wink.gif

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i can do it on pc, but im just trying to provide any errors on akaio i come by, hoping smiths and normatt would look into it...plus im tryin to provide info how not to get fat error on nand when it freezes while reading/writing, just let the battery die out i guess

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There was some discussion a while back about making the loader external to the firmware (similar to how the AK2 can utilize alternate external loaders). Might that allow the menu system to be open source while the loader would remain closed-source, and is that still a possibility?

-Bri

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
thats interesting because as of the 1.3 beta v4 the loaders are external and working perfectly. depending on what they want to do with it the gui and menu system it could possibly be opensource now. after the recent m3 firmware (i-touch i think) contained acekard code without recognition i don't know how norm and smiths feel about releasing their source. also i'm not sure what remains commented out or contained in the menu system in relation to the ak2 and its closed source.

none of those comments really help to further this discussion.... =/

-another world

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Normmatt said:
UltraMagnus said:
so, this is based on the open source RPG firmware?

where is the source?

AKAIO will remain closed source as long as it supports the ak2.

you don't seem to understand, if you use GPL code, by law you are required to release the source if you distribute compiled binaries.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
UltraMagnus said:
Normmatt said:
UltraMagnus said:
so, this is based on the open source RPG firmware?

where is the source?

AKAIO will remain closed source as long as it supports the ak2.

you don't seem to understand, if you use GPL code, by law you are required to release the source if you distribute compiled binaries.

I am fully aware of that, but AKAIO as far as i know of the only GPL code that AKAIO uses is from Gelu and I've already asked his permission for using his code under a different licence.

The GUI while now seperate from the loaders if open sourced could allow korean support on any ak2 when it should only be allowed on the special korean ak2's, this is one issue i agreee with, because the person running the korea ak2 distribution is a friend. If you can provide me with evidence AKAIO is using GPL code then by all means point it out.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Normatt: thanks for clarifying the why
smile.gif
if you had mentioned it before now I missed it (and it makes much more sense to me than being protective of unencrypted loaders.)

Smiths: indeed, it's funny how that sort of thing comes up only when people don't get their way/say. Too rarely do the claims actually have merit... and sometimes absolutely no research is done to verify *insert license type here* even applies to the project.

AFAIK the AK loader is open source with a private/nearly non-existent license which grants no rights to any future source updates done by anyone.

Now, this is something I looked into briefly before monkeying with Gelu's code any (especially considering the hissy mess I gratefully got to miss by not having an AK earlier):
the license actually found in Gelu's svn (I see no signs of GPL anywhere in Gelu's source, though IIRC the libfat used is under BSD or similar)
http://code.google.com/p/acekard-3in1/source/browse/trunk/firmware/license.txt
QUOTE said:
/*---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2007 Acekard, www.acekard.com

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
THE SOFTWARE.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
According to this license, M3 (or any other flash cart makers, or for that matter anyone who feels like making a korean version for existing AK2's if they are capable of reversing certain things) are well within their rights to re-use anything they find in there without giving their source edits, provided the single "include this notice" isn't breached.

Even if Gelu's mods to the orginal AK source actually are under GPL (if so someone should mention to include such info in the source), it does not mean that Normatt would have to release any source outside of actual changes made to source used from a GPL'd project - using code from a GPL'd project in a private source project does not automatically make the entire project GPL (it does not grant public rights to the full source outside of GPL'd portions.)

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
not that i want to argue or turn this into a gpl discussion... i thought if you released your app to the public then any changes you made to the source (which previously didn't have to be released) has to be released. but if you keep the app private you can do what you like with the source and are not obligated to released your source.

cheers,
-another world

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the license that cory posted is correct (and the one AKAIO is licensed under) then it is the MIT License, which lets the author do virtually whatever they want with the code, and are under no obligation to release any source.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Another World said:
not that i want to argue or turn this into a gpl discussion... i thought if you released your app to the public then any changes you made to the source (which previously didn't have to be released) has to be released. but if you keep the app private you can do what you like with the source and are not obligated to released your source.
Indeed, if it (the original code base) was under a license that required future source changes to be made available then that would be the case - the base to AKAIO (AK RPG and AK2 loader source) isn't under GPL just because it's "open source" - the AK2 loader source was provided for AKAIO with far bigger restrictions on redistribution and use.

Read the bit in the spoiler I put - it's definitely not GPL (link) and is the only trace of a license I could find in either RPG or Gelu's loader/menu source.

edit:/ thanks kai445, I knew I had seen that one somewhere before
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Mobile app is such absolute dogshit, I haven't used it in SO long
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah mobile versions better people don't think about how apps are just shrunken down websites
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Could be the phone connection etc I've mostly been fine with the app
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Regardless fuck bezos
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Agreed. Crazy how both seeking a job at Amazon, and subsequently quitting Amazon, are both some of the best decisions I've ever made
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did someone loose a leg? You're fired
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs 55gb patch for hogwarts legacy
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Teslas are prob running Windows XP to this day.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    sometimes I wonder where I went wrong and why I'm so dissatisfied with my life
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Then I find myself arguing with someone on reddit about how blatantly wrong their understanding of the USB Power Delivery specification is.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    At 1 AM.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Where did I go wrong, again? 😕
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sicklyboy, What do you mean?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, always blame women
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Blame woke.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Blame society.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Woke isn't part of society they woke up from it
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    *spends years yelling "wake up sheeple"
    *acts shocked when they actually wake up
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Make up your mind.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You mean the government doesn't care? :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have no idea what you're talking about.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The government
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/clip/Ugkx4pNi-wvHyf8vhDN0x06Wf8J7aIgx_Hdp