Gaming About playing DS games on a 3DS

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You're forgetting that the 3DS CPU is most likely consisting of two separate ARM units of equal processing power. One can be underclocked to the DS/DSi level to play the game, the other can deal with the menu in the meantime.

I assure you, the 3DS isn't capable of "emulating" the DS - it hasn't got nearly enough processing power. It can only mimic it at best.

The Wii couldn't perform such a feat simply because it could not Multitask. The 3DS is designed for multitasking.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Feels Good Man said:
Nollog said:
If you mean games that were DSi Enhanced to get the little extra boost from the slightly better cpu in the DSi, then yeah. But it'll be DSi level.
There's no 3DS Enhanced games. And most likely never will.

No, i'm talking about the better hardware overall. Let's compare this to a computer. When you buy a new CPU, GPU and whatnot, you get a performance upgrade in games thus leading to a better framerate.

Is it the same for the 3DS when playing DS games on it?
Not true.
Try playing the original version of doom on your 6990 graphics card.
It's impossible.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
QUOTE said:
No, i'm talking about the better hardware overall. Let's compare this to a computer. When you buy a new CPU, GPU and whatnot, you get a performance upgrade in games thus leading to a better framerate.

Is it the same for the 3DS when playing DS games on it?

IF you were to change the frequency the CPU is underclocked to, you could indeed manipulate the framerate in real-time, much like you can with a modified DS Lite and DS Fat. Making a comparison between PC's and consoles is silly here though, a different effect is at work here.

A console game is designed for a specific type of hardware. Once this hardware processes the calculations quicker than expected, the game simply works quicker than it normally would. It's THAT simple.

ByteMunch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
m3rox said:
8BitWalugi said:
m3rox said:
8BitWalugi said:
He's talking about if there's too many objects on screen, will the game lag slightly?

My guess is that it will. As stated earlier, the 3DS emulates DS.

No, it doesn't lag. Also, I'd like to see some proof that it's emulation. All I've seen thus far is people making assumptions.
I can't give a proper one, but this works.

Wii (Cube mode)- Wii accessories+controllers disabled. Reverts back to 480i.
3DS (DS mode)- Limits it's CPU+GPU, motion sensors disabled, home button works.

It might be small, but it's the main clue.

The home button working isn't a clue to anything. The home button on the PSP works while in-game. Does that mean that the PSP is emulating PSP games?

He means there was no home button on DS and it works on 3DS, and brings up a 3DS dialogue box. This means either it's emulation or theres another process just for the home button or theres magic.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There is actually a very easy way to determine whether it emulates the DS or not. If it does indeed emulate it, it will have the exact same or very similar batterly life in 3DS and DS mode, since it will have to use its entire processing prowess.

If it is underclocked, the battery life should be significantly larger due do less power consumption on lower frequencies.

...at least in theory.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
3DS OS running in background while DS games are executing. DS games don't have access to the Home button, but the 3DS OS does. 3DS OS has control on programs running, including DS games. 3DS OS sets environment for DS games before they run. Home button pressed, and 3DS OS halts DS execution and resets back to 3DS environment.

Simple as that.

Beige

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I've noticed some minor performance improvements with DS games. Namely Phantasy Star 0, but they are VERY minor, namely some lag reduction and less noticeable delays.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BigOnYa how are you doing