An EASY(but a bit more risky) way to update Switch Firmware WITHOUT burning any fuses

So I know there is already a very detailed tutorial out there that is quite good and safer than what I am writing, but a number of people seem to be interested in the method I discovered and have tested.
If you are interested in the safer(perhaps) way please look at this thread:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/

So the way I figured out basically sets up autoRCM or Brickmii right after the update, before any fuses can be burned. This is why this is potentially risky, if you do not boot into rcm after the update restart before the regular switch os boots the fuses will be burned and you will not be able to downgrade (at least without some other caveats)

DISCLAIMER: I believe this procedure is safe, but I take no responsibility if you somehow do burn fuses, get banned online, or other wise damage or break(brick) your switch console or connected hardware.3

NOTE: AutoRCM and Brickmii have a good chance of causing a small bug that prevents the system from staying powered completely off for more than 30 seconds, there may be a fix for this in the future. Also note that if your console boots to RCM without a payload device or computer sending it, it will appear to be off and can not charge, but will drain battery. I personal find this mildly annoying but most of the time I can keep it asleep in dock or powered on.

Also NOTE: this manner of updates may affect your cart slot firmware and may make the slot not read carts when loading an old fw version.

Things you will need:
  • a rcm jig, or other reliable way to enter rcm (not autorcm or brickmii as they get removed during updates)
  • A SX pro widget or similar product, or a realiable way to load a payload like sx os or hekate

Steps:
  1. Back up everything (boot, raw nand, sd card, you can't be too safe) and keep it someplace safe and labeled
  2. Check the fuse info using hekate, note how many are burned, so you know what you expect to see after the update
  3. Boot up switch in OFW or CFW or even just plain with no mods or loaders
  4. Once booted have your RCM jig inserted and ready to go ( be sure you have confirmed that this actually works)
  5. using either a cartridge or updating via system settings (assuming you are comfortable going online, but I think this is safe) begin updating your system
  6. *MOST IMPORTANT* When the update is almost done or the second you see the complete notification hold the [VOL +] button. And continue holding it till you get to hekate or sx os menu.
  7. When the system reboots it should be in RCM mode, if you have a widget plugged in it should boot to SX OS or Hekate
    IF ON SX OS: navigate to tools and enable auto RCM.
    IF ON HEKATE: navigate to tools and enable brickmii.
  8. Boot into CFW and you will be on the updated fw without having burned fuses
  9. Feel free to use hekate menu to view the fuse info to confirm the fuses are in the same state.

Hope you find this useful.
P.s. I may post a guide on how to downgrade using backup, and a way to protect your cart slot fw as well in the future.

Euwlo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Have you tried running a backup that contains the firmware update you seek?

I have SX OS, I tried but It says that can't find the cartridge when I press update.

4.0.1 and 4.1 have the same burned fuses.(5) find a cartridge with 4.1 update.

but i don't see the point here. 4.0.1 and 4.1 exploitability wise, basically the same.

The point was to play newer games on SX OX.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have SX OS, I tried but It says that can't find the cartridge when I press update.
Well it seems there is a way, but it involves following another tricky guide. It turns out the exFAT update tutorials use the hidden game updates found on cartridges to update the system to that firmware with the exFAT update. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there is a way currently to extract that update onto an SD card or something and run it from the console (otherwise those tutorials would become obsolete).

Reactions: Euwlo

Pacote

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I can just update with the switch hooked on my computer and hold vol+ and when it restarts it would appear on the software and I can just boot hekate correct?

No actually need for a sx pro aye?

This is so risky that I wouldn't trust my magnet switch, will probably solder both pints together to be extra sure it will boot into rcm

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The question is, if I updated through rajkosto's tutorial to 5.1 and a higher FW comes out, can we simply update through official methods (online or cartridge) using your tutorial even if we did rajkosto's before?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The question is, if I updated through rajkosto's tutorial to 5.1 and a higher FW comes out, can we simply update through official methods (online or cartridge) using your tutorial even if we did rajkosto's before?
Indeed. Rajkosto's method is less prone to user error

Last edited by Draxzelex,

Maiken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just read above that it is possible to update the system and get exFAT at the same time. Just to make sure: installing exFAT doesn't format the microSD card?

Beb0P

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't boot through Hekate or SX OS V1.2+, your fuses will be permanently burnt.
Just so I'm clear, if I boot up SX OS main menu and then select boot original FW, then that won't burn any fuses right? I'm on 5.1.0 with only 5 burned. What we want to avoid is have autorcm off and forget to power on without the jig/dongle, which will start the stock horizon and do a fuse check and burn them.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just so I'm clear, if I boot up SX OS main menu and then select boot original FW, then that won't burn any fuses right? I'm on 5.1.0 with only 5 burned. What we want to avoid is have autorcm off and forget to power on without the jig/dongle, which will start the stock horizon and do a fuse check and burn them.
You can boot either OFW or CFW. As long as you're booting from SX OS or Hekate, you will be fine. If you boot up the console without going through either of those, your fuses will be permanently burnt.

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

noob question, I'm on 4.10 and updated from 4.01 using a game cart. I've 5 burnt fuses, I take it the above posters switch came with 5.1.0 on his when he bought it as he has 5 burned fuses ?. unless i burnt a fuse upgrading from 4.01 to 4.1 which is a minor update.
thanks

Beb0P

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can boot either OFW or CFW. As long as you're booting from SX OS or Hekate, you will be fine. If you boot up the console without going through either of those, your fuses will be permanently burnt.
Thanks for the quick response! Also for those nervous about using this simpler method I wanted to add that it worked great for me. I was fine with the extra risk since I have another console I'm leaving unhacked and rajkosto's method was a bit complicated for me since I'm more of a hacking newbie.

shchmue

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
noob question, I'm on 4.10 and updated from 4.01 using a game cart. I've 5 burnt fuses, I take it the above posters switch came with 5.1.0 on his when he bought it as he has 5 burned fuses ?. unless i burnt a fuse upgrading from 4.01 to 4.1 which is a minor update.
thanks
5 fuses is the normal amount for 4.x. this user would have to have upgraded to 5.1.0 using one of these no-fuse methods.

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
indeed risky.
today, i replaced my second backup loader switch sdhc with a sdxc and performed an update.
I was already on 5.1, so I thought it's just an exfat patch and wont remove autorcm, but that's not the case.:wacko:

i guess no more downgrading on this one.:)
fuses 5 to 6, sad story. no more deja vu:(

i will stick with rajkosto's method for the main online switch then.

Last edited by Sonansune,

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
indeed risky.
today, i replaced my second backup loader switch sdhc with a sdxc and performed an update.
I was already on 5.1, so I thought it's just an exfat patch and wont remove autorcm, but that's not the case.:wacko:

i guess no more downgrading on this one.:)
fuses 5 to 6, sad story. no more deja vu:(

i will stick with rajkosto's method for the main online switch then.

:O from the very helpful Draxzelex.

You still need to insert an exFAT formatted SD card HOWEVER if you try to install the exFAT update officially, it will try to burn your fuses again so you will have to follow this guide again.

Reactions: Draxzelex

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn I have 8 modded rgh3 x360 slims I've done, I need to get rid of, I figured my family members or friends would want but times have changed. Think I'm gonna stop buying them and modding. Time to Switch it up (pun intended)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yay power outages
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, I'm your friend
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There literally no storms in your area, does it go out alot? You need to just send me your slim n ill rgh3 it free.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or grow sum balls and do it yourself, not hard. More of a pain to jailbreak a ps4 than it is the 360, other than little soldering.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Problem is my dick gets in the way
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea true, would be a pain having that on your forehead
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The chicks love it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Every damn time there's a loud noise dudes car alarm goes off freaking annoying
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Stun gun the metal of the car (door, bumper, etc), you won't hear it again, promise.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    damn accidentally ripped my car cover just now
    happens
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or plant drugs get him evicted
    the one on my other car is all ripped up
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not your $400 car cover :ohnoes:
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There you go, thinking with your "dickhead"
    some day the wind will blow so hard it'll rip in half
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think in big inches
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @realtimesave Can you sew it back together? Or is it not worth trying.
    nah sewing it will make it come apart more :)
    that one is pretty old
    the one on my mercedes is a couple years old. these things don't last very long at all
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you near sea/salt water, or in general they just don't last. Sounds like if you driving a mercedes, you need a garage. I get snow n ice here so nothing worse than clearing that shit off at 6am rushing to get to work.
    I'm a few miles away from the salt water
    +1
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I'm a few miles away from the salt water +1