Hacking A thread for GBA game testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenixclaws

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anything at all the wiki should include the version of the GBA Emulator the game was test on.. For instance v1.21.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Another World said:
@CannonFoddr: you have taken control, this is now your project. let me know if you want my help or not.

i'm curious why you are adding if it works with the game_config or not. the game_config is updatable, so in the future this comment could become incorrect. i think it is better to list the rom name - version of the scds2 gba emulator - user comments on if it works or how to get it working.

-another worldActually - it's out of my hands - some1 else has rearranged eveything I did. I had originally did something very much similar to what you're doing

QUOTE-
|align="center" style="background:white"|0001 - F-Zero for GameBoy Advance (J)(Mr. Lee) [25E3FC9A]
|align="center"|1.21
|align="center"|
|-
Except I didn't have the 'center' commands.
[according to the history of the page, it could've been either 'Overlord Nadrian' or 'Darkway' who's done it]

As for the 'game_config' I thought I'll add it so that people will know that GBA emulator by itself doesn't work but with the config it does (or not - as the case may be).
I know it's updateable - but I can't see people REMOVING entries from it only adding - in which case the third column would be updated as-&-when we get confirmation (I was going to add a line or two about WHICH game_config [date wise] was used to check)

@ Phoenixclaw - didn't you see the first line ?? I'd realised my mistake & added that afterwards

phoenixclaws

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
@ Phoenixclaw - didn't you see the first line ?? I'd realised my mistake & added that afterwards

When I had last looked at it at the time I had not seen it. But I just was making sure that particular bit was not forgotten.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm, I hadn't realized you were using the page for other stuff when I made the templates, sorry
frown.gif

I can Undo it all if you want

Just note that it's still possible to add games the normal way too, you don't have to use the template.

Other than that, the template works like this

Code:
{{SC_GBA|ROM Name|Result|Comment for Without game_config.txt|Comment for with game_config.txt}}

Where result can be:
Works / Working / Green -> Green background
Issues / Blue -> Blue background
Not Working / Doesn't work / Red -> Red background

But if you want me to get rid of it, I can probably do that

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Oh so it was You then who altered it .... so why didn't I see name show up on the history (or were you the IP address I saw) ????

Actually - I quite like your way: 1 Line/game + index jumping, instead of 3-4 lines/game like mine/'Another World' way
... but if we COULD get every game put up in the list up, even if it's not been tested, that would be nice

That way anyone with WIKI access can 'edit' > search (Ctrl+f) for game > change entry line, instead of worrying about the 'format' of the line,
although the page would still be quite long - the 'jump to' function does help

I was thinking however about what was said about the 'with game_config' column and version number of the GBA emulator...
I was thinking about a 4th colour (pale yellow perhaps or pale orange ??) for 'doesn't work unless you use game_config'
e.g. {{SC_GBA|name of game|needs|description of fault|game_config.txt dated:}}
then use the 3rd column instead for 'GBA Version/game_config date'

What does everyone else think ????

alidsl

I am now a lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
@ Cannonfoddr, I suggest you make a separate thread as the first post makes no sense when you click on the bottom link of the wiki page
Also more people will help if there's a new topic

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
alidsl said:
@ Cannonfoddr, I suggest you make a separate thread as the first post makes no sense when you click on the bottom link of the wiki page
Also more people will help if there's a new topic
Actually I don't believe I added that link right @ the bottom, but I'll do as you suggested & do a new post

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nadrian added the link (see first post on this page)
Anyway, I can easily change the templates to anything you want. I just need the format of the table
wink.gif

edit: also, my name does show up in the recent changes and the page history
tongue.gif

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nope, as I said, I added it, but go ahead and delete it if you want.

DarkWay didn't do anything, compare both versions he made and you'll see they are the same.

Anyways, I think Another World's method is better than ours, actually, because it would be A LOT easier if he just gave us the entire list of dumps and then we would only have to add whether it works or not, which problems it has and what to do to get it working.

EDIT: Damn tj beat me to the punch.
tongue.gif

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No it was Nadrian >,,< I just changed a game from not working to working with game_config.txt
Which I might add, took freaking ages to figure out O.O the format is horrible and it's all different here and there. if your going to do anything go with what Another World is proposing (sorry Nadrian
rofl2.gif
).
I know next to nothing about making a Wiki page but editing one and adding info/changing info I know how to do so I'll generally be around changing a few minor things here and there of what games work and what don't.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
About the game_config.txt personally I think if your using the GBAemu you should have the game_config.txt anyway, if you don't your really just creating annoyances for yourself until you get it.

We could take out works with/without game_config.txt altogether and just have a description of how it does/doesn't work, then the GBAemu version it was tested on.
I think this would be alot easier to manage.

and The Legend of Spyro should go under T in my opinian most games with "The" at the start of the title go under T.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
alidsl said:
Would "The legend of Spyro" go in 'L' or 'T'?
Good point - I always know it as 'The Legend Of Spyro' but have seen games labelled as 'Legend of Spyro, The'
- I suggest that any game that starts with 'The' should be under the letter of the next word (i.e. we ignore 'The' in the title) so 'The Legend of Spyro' will be known as 'Legend of Spyro'...'The Scorpion King' as 'Scorpion King' etc

Anyway - taken alidsl suggestion & done a new post about the WIKI format - find it here & I've changed the link on the WIKI page to point to this instead (also taken the liberty of suggesting the removal of 'the' from game titles)

If there's any changes you want to it, or mistakes I've made - post in this thread & I'll alter it

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
DarkWay said:
No it was Nadrian >,,< I just changed a game from not working to working with game_config.txt
Which I might add, took freaking ages to figure out O.O the format is horrible and it's all different here and there. if your going to do anything go with what Another World is proposing (sorry Nadrian
rofl2.gif
).
It wasn't me, but tj, as he and I already stated in our previous posts.

Wiki format isn't horrible, just read up on it a little and you'll know how to do everything in no time.

Also, wtf, you say you want to go with Another World's proposal, which I want to do too, yet you say 'sorry Nadrian'. That makes no sense whatsoever.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Overlord Nadrian said:
DarkWay said:
rofl2.gif
).
It wasn't me, but tj, as he and I already stated in our previous posts.

Wiki format isn't horrible, just read up on it a little and you'll know how to do everything in no time.

Also, wtf, you say you want to go with Another World's proposal, which I want to do too, yet you say 'sorry Nadrian'. That makes no sense whatsoever.

I didn't see tj mentioned in cannon's post -_- from that I presumed it was you >.> DAMN YOU PRESUMPTIONS!!!
and from that presumption I said sorry Nadrian because I thought it was you that had edited the wiki to look that way.

Also yes I know the format is easy to work with but its on every other line looking at it I can see capital letters here but then not there and different words being used her and there for games that work and don't and then the Format to be used when editing is not on the wiki page anywhere (which I think it should be).

Personally I think we should stick to |Works/Issues/Not Working|Description|GBAemu Version| (I'm not including the name e.c.t. just the bits after that).
It should also be ordered by Rom Number and not alphabetical as so far I have no idea whether the rom used was (E), (U), (J) e.c.t.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
DarkWay said:
About the game_config.txt personally I think if your using the GBAemu you should have the game_config.txt anywayTrue - but newbies (& I was one of them) won't know about the game_config at first
QUOTE said:
We could take out works with/without game_config.txt altogether and just have a description of how it does/doesn't work, then the GBAemu version it was tested on.
I think this would be alot easier to manage.I did suggest earlier a 4th colour for Doesn't work unless you use 'config' & using the 3rd column for version number - are you suggesting get rid of 3rd column and having in second column text like 'Works with game_config+GBA v1.21' instead of 'start up ok when not using config, but crashes when you press [start] on main menu' in 2nd column and 'Runs ok but laggy' under 3rd column

How about a compromise - 4th colour AND get rid of 3rd column ??
Comment everyone ???

Personally I think we should stick to |Works/Issues/Not Working|Description|GBAemu Version| (I'm not including the name e.c.t. just the bits after that).
It should also be ordered by Rom Number and not alphabetical as so far I have no idea whether the rom used was (E), (U), (J) e.c.t.
Are we talking
{{SC_GBA|007: Everything or Nothing|works|Works|}}

format or

{|
| Name
| Works
|}

Also, as long as people put in (U)(J)(E) in the title there shouldn't be a problem knowing which is which - I'm the opposite as you - when I look up a game I do it by name - 'cos I don't know the ROM number...

Here's a test - what game is '0498' or if I said 'What's the ROM number for xxxxx' - .. bet you have to look up the name in a chart won't you to find out
, but if I said 'Stuart Little 2 (U)' - you'll know exactly what game it is

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Since there's a depute over HOW the WIKI should be done - I've added a poll to the other post for you all to decide.

Can we agree we'll give it 2 weeks from today (12-6-10) for all results to come in.. then go by the majority vote on how the WIKI page should be done ??

Since I can only have 3 question in poll I can't cover all possiblilty

My preference is 'current layout' (1line/game editing, alphabetically), 2 columns (with version number in comments/issues'), 4th colour for 'works with config'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Thanks, dear. @K3Nv2