Gaming Anyone Successfully Fixed the 'Red Ring of Death'?

personager

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After two years, my XBOX 360 finally managed to get the 'RRoD'. I can't bear to see all that money wasted and it just lying over there with no purpose. I'm planning on fixing it using one of the numerous guides on the internet (by searching on Google) or YouTube. My question is; has anyone actually successfully fixed the 'RRoD' themselves by using one of these guides? I don't mean the towel trick or anything but actually opening it up and properly fixing it. Fixing one of these things actually needs a lot of time, tools and work and before I start investing in all of these things, I need some confirmation if anyone over here's actually been successful with this.

Any answers are greatly appreciated
Thanks

personager

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
da_head said:
i was under the impression that if you sent it back to M$ they would replace it free of charge?
My 360's modded. That's the problem

Commadore64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xclamp fix works for me on over 6 systems
Dont use cheap thermal paste - get Artic Silver 5

Advice:
Dont put a ton of AS on the chips - put very little like just a little dot of it and smear it on the chip with your finger and try to make it smooth

Some xclamp fix shows just the GPu being fixed - may as well clean off CPU and put new AS paste on it too

Now I had 1 system that was a pain in the ass that I used the penny trick with and it seemed to work - I put a little AS termal paste on the pennies too

Once you think you got it right - plays some games on it for a few hours before bolting it up - incase it RROD's and you know where the "sweet spots" are.

Good luck

DarkCrudus

The Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i fixed mine by myself, i used 8washers and arctic silver 5 thermal paste

haha i had actually bought mine broken with the rrod for $40 haha fixed it n hacked it xD

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the x-clamp fix works well, i know this from many of my friends doing it. It's nothing really tricky, and you've modded your 360, so im guessing it shouldn't be a prob for you :S

Don't even think about the towel trick, i mean yeah it works, for a week or so, and then RRoD. It just messes up your 360 even more, i mean you might as well shoot yourself then doing/trying it.

RRoD sucks, can't MS just make something that just works
sleep.gif

personager

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
darkcrudus said:
i fixed mine by myself, i used 8washers and arctic silver 5 thermal paste

haha i had actually bought mine broken with the rrod for $40 haha fixed it n hacked it xD
Did you follow any guide or anything, or did you just do it completley by yourself, using your own knowledge?
Are those the only things you used or did you use other things as well because in the guide that I've given a link to above, it suggests buying a lot of things like; Panhead screws and a 'hand drill to widen stuff?'

Posts merged

QUOTE(Maz7006 @ Jul 7 2009, 10:12 PM) RRoD sucks, can't MS just make something that just works
sleep.gif
I can't agree with you more.

DarkCrudus

The Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i had followed some guide, dont member where i got it, but... i hade removed the xclamps, cleaned the old thermal paste off the heatsinks with rubbing alcohol, applied the new stuff, put the heatsinks back on and kinda pressed the board n heatsinks together so it sticks and i could flip it over with out it falling off. then i put the washers on each of the 8 prongs sticking out from the bottom (where the xclamps go) then i put the xclamps back on, (this part is really tough, and they will be super tight) then i had unplugged the fans on my box. and then turn it on, letting it run for a bit (dont remember exact time) so it would heat up. then let it rest. plug fans back in, re assemble and ya got a workin box =] (ill try to find the guide i used for ya)

here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5axYHeG4Xeo

personager

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
darkcrudus said:
i had followed some guide, dont member where i got it, but... i hade removed the xclamps, cleaned the old thermal paste off the heatsinks with rubbing alcohol, applied the new stuff, put the heatsinks back on and kinda pressed the board n heatsinks together so it sticks and i could flip it over with out it falling off. then i put the washers on each of the 8 prongs sticking out from the bottom (where the xclamps go) then i put the xclamps back on, (this part is really tough, and they will be super tight) then i had unplugged the fans on my box. and then turn it on, letting it run for a bit (dont remember exact time) so it would heat up. then let it rest. plug fans back in, re assemble and ya got a workin box =] (ill try to find the guide i used for ya)

here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5axYHeG4Xeo
Thanks man, really appreciate it.

shiv187

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I did a lot of X360 to succesfully work again after the "Red Lights of Death"/ So through all of my experience with X360 repairing, -- I'm extremely advising you to
use THIS tutorial/ Also try to look at llama.com, but don't use their guide fully, here is just one little moment you may need
for your fix:
"Now for the most important part and most likely the point where the majority of people who were unsuccessful completing this fix failed.

This step requires you to overheat your GPU. Many tutorials tell you to unplug your fan and turn it on until it overheats. There is one major flaw with this approach. The thermosistor for the overheating protection of the 360 is contained within the CPU. The problem is that the CPU overheats without any airflow before the GPU is able to get sufficiently hot to "reflow" the BGA solder connection that has failed.
In order to cool the CPU but not the GPU it is again important to have your fan shroud removed. Now take your fan that IS plugged in and lay it on top of your DVD drive with one of the fan's over the top of the CPU. This will keep the CPU plenty cool to prevent it from overheating while the GPU will get smokin' hot; like burn your finger hot!
Now power on your 360. Some boxes may just work at this point because just pressure alone was enough to make the GPU's connection good. I still like to overheat even those just to make sure I don't have to deal with it again. So now you should be getting the three red lights like your were expecting. You want to overheat the unit for at least 10 to 15 minutes. The key is in the lights; as long as it is flashing the 3 red lights (1,3,4) then your are in good shape and the overheating process is working. What you DO NOT WANT is for the unit to actually overheat giving your TWO flashing red lights (1,3) at which point the 360 cuts off power to both the CPU and GPU preventing them from actually getting hot. Again is probably the difference between someone who succeeds and someone who fails."

So if you'll make everything as I advised you, there will be a very high chance that your console will start to work. I hope it wiil be OK, - but even after you succesfully fix your console, --don't forget to get a better cooling to it. --the most easiest way is to turn your standard fans to 12V(there are many ways to do it)/

And first of all rule: -- do not hurry/

shiv187

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Yeah! And excuse me, - I almost forgot to told you possibly the best choice for you/ NO matter if you console is modded or not,
-- it will 100% really works if you live in normal civilized country(like US, EU and many others)/
Your 360 is 2 year old, --right?! --Then just get yourself a new guarantee seal sticker or whatever it called($hit I don't know your language so good) just this little line of plastic and the word "Microsoft" written on it from ebay, --those guys gettting it by using hairdryer(I've tried it too), and after you did it -- put the seal back to its place then send your Xbox360 to microsoft, they will send it back to you in repaired state according to their 3-year warranty promise programm, this scheme of swindle is fully working and succesfully checked by my own friends/

Mist3rJ3r3my

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
shiv187 said:
Yeah! And excuse me, - I almost forgot to told you possibly the best choice for you/ NO matter if you console is modded or not,
-- it will 100% really works if you live in normal civilized country(like US, EU and many others)/
Your 360 is 2 year old, --right?! --Then just get yourself a new guarantee seal sticker or whatever it called($hit I don't know your language so good) just this little line of plastic and the word "Microsoft" written on it from ebay, --those guys gettting it by using hairdryer(I've tried it too), and after you did it -- put the seal back to its place then send your Xbox360 to microsoft, they will send it back to you in repaired state according to their 3-year warranty promise programm, this scheme of swindle is fully working and succesfully checked by my own friends/
Don't they check for signs of opening before sending you a new one? Don't get me wrong wen I modded my box I pealed the sticker off perfectly and kept it and I still have it. I hope I'm wrong about the checking because this is wat I'm gonna do if mine ever rrod

shiv187

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Mist3rJ3r3my said:
shiv187 said:
Don't they check for signs of opening before sending you a new one? Don't get me wrong wen I modded my box I pealed the sticker off perfectly and kept it and I still have it. I hope I'm wrong about the checking because this is wat I'm gonna do if mine ever rrod

No, - they absolutely don't care about it, it was checked(!), though logically, if you don't mean by "signs of opening" that it's a real mess of cracked garbage of course! And also I heard many details and rumours that MS will send you a repaired X360 unit, even if your old broken console has no seal intact at all, - but unfortunately - personally I don't know nobody who was tough-risky enough to try this.

personager

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
darkcrudus said:
looking forward to hearin if ya get your box workin again =]
Same here man, hope it works. Will report back

shiv187 said:
I did a lot of X360 to succesfully work again after the "Red Lights of Death"/ So through all of my experience with X360 repairing, -- I'm extremely advising you to
use THIS tutorial/ Also try to look at llama.com, but don't use their guide fully, here is just one little moment you may need
for your fix:
"Now for the most important part and most likely the point where the majority of people who were unsuccessful completing this fix failed.

This step requires you to overheat your GPU. Many tutorials tell you to unplug your fan and turn it on until it overheats. There is one major flaw with this approach. The thermosistor for the overheating protection of the 360 is contained within the CPU. The problem is that the CPU overheats without any airflow before the GPU is able to get sufficiently hot to "reflow" the BGA solder connection that has failed.
In order to cool the CPU but not the GPU it is again important to have your fan shroud removed. Now take your fan that IS plugged in and lay it on top of your DVD drive with one of the fan's over the top of the CPU. This will keep the CPU plenty cool to prevent it from overheating while the GPU will get smokin' hot; like burn your finger hot!
Now power on your 360. Some boxes may just work at this point because just pressure alone was enough to make the GPU's connection good. I still like to overheat even those just to make sure I don't have to deal with it again. So now you should be getting the three red lights like your were expecting. You want to overheat the unit for at least 10 to 15 minutes. The key is in the lights; as long as it is flashing the 3 red lights (1,3,4) then your are in good shape and the overheating process is working. What you DO NOT WANT is for the unit to actually overheat giving your TWO flashing red lights (1,3) at which point the 360 cuts off power to both the CPU and GPU preventing them from actually getting hot. Again is probably the difference between someone who succeeds and someone who fails."

So if you'll make everything as I advised you, there will be a very high chance that your console will start to work. I hope it wiil be OK, - but even after you succesfully fix your console, --don't forget to get a better cooling to it. --the most easiest way is to turn your standard fans to 12V(there are many ways to do it)/

And first of all rule: -- do not hurry/

QUOTE(shiv187 @ Jul 8 2009, 10:02 PM)
Thanks for the advice and help. I'll take everything you said into consideration.

personager

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
looking forward to hearin if ya get your box workin again =]
QUOTESame here man, hope it works. Will report back

Got it working. Once again, thanks everyone who contributed to solving my problem in this thread. Couldn't have done it without you guys

and it's bust again....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/zzu0VHzy7tU?si=V2sI-JSptJg0SWmC