Anyways

Eon-Rider

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kablooza.co.cc
XP
Country
One thing that has always been annoying me in the last three or so years is how Americans (more so than others) tend to use the word "anyway" incorrectly. Of course English is an evolving language as we've seen from old works of literature but still, I find it incredibly ironic how Americans are said to be lazy and you guys actually ADD an extra letter to a proper word to make it non-standard. It's almost contagious. I certainly don't remember many people using the word 5 or so years ago but maybe that's because I didn't care as much back then.

Anyways, it's anyway and not anyways.

Oh, and I know some of you will be smartarses and use it in your comment just to piss me off so don't even bother trying.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ummm.... OK. Anyways.......
smile.gif

Darn it, you edited your post.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TDWP FTW said:
Yes, "anyway" is proper, but "anyways" flows off the tongue and sounds better both spoken and when read.
I tend to do that too ^^' It's kind of like saying "Drawing" As "Drawling", it's a slip of the tongue.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Eon-Rider said:
One thing that has always been annoying me in the last three or so years is how Americans (more so than others) tend to use the word "anyway" incorrectly. Of course English is an evolving language as we've seen from old works of literature but still, I find it incredibly ironic how Americans are said to be lazy and you guys actually ADD an extra letter to a proper word to make it non-standard. It's almost contagious. I certainly don't remember many people using the word 5 or so years ago but maybe that's because I didn't care as much back then.

Oh, and I know some of you will be smartarses and use it in your comment just to piss me off so don't even bother trying.

Are you part of the grammar police or something, its the internet, just because people are literate doesn't mean they can/care to spell right, let it be.

Eon-Rider

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kablooza.co.cc
XP
Country
DigitalDeviant said:
Eon-Rider said:

Are you part of the grammar police or something, its the internet, just because people are literate doesn't mean they can/care to spell right, let it be.
I hear it in videos and real life too. No I'm not part of the grammar police. I'm part of the spelling police. Grammar and spelling aren't the same thing. Grammar is the structure of the English language where as spelling it the correct form of each individual word.

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Eon-Rider said:
DigitalDeviant said:
Eon-Rider said:

I hear it in videos and real life too. No I'm not part of the grammar police. I'm part of the spelling police. Grammar and spelling aren't the same thing. Grammar is the structure of the English language where as spelling it the correct form of each individual word.
No, your not the spelling police. Nor is anyone else, nor will there ever be an official, government assigned spelling or grammar police unless a new odd type of government takes rule.

Eon-Rider

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kablooza.co.cc
XP
Country
BobTheJoeBob said:
No, you're not the spelling police. Nor is anyone else, nor will there ever be an official, government assigned spelling or grammar police unless a new odd type of government takes rule.
Well I was joking.. Also, I kindly corrected the error in that post.

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Eon-Rider said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
No, you're not the spelling police. Nor is anyone else, nor will there ever be an official, government assigned spelling or grammar police unless a new odd type of government takes rule.
Well I was joking.. Also, I kindly corrected the error in that post.
I was joking to. Thank you for your correct correction, I always make that mistake.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
I use it all the time. Does that make me stupid?

Is somebody adding an extra letter to one word something that invalidates all their other intellectual achievements? Are you going to refuse to date somebody because they add an extra letter?
Well, that depends on where the letter is.

Someone says that I'm a cut above the rest, I like that.
Someone says that I'm a cunt above the rest, I don't like that.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
_Chaz_ said:
Rydian said:
I use it all the time. Does that make me stupid?

Is somebody adding an extra letter to one word something that invalidates all their other intellectual achievements? Are you going to refuse to date somebody because they add an extra letter?
Well, that depends on where the letter is.

Someone says that I'm a cut above the rest, I like that.
Someone says that I'm a cunt above the rest, I don't like that.

Win.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    I stopped believing or caring about that dude when I found out about some of the more questionable nonsense he did in his life.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Like what? I didn't know or hear.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You mean like every famous person that ever existed
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get so tired of hearing oh I liked him until...
    I just know dude was a chronic alcoholic and such.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been to his chicken restaurant he started in his 2nd movie, Holy Chicken, was pretty good. It is only 15-20 miles from me in Ohio. It only lasted 1 yr or so then closed tho.
    There are very few people I just have just an immense dislike of and he's one of those very few people, the only other example is Gene Simmons. My musician uncle on my mother's side of the family actually met Gene once during some event and said he was the most unpleasant person to be around.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I met myself once turns out that guy is a giant piece of shit that doesn't deserve any of my respect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn alcoholics! (Sshhh- Opens another beer)
    Agreed, Ken
    I can't say I've ever tried even a sip of beer tbh-
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You met yourself also and is a giant piece of shit?
    +1
    Then again, I don't think I'd really enjoy it //shrug
    I'm sure it's an acquired taste :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Poor lad can never enjoy the amazing taste of four loko
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Root beer is a gateway drink, don't ever try it either.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, don't you love how smooth MD20 is
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mad dog 20 20? Oh yea fixed the typo. I haven't seen that or had forever. Do they still make it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think it's why I'm alive
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What happens if when playing Paper Mario, you start a fire in-game?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Paper Mario is a drug dealer and he is all about the paper yo lol
    +1
    Ffft
    On another note, I love how folks are drawing Callie in that suit that Splatoon NA dropped on Twitter
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: On another note, I love how folks are drawing Callie in that suit that Splatoon NA dropped on...