Hacking Homebrew A new way to experience StreetPass

sparkeee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! I am a musician with a knack for soft 3DS inspired tunes.... feel free to avoid bloat as its only a homebrew application, but I would like to propose perhaps a loading song! you can find it here:

htt_s://cdn.discordapp.c_m/attachments/638169370769752105/1235676508027355218/3ds_loading.mp3?ex=66353ced&is=6633eb6d&hm=1f2c4d2317533fd0c892c8abb22de39d57d58fc68f92b5b5df159a76f9fcd6c6&

(i know it looks very sketchy LOL dont have embed perms, dont use gbatemp too often. please replace the two _'s with a p and an o respectively)
its a demo made with synths ripped straight from 3DS and Wii software applications.

My favorite part of the 3DS was how it's applications were designed, a good balance of fun and responsiveness...made simple things like checking your playtime or changing your internet settings very charming. Blending in aesthetically with the 3DS system software would fit perfectly for a tool like this.
If you are interested, I would be happy to provide a menu tune as well! :)

edit: link shortener acted stupid sorry
ANOTHER edit: elaboration

Last edited by sparkeee,

Martyste

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yo, something unexpected happened, I encountered a Special Mii called "sans." from UK. Can people just hack their status in Special like that, or may I have encountered someone genuine?

Sludge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yo, something unexpected happened, I encountered a Special Mii called "sans." from UK. Can people just hack their status in Special like that, or may I have encountered someone genuine?

It's just a hack that people can use on their Mii. The hacked Mii streetpasses like a normal Mii, but gives all the special benefits of a special Mii.

KWG-08C

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sure there is, since one of the Netpasses I got (from someone named Chicago who confusingly lives in Missouri) showed up holding AIKATSU! Cinderella Lesson as her last played title somehow.
I didnt' know that! I got a couple people holding "hombrew launcher" as their last played title so I wondered if/how that could be possible..
Post automatically merged:

Thanks I guess I'll just keep using the app redirect to HB menu till they add the ability to select what game icon you pick. If thats possible. Till then I guess I'd recommend people use the app redirect method to stop everyone having the ring icon. Got a few people with the homebrew menu icon today so perhaps it's catching on.
What's the App redirect method you mention? It sounds familiar but I can't really remember what that is.

Mine is doing this too! Did you figure it out?
Whenever you get that error it just means you need to update.

Also, the app itself tells you there's a new version in the first line or so whenever you open it.

Last edited by KWG-08C,
Reactions: Traysqwa

ChronosNotashi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure devs already have their hands full, but it would be cool to print out which game is it checking the boxes for so we can more easily rule out what's causing the crashes
Yeah, I agree that this would be a good option in the long run, especially for more effective testing as you noted. As it's just numbers showing for each entry, it's hard to tell what games are having tags downloaded for. It'd certainly be less frustrating to address these issues on the user end (or do more thorough testing) if we didn't have to play guessing games when disabling StreetPass for titles.

Though it would also be nice to have the titles listed when uploading/downloading (even if shorterned if needed), so that we can see what games we get a lot of tags from. It'd be nice, for one, to see if there are many people exchanging weapon gems in Kid Icarus: Uprising. All that said, none of this should be a priority if there are more critical issues that need to be resolved first.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

It's just a hack that people can use on their Mii. The hacked Mii streetpasses like a normal Mii, but gives all the special benefits of a special Mii.
Word of warning though - adding gold pants to your mii can have adverse side effects. I know one such side effect being that a bunch of the miiplaza games crash or refuse to run if you alter your mii to have 'special' status.

Traysqwa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I didnt' know that! I got a couple people holding "hombrew launcher" as their last played title so I wondered if/how that could be possible..

What's the App redirect method you mention? It sounds familiar but I can't really remember what that is.

Whenever you get that error it just means you need to update.

Also, the app itself tells you there's a new version in the first line or so whenever you open it.
Thank you!!!

Reactions: KWG-08C

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this work just using custom firmware? As i stated before i can load it but it just sits there. I know its connected to the net as it shows that in the homebrew launcher and other homebrew can get internet.
Does it work with just ninja hax?

bobtheboffin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey all. I’m having an issue with Super Mario Maker and it’s ability to download courses via Streetpass/Netpass.

I’ve received one course so far this week, but every other one I’ve received shows an error:

“Course data from a newer version was received, so the data has been deleted.

Please download the update for this software.”

Yet I already have the latest version installed (ver 1.05).

I’ve Googled this error but literally nothing comes up.

Has anyone come across this before? Could this be a Netpass issue? (If not, is it worth me creating a new thread for this?)

Attachments

• 71054F77-AB41-4831-904D-61B6B4EBD828.jpeg
    71054F77-AB41-4831-904D-61B6B4EBD828.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
Reactions: wiiluver135

Sludge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this work just using custom firmware? As i stated before i can load it but it just sits there. I know its connected to the net as it shows that in the homebrew launcher and other homebrew can get internet.
Does it work with just ninja hax?
If I'm understanding your post correctly you just gotta wait, it doesn't hand out all the steetpasses at once. You run Netpass, exit out of it and then later run the app again to check if you've gotten any streetpasses.

It's random how many passes you get but at it's current rates it gives you around a streetpass every hour. Since it's random I've gotten 9 passes in about 4 hours, but I've also gotten nine passes after a full 10 hours.

PacDan16

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting almost the exact same thing View attachment 434788

I can report that this same error is happening on v0.2.5., now occuring every single time before I can choose a location -- looks like the error happrns always around after "Checking inbox 7/9" displays. If I manage to enter a location before that's shown on the bottom screen, I can bypass this error.

Last edited by PacDan16,

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I'm understanding your post correctly you just gotta wait, it doesn't hand out all the steetpasses at once. You run Netpass, exit out of it and then later run the app again to check if you've gotten any streetpasses.

It's random how many passes you get but at it's current rates it gives you around a streetpass every hour. Since it's random I've gotten 9 passes in about 4 hours, but I've also gotten nine passes after a full 10 hours.
i have left it for 1 hour it just sits there saying loading. I never get to select anything. the maker said its due to no internet connection but i know thats not the case. if i load it again it still does nothing. I cant even exit out of it. perhaps im just unlucky lol.

Last edited by Captain_N,

Sludge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have left it for 1 hour it just sits there saying loading. I never get to select anything. the maker said its due to no internet connection but i know thats not the case. if i load it again it still does nothing. I cant even exit out of it. perhaps im just unlucky lol.
Ah... in that case I have no idea what the heck is going on. Sorry about misunderstanding your post.

JohnIsAnIdiot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a suggestion, basically, for each of the areas (Train Station, Plaza and Mall) add an indicator of how many people are in a particular one, so that people know which one is more likely to work.

Also maybe an option to shorten the wait time from 10 hours.

Martyste

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have a suggestion, basically, for each of the areas (Train Station, Plaza and Mall) add an indicator of how many people are in a particular one, so that people know which one is more likely to work.

Also maybe an option to shorten the wait time from 10 hours.
I think that would take away part of the fun. Netpass isn't made for constant Streetpass checks like you went to a convention, it's meant to offer a more organic and unpredictable alternative to outdoors streetpassing. If we knew where most people are, then only 1 place would end up crowded and the two others become useless. I think 10 hours is more than enough, that was like the average amount of time we spent away from home during school if the commute is a bit long. If your goal is to grind streetpass games in a long session, then simply backup and recycle your CECD once you have gathered a bunch of streetpass checks. I used to do that before we had Netpass.

Reactions: Tarmfot

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe