Tutorial  Updated

A definitive way to test if your Switch is patched or not (purchases after 07-2018)

This tutorial uses TegraRCM command line to send payloads to RCM enabled Switch.
Command line is used since it offers a more detailed explanation on what is going on.
So it is a definitive way to confirm if your Switch is patched or not without further questions.
This tutorial does not make any modification to your Switch console.

Requirement:

No Micro SD Card is required.
1. Any way of entering Recovery Mode. Please read here, https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-ultimate-list-of-mods-to-enter-rcm.502145/
2. biskeydump.bin payload(please get the latest version, as of 30th July 2019, the latest version is V9), can be downloaded from https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/
3. TegraRcm GUI, can be downloaded from https://github.com/eliboa/TegraRcmGUI/releases
4. USB C to USB A cable
5. A PC with USB port (Sorry I don't have Mac so I could not cover this area)

Step-by-Step (in total 7 steps):
1. put in your RCM Jig on the right joy con rail. Press and hold Vol+ then press the power button.
You should see a black/blank screen after you press the power button.
If you see a Nintendo logo, you can power off your console and try to adjust your RCM Jig position.

2. To install APX driver
2.1 Launch TegraRcm GUI, go to Settings tab, click on "Install Driver" button.
2-1-1.jpg

Confirm the driver installation.
2-1-2.jpg

2.2 For those having problems installing APX driver :
Install and launch Zadig. Plug your Switch in RCM mode, then select Options > List All Devices.
Select the APX device and check which driver is installed for this specific device. If libusbK is not the current driver, install it.
zadig.png
(This step is copied from https://gbatemp.net/threads/tegrarcmgui-simple-gui-for-tegrarcmsmash.503510/)

3. Plug in USB cable from your PC to Switch(in RCM).
Open TegraRcm GUI and you should see this window with "RCM OK".
3.jpg

Alternatively, you can use Device Manager to confirm if the APX device is recognized.
3-2.jpg

Now you can close the TegraRcm GUI application.

4. Copy biskeydump.bin to the TegraRcm GUI folder.
4-1.jpg

5. Open a command line and go to the TegraRcm GUI folder.
4.jpg

6. Run this on the command line
Code:
TegraRcmSmash.exe -w biskeydump.bin BOOT:0x0

7. Check the result
7.1 Switch accepts and executes payload, which mean your Switch is not patched.
Please refer to 0X7000
working.png

You will also see QR code on your Switch screen.

7.2 Switch accepts but does not executes payload, which means your Switch is patched.
Please refer to 0X0000
not-working.png

Last edited by gnilwob, , Reason: update biskeydump version

Eds89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is it true that patched units running 4.1 are still open to the Deja Vu exploit, and may still be possible to hack in the future?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it true that patched units running 4.1 are still open to the Deja Vu exploit, and may still be possible to hack in the future?
Yes because Deja Vu is a software exploit meaning its dependent on the firmware of the console. These ipatched units have slightly modified hardware hence why they are immune to Fusee Gelee which is a hardware exploit.

Eds89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes because Deja Vu is a software exploit meaning its dependent on the firmware of the console. These ipatched units have slightly modified hardware hence why they are immune to Fusee Gelee which is a hardware exploit.

Excellent! I'm guessing that because I can't find any info on it it's still pending a release?
It is something the atmosphere guys are likely to release when their CFW is completed?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent! I'm guessing that because I can't find any info on it it's still pending a release?
It is something the atmosphere guys are likely to release when their CFW is completed?
The most likely release date for Deja Vu is when the new Mariko Units ship as these will not only block the Fusee Gelee exploit but many possible other unreleased bootrom exploits.

Eds89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The most likely release date for Deja Vu is when the new Mariko Units ship as these will not only block the Fusee Gelee exploit but many possible other unreleased bootrom exploits.
That makes perfect sense!

Cheers
Eds

MovingxTarget

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Important to note that when using a VM via Parallels or any method on Mac will give you 0x0002.

This DOES NOT mean your Switch is patched. The software works incorrectly with VM's.

Use Bootcamp or a real Windows computer. Turns out my Switch was unpatched. :)

Reactions: gnilwob

jamezco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you guys for sharing the walkthrough on how to check patched or not patched ... ^_^ ... Works ... XAJ700464XXXXX is definitely patched ...

Shadow147

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Hi guys!

So yeah I'm not sure if my Switch is gonna be able to be hacked so I want to test it but unfortunately I only have a Macbook Air, which means I don't have a disc drive to be able to install a Windows partition (I also don't own a flash drive unfortunately).

I have a jig so no hard-modding will be required or attempted and I'm just wondering-- Is there actually any risk to directly trying to load the CFW/payload so long as I keep the Switch in Airplane Mode?

If there isn't, surely just trying to do it could be my test?

Do please let me know if I'm being stupid here because I am very much a novice haha.

gnilwob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Hi guys!

So yeah I'm not sure if my Switch is gonna be able to be hacked so I want to test it but unfortunately I only have a Macbook Air, which means I don't have a disc drive to be able to install a Windows partition (I also don't own a flash drive unfortunately).

I have a jig so no hard-modding will be required or attempted and I'm just wondering-- Is there actually any risk to directly trying to load the CFW/payload so long as I keep the Switch in Airplane Mode?

If there isn't, surely just trying to do it could be my test?

Do please let me know if I'm being stupid here because I am very much a novice haha.

Well, if you are sure that your JIG is working (Switch boots into RCM).
You can use any fusee gelee launcher on MacOS and send biskeydump payload to test your switch.
If you can see QR code on switch screen, your switch is not patched.
If you cannot see QR code on switch screen, it is either your switch is not in RCM(JIG does not work properly) or your switch is patched.

Reactions: Shadow147

Shadow147

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Well, if you are sure that your JIG is working (Switch boots into RCM).
You can use any fusee gelee launcher on MacOS and send biskeydump payload to test your switch.
If you can see QR code on switch screen, your switch is not patched.
If you cannot see QR code on switch screen, it is either your switch is not in RCM(JIG does not work properly) or your switch is patched.

Super quick reply-- Thank you!

I'll give this a go later today and let you know :-)

Shadow147

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
...Nuts.

So the screen does stay dark when I hold the volume+ and power buttons for 5 seconds, but then when I plug it into the usb, the screen comes on as normal :-(

gnilwob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
...Nuts.

So the screen does stay dark when I hold the volume+ and power buttons for 5 seconds, but then when I plug it into the usb, the screen comes on as normal :-(

Which mean you didn't boot your switch to RCM at all.
It does not prove anything.

Shadow147

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Which mean you didn't boot your switch to RCM at all.
It does not prove anything.

Oh I thought the patched Switches are unable to boot into RCM at all?

I definitely made sure the jig was properly inserted, positioned and that I was properly holding down the buttons for long enough.

How else can you make sure, if it doesn't seem to be booting to RCM?

gnilwob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Oh I thought the patched Switches are unable to boot into RCM at all?

I definitely made sure the jig was properly inserted, positioned and that I was properly holding down the buttons for long enough.

How else can you make sure, if it doesn't seem to be booting to RCM?

If you have a windows machine, you can follow the step to get the RCM OK which mean that your device is on RCM.
If it is only black screen, you can't tell if it is turn off or it is on RCM.

Both patched and unpatched switch can boot into RCM but it will accept or reject unsigned payload accordingly.

Shadow147

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
If you have a windows machine, you can follow the step to get the RCM OK which mean that your device is on RCM.
If it is only black screen, you can't tell if it is turn off or it is on RCM.

Both patched and unpatched switch can boot into RCM but it will accept or reject unsigned payload accordingly.

:-( I don't have access to a Windows machine at the moment.

Is there currently no other way to check RCM on Mac?

gnilwob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
:-( I don't have access to a Windows machine at the moment.

Is there currently no other way to check RCM on Mac?

I do not have Mac so I cannot try or support it.
You will need a tool to detect if your Switch is on RCM to be able to "definitely" confirm that your console is patched or not.
This is to rule out the possibility that user may not know how to use JIG properly.

An "RCM OK" on tegrarcmgui on windows is one of the example to make sure that your device is on RCM.
You will have to find similar app on Mac. (I don't know any).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU