Hacking Android on Wii U?

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I mean is that fully porting Android to PowerPC, along with the VM, would still not make it a fully operational Android distribution, much like it's the case with Android for x86 - sometimes emulation just works out better. As for the tricore Linux, it's available, but it runs in Wii Mode and does not utilize the full potential of the system. I'm well-aware of Maxternal's work, but a native Wii U version would be heaps and bounds better. ;)

Goku Junior let me clarify this a bit. Essentially the state Trinux is currently in, is very limited atm, for one we don't have real graphics drivers yet, two no gui yet and three while those additional cores of the espresso processor are technically available to use, we haven't figured out how to utilize them just yet. Ninja_Carver and I are currently working to get a GUI up and running. Only after that can we really focus on actual graphics drivers and utilizing those additional cores. Once we get all that done (assuming there's a full blown kernel exploit out to the masses for Wii U mode, by then) this "could" be ported over to Wii U mode to fully utilize ALL of the Wii U's hardware.

The way we're running Trinux now is under whats known as a "hardware sandbox" where essentially all of the Wii U's hardware is disabled (with the exception of its main CPU, the Espresso Processor). Thanks to the brilliant work of Maxternal and Team F0F, we are actually able to access the Espresso processor. So basically, in a nutshell we're running this in altered vWii state. Think of Trinux as running on a suped up Wii instead of a full blown Wii U. Again, in its current state, its very limited, but as we get more things up and running and learn more about the Espresso processor, things will get better and better. And like I said before, once we're able to fully utilize all of the hardware that we DO have access to in this altered vWii mode, this could be ported over to Wii U mode to unlock its full potential :).

Reactions: Goku Junior

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I personally prefer a resistive screen, at least on the 3DS. It's better for drawing/handwriting. A cap touchscreen has little benefit for this purpose.
You can do that just as easily on a cap screen with a stylus, plus you get the benefit of multitouch if you choose to use your hands.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
imo xbmc would be a better option than installing android.
Would it? Don't even dream of having the Wii U decode MPEG-4 video (H.264) in 720p, let alone 1080p. The hardware may be good enough for SD content, but it'd require serious reworking of current ffmpeg/libavcodec implementations just to fit the Wii U. No way you can use the Wii U as a media center in any good capacity.

You'd be better off getting a Chromecast, Apple TV, whatever, and stream from your iPhone/Android.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
You can do that just as easily on a cap screen with a stylus, plus you get the benefit of multitouch if you choose to use your hands.
You do know multitouch enabled resistive screens have been implemented for many years now? There's just little benefit to them in the applications where a resistive touch screen is preferred, such as on 3DS and Wii U.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You do know multitouch enabled resistive screens have been implemented for many years now? There's just little benefit to them in the applications where a resistive touch screen is preferred, such as on 3DS and Wii U.
Multitouch resistive screens are few and far between, they're difficult to implement and the 3DS or the Wii U certainly don't have one - capacitive screens are a better and more cost-effective choice for multitouch and that's just a fact. There's as much benefit in their application as there is on mobile phones and tablets, programs like Art Academy or KORG as well as many games could benefit greatly from multitouch support, don't defend the choice of obsolete technology.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally prefer a resistive screen, at least on the 3DS. It's better for drawing/handwriting. A cap touchscreen has little benefit for this purpose.

They could have easily switched to a far superior wacom digitizer instead, but its nintendo, they like to use extremely outdated hardware then charge a premium for it

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Multitouch resistive screens are few and far between, they're difficult to implement and the 3DS or the Wii U certainly don't have one - capacitive screens are a better and more cost-effective choice for multitouch and that's just a fact. There's as much benefit in their application as there is on mobile phones and tablets, programs like Art Academy or KORG as well as many games could benefit greatly from multitouch support, don't defend the choice of obsolete technology.
Not defending anyone/anything here. Capacitive screens (with or without a pen digitizer) require styluses made specifically for them. Even the most expensive styluses for the iPad are no good. Wacom/N-trig pen digitizers are very good, but come at a premium and their use on a 3DS / Wii U would be very limited. Further, you can use anything as a "stylus" on a 3DS / Wii U, including your fingernails. That in itself is a top reason in my opinion to use a resistive touch screen. As of yet, there haven't been any good games for the iOS/Android devices that really make use of multitouch, so your examples of the KORG music applications and Art Academy really doesn't hold my interest. They're a tiny minority in a sea of great many games that use the touch screen for simple inventory systems and puzzle solving. For that purpose, saving costs with a resistive touch screen that is adequate for the job sounds like a good call from Nintendo. Of course, I can't deny the 3DS was priced high at launch, but at its current price it's actually good value for the money. Just look at the quality of the games (and I'm not talking about graphics) and compare them to something like the Vita, which has a capacitive touch screen and much better technical specs. Still, it doesn't mean the Vita is the better handheld system. Just my 20 cents.

Goku Junior

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Goku Junior let me clarify this a bit. Essentially the state Trinux is currently in, is very limited atm, for one we don't have real graphics drivers yet, two no gui yet and three while those additional cores of the espresso processor are technically available to use, we haven't figured out how to utilize them just yet. Ninja_Carver and I are currently working to get a GUI up and running. Only after that can we really focus on actual graphics drivers and utilizing those additional cores. Once we get all that done (assuming there's a full blown kernel exploit out to the masses for Wii U mode, by then) this "could" be ported over to Wii U mode to fully utilize ALL of the Wii U's hardware.

The way we're running Trinux now is under whats known as a "hardware sandbox" where essentially all of the Wii U's hardware is disabled (with the exception of its main CPU, the Espresso Processor). Thanks to the brilliant work of Maxternal and Team F0F, we are actually able to access the Espresso processor. So basically, in a nutshell we're running this in altered vWii state. Think of Trinux as running on a suped up Wii instead of a full blown Wii U. Again, in its current state, its very limited, but as we get more things up and running and learn more about the Espresso processor, things will get better and better. And like I said before, once we're able to fully utilize all of the hardware that we DO have access to in this altered vWii mode, this could be ported over to Wii U mode to unlock its full potential :).

OK, thanks for the explanation!, so Trinux it's very limited, the only part of the system that we can use it's the CPU? running Linux with only 91MB it's terrible I think, I was hoping installing Trinux in my Wii U, but I better wait for a Full hardware use version, you say that it don't have GPU drivers yet so for now it isn't very useful, but it's something!.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, partially because I think multitouch is the future and resistive screens are a relict of the past that's only useful for perhaps drawing pads, partially because I actually like a lot of PSVita games and I think they hold up perfectly fine against 3DS ones. Styluses for capacitive screens work perfectly fine and if you think that you really need pixel-perfect precision on a 320x240 screen then that's okay by me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @genistopitauniverfrocrami, What drugs is this dude on?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    CRAZY HAMBURGER
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @NinStar both nes remix 1 and 2 had some stinkers in there
    +1
    but at least 2 doesn't have sports games
    loved nes remix, but hated having to play Baseball, Tennis and Golf in order to progress
    +1
    or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.
    Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol
  • cearp @ cearp:
    What stuff were you burning?
    I used to burn tons of dvds (data files) many years ago, but haven't burnt a disk in ages.
    My car actually reads MP3 CD's lol
    So mix CDs for myselt :)
    Pantera, Metallica, Hollywood Undead, Five Finger Death Punch, some others lol
    I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol
    if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I hope your brother is doing ok Mr BakerMan
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool
    +1
    BakerMan yeah me too.... maybe that's gonna be dinner for me there is this place near me I have been dying to try and they have them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I miss usb mp3 players they were shit but at the time a go to
    @The Real Jdbye, I thought about that and I have blank DVD's and Blurays but honestly after like 90 songs I just listen to it a couple of hundred times toss it out and burn something else or have like 2-3 CD's. Florida here the heat in the car tends to ruin the CD's after like a few months even commercial pressed ones don't last too long.
    my music collection is just too big, i require variety
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: my music collection is just too big, i require variety