Hacking Anyone made a gamecube memory to SD card adapter?

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just hoping that someone with experience in this can help me out.
I'm trying to make an adapter out of an official GC memcard and an SD socket that I pulled out of a broken card reader.

I found a diagram fore the wiring but still have some questions.

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
yea, scorpei's the man to talk to about that... but what kinda SD adapter do you need, will an older card reader work? they sent a free one with my M3L, after i had bought a better one...

shtonkalot

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well I soldered it up and it looks all good. Doesn't seem to want to work.
Anyone know if I have to use a certain filesystem, FAT 16 or 32?
Is there a size limit for the SD card?

OK got it working, think it was just a trace that needed cutting on the card pcb.
Now I just have to make it look pretty!

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Useful diagram for whoever wants it:
diagl4.png

VDD can go to either of the 3.3V contacts. Sense contacts must be bridged (possibly they are already if you look at the back of the PCB). The ground contacts are also possibly bridged on the memcard pcb, if that's the case you could solder VSS1 to one ground contact and VSS2 to the other.

I was gonna put up some pictures of my one, but I can't find the camera.

shtonkalot

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OK, I had to do some hacking to get everything to fit in the memory card case but it'll fit.
I'm gonna glue it together soon so I took some pics.

You can see in this one I've cut away most of the PCB. I had to do this so that the SD socket would fit without pushing the top of the memory card case up.
sd3.jpg

Here's the guts laying in the case.
sd4.jpg

And how it looks all together with card in. I'm only holding it together in the pic, I'm about to epoxy it closed.
sd2.jpg

There are some more pics here.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Looks good
smile.gif
, good thing you used small wires and soldered them to the traces (rather then the pads like the one in my example). Personally I would have choosen a different memory card (one similar to mine, so you won't need to glue it shut but can use screws) but the standard one works like a charm
smile.gif

Two things; 1. Could you tell me what size SD cards you find work for you? Personally I've tested 2 Gb SD, 1Gb miniSD, 1Gb microSD and 128Mb microSD. The only thing I got working (with the latest snesgx) was the 128 Mb card
tongue.gif
2. Could you make a set of those pics in a zip file or something (feel free to add a banner or something)? I'll put them up with my guide (pics help so good). PM me for mail details if you want to
wink.gif

shtonkalot

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Looks good
smile.gif
, good thing you used small wires and soldered them to the traces (rather then the pads like the one in my example). Personally I would have choosen a different memory card (one similar to mine, so you won't need to glue it shut but can use screws) but the standard one works like a charm
smile.gif

Two things; 1. Could you tell me what size SD cards you find work for you? Personally I've tested 2 Gb SD, 1Gb miniSD, 1Gb microSD and 128Mb microSD. The only thing I got working (with the latest snesgx) was the 128 Mb card
tongue.gif
2. Could you make a set of those pics in a zip file or something (feel free to add a banner or something)? I'll put them up with my guide (pics help so good). PM me for mail details if you want to
wink.gif
1> the only card I've tested was a FAT16 formatted 1GB standard SD. The card in the pics is just an Mini-SD adapter with a dummy Mini-SD card. It's the only SD I have here at the moment. I have a Kingston 1GB micro-SD too but I'll have to dig it out.
I tested it with the SNESGX download from your tutorial and it worked fine.

2. Is .rar fine? I'd be quite happy for you to put your site banner on them if you want to host them. I can send you the larger versions of the pics if you like. All I ask for is a mention in the article along the lines of: Pictures of Shtonkalot's mod from the forums at GBAtemp.net

PM me your email addy and I'll get them off to you tonight.

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thanks great info btw.

Prob build me a TF version so i can finally get use of my Kingston Taiwan in something i guess. if it does not work, i dont know what that kingston crap card is good for then.

figured i'd make a diagram also for those having trouble obtaining a SD socket or trying to do what i'm doing, could also try soldering those MicroSD adapters that come with almost every TF cards or ripp a micro SD socket from a broken card reader (IE M3simply/R4DS first batch usb readers)

Card.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==