Hardware What storage media 3DS will use?

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
Rydian said:
granville said:
And keep in mind that cartridges don't really use up much, if any power. UMD's suck battery life fast.
Yeah, I played a game from my memory stick on my PSP slim for like an hour on max brightness, checked the battery life and it was at like 93%. I WTF'd at myself before remembering it probably has a battery that's regularly used for UMD stuff. ^^;

Well, the slim has a better power management so it doesnt leech power as much as the phat does.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Guild McCommunist said:
I'll go with cartridges. It's what Nintendo has always used. Discs (like UMD's) can hold more data, but they lack the ability to save to them and what not. Nintendo would take convenience over space.

And we are getting a 4GB cartridge (or is it 1GB?) soon (it's to be used in The Another World or whatever it's called and the next Inazuma Eleven game), so odds are we'll get larger cartridge space by the time we reach the next gen.
I've heard there's a 4Gb game that's been recently released, so it's most likely an 8Gb (1 GB) card you mean rather than a 4GB one.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The newest largest DS games are 512 megabytes in PC data formats. That's 4 gigabits though in cartridge format.

1 megabytes = 8 megabits

Confusing, but we haven't yet reached CD sizes in DS games. We surely will by the time 3DS is established though. There is only one 512 megabyte game so far, it was just dumped the other day, i forget the name. Some educational or novel game or something... The only other games i know that will use a 512MB card will be Ninokuni, and the enhanced Love Plus+.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
No one else remembers that sliver of news that got out about Nintendo expressing interest in a portable device that uses a wireless-type setup to download its content?

I was sure that I saw that on some game website a while ago.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't remember, besides the fact that they've already got a download service for DSi. But seriously, after the failure of the download-only PSPGo, i seriously doubt Nintendo will go the download only route...

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
granville said:
I don't remember, besides the fact that they've already got a download service for DSi. But seriously, after the failure of the download-only PSPGo, i seriously doubt Nintendo will go the download only route...
Yup. They want to appeal to all customers, not just the ones with wireless internet.

On the loading screens topic, I'm pretty sure that a lot of games mask the loading screen with unskippable logos at startup.
And also, most FPS games on the DS have loading screens (well, at least the ones I've played).

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Heck, even if they do go with cartridges, doesn't a bigger cartridge mean slower data transfer rates? Maybe I don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

And about the wireless thing, here y'are.

QUOTE said:
Nintendo is considering taking a page from the Kindle playbook and offering free 3G wireless web access with its next handheld console (next gen, not yet another DS version), according to company president Satoru Iwata.

I knew I wasn't crazy.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
geoflcl said:
Heck, even if they do go with cartridges, doesn't a bigger cartridge mean slower data transfer rates? Maybe I don't know what the heck I'm talking about.
You know what you're talking about, because that's true. The only thing that your statement is missing is the fact that technology advances and that we might have 40PB memory cards that have a 500TB/s transfer rate (in the future).

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
geoflcl said:
You know what you're talking about, because that's true.
Not for flash storage, no.
Larger-capacity cards tend to have slower rates because of cost, not any technical limitations.

Assuming we're speaking in the realm of video game distribution, not shit 180 gigabytes large.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Meh, latest Tomb Raider DS game had feckin' long loading times, just to display a blue screen with info and then loading for a feckin' long time again to play for 5 minutes... And so on and so forth...

gamerjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the DSi, they were highly thinking about doing 2 DS slots, Maybe they will have a new one and an old one on top.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
granville said:
The newest largest DS games are 512 megabytes in PC data formats. That's 4 gigabits though in cartridge format.

1 megabytes = 8 megabits

Confusing, but we haven't yet reached CD sizes in DS games. We surely will by the time 3DS is established though. There is only one 512 megabyte game so far, it was just dumped the other day, i forget the name. Some educational or novel game or something... The only other games i know that will use a 512MB card will be Ninokuni, and the enhanced Love Plus+.
Not confusing if you know what you're talking about. I'm glad some do.

YayMii said:
geoflcl said:
Heck, even if they do go with cartridges, doesn't a bigger cartridge mean slower data transfer rates? Maybe I don't know what the heck I'm talking about.You know what you're talking about, because that's true. The only thing that your statement is missing is the fact that technology advances and that we might have 40PB memory cards that have a 500TB/s transfer rate (in the future).

I wish...

QUOTE(JackDeeEss @ Apr 14 2010, 05:29 PM) QUOTE(gamerjr @ Apr 14 2010, 06:26 PM)
In the DSi, they were highly thinking about doing 2 DS slots, Maybe they will have a new one and an old one on top.
Why would you need two DS slots?
For two games. Obviously.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
gamerjr said:

So you would have 'new' cartridge slot for the current cart format, and the 'old' for backward compatibility.

Wasn't there another console like that, what was it callled...umm... DS/ DS LITE.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
geoflcl said:
The thing to remember is that if the 3DS cartridge is larger in capacity, it's likely to because the files are larger (higher res video, audio, textures etc) rather than additional content. This means transfer rates will need to be higher than on the DS for them to be loaded in the same time.

With FMV you also need to consider the 3D aspect, presumably they will need a copy of the FMV for each eye and it will need to load both at the same time. Presumably some bitmaps will also need left and right copies. Should all increase the size of the cart needed.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Its gonna be carts again, the wiser choice.

Carts have longer life and dont nearly get damages as quick.

Also I think Ive said it before but if they can make 128GB microSD theres no issue with making a 1gb 3DS gamecart

EDIT yay 200th post xD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Y9WKPRUjNQ4?si=raUf8jEiET8rmH2P