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agree it ranks high on the ugly. Size is not really portable or easily protectable on-the-go. Colour is drab and lifeless and tacky to me. Speaking of colour...

The entire surface of the dock seems to have a thin coating of paint to get it that drab grey/metallic colour on (I could be wrong but i think I am right). The plastic seems to be painted with a thin layer of paint over the entire surface to get that metallic look going rather than just using uncoated plastics. To me this is one of the tackiest design choices a designer can make. With enough wear and (ab)use (or accidents), that thin layer of paint always scratches or starts to wear off.

The joycons look like they have a coat of paint on them too. I much prefer if they just used uncoated plastics. That's without going into the size and shape and 'portability' of the device...and the fact that I think it is master of no particular areas (neither Home nor Portable).

The best thing going for it is 2-players per device is possible (presumably without the constant usability issues traditionally associated with PCs, tablets and phones). They should really push this hard. But even then I wonder how often someone will want to play in a portable situation while looking at a smallish screen. At this point, it seems like local multiplayer would be best served at home on a far bigger screen for most people and most situations. Master of no domain.
I wouldn't judge coatings until it's on the shelves; granted that that was a reveal trailer, they may have not even been real consoles, it's entirely possible that it was literally just painted pieces of plastic

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't judge coatings until it's on the shelves; granted that that was a reveal trailer, they may have not even been real consoles, it's entirely possible that it was literally just painted pieces of plastic
I'm not concerned whether the official video is using real consoles (or not) but rather just the surface colour of the device that we have seen so far.
https://nintendo.corednacdn.com/nintendo-switch/img/gallery01.jpg

It's hard to tell with sterile officially-prepared PR photos, but in that pic the dock in particular looks like it has a metallic sheen, suggesting coated plastic. I think the practice of coating large areas of plastic with thin painted coatings is pointless and tacky, but we'll see what is real when the Switch comes out.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not concerned whether the official video is using real consoles (or not) but rather just the surface colour of the device that we have seen so far.
https://nintendo.corednacdn.com/nintendo-switch/img/gallery01.jpg

It's hard to tell with sterile officially-prepared PR photos, but in that pic the dock in particular looks like it has a metallic sheen, suggesting coated plastic. I think the practice of coating large areas of plastic with thin painted coatings is pointless and tacky, but we'll see what is real when the Switch comes out.
Its likely just a prototype they're showing off right now, I'm sure the final product will look much better

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Am I stupid for stupid