The Guitar Guy
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
kmeaw released a newer version of the asbestos installer which lets you load up linux without an ethernet cable. I've tested it myself and it works.
biggrin.gif
Really blurred screen though for some reason but atleast it's progress.

AsbestOS Installer v1.2

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'll still be a while before someone (wishful thinking would be nvidia, but most likely have to be some other guy) can make a proper RSX driver.

Once that happens, I'll be all for Linuxing again. And hopefully having things work right this time. I never could figure out why half the time an installation always seemed to bork, even when using fresh discs to burn, and the like, one install would bork immediately after an update, while the next would actually still work fine.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
TVs are very blurry compared to computer monitors.

People just don't notice most of the time because they sit like 1.5 feet from their monitor, but like 9 feet from their TV...

For SDTV's this is true, but if you're using a modern TV, it's shouldn't be any worse than many computer monitors. I don't know what resolutions this Linux is running in, but 720p or 1080p shouldn't, in general, give a blurry picture. Even 480p (EDTV) shouldn't be blurry, just low resolution compared to HD. Not sure about 1080i, the interlacing may cause issues, that's part of the problem with SDTV, it's all interlaced. Of course, you'll get the best results running at your set's native resolution, scaling it could introduce blurriness, I suppose. Still, nowhere near the way SDTV's were blurry.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this has always been the case with every "TV" in my personal experience. Even when using VGA or component video cables for example. Even now, it's difficult to get a graphics card with a native HDMI unless you're settling for a low-end or home theater specific model of video card. Most of the high-end gamer cards that you'd want to play games at such simply don't bother with them.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
codezer0 said:
this has always been the case with every "TV" in my personal experience. Even when using VGA or component video cables for example. Even now, it's difficult to get a graphics card with a native HDMI unless you're settling for a low-end or home theater specific model of video card. Most of the high-end gamer cards that you'd want to play games at such simply don't bother with them.
I disagree.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, you're also listing fairly new cards too. The fastest thing I have here is a GTX 285, which came about way before HDMI on a PC graphics card was anything beyond one of those jerry-rig adapters that you had to plug in to a DVI port.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
tbgtbg said:
For SDTV's this is true, but if you're using a modern TV, it's shouldn't be any worse than many computer monitors. I don't know what resolutions this Linux is running in, but 720p or 1080p shouldn't, in general, give a blurry picture. Even 480p (EDTV) shouldn't be blurry, just low resolution compared to HD. Not sure about 1080i, the interlacing may cause issues, that's part of the problem with SDTV, it's all interlaced. Of course, you'll get the best results running at your set's native resolution, scaling it could introduce blurriness, I suppose. Still, nowhere near the way SDTV's were blurry.
A computer monitor at 1024x768 is more than 720p.
Yes, computers have had HD since like windows 95.

TVs suck, tech-wise.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: One gram of felony? +1