Atgames sega flashback 2018 edition is out in the wild.

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still no fixed portable. the portable is the one i was interested in. they know the sound fix, yet it's still not on their firecore yet....

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
arm chipsets are more expensive on production than the firecore chips. i think they are being le cheap. an android based handheld would more likely retail for 99+ tho

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
point is all that needs to be done is correct the clock rate in the emulation. tectoy has it fixed already with their units. and they admitted to being aware of the fix, yet haven't done it.

rrifonas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tec Toy's Mega Drive 2017 hardware is a clone of the Atgames portable. It runs a Red Kid 2500 chipset, which is a GOAC.

Their "official firmware" is just a repackaged version from Esrael (Neto) work with the Red Kid 2500, Tec Toy is not capable of doing any kind of firmware changes by themselves. If you want the fix for the Atgames portable you may take a look at these threads:
https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=37768 -> Thread is in English and has a lot of information
https://www.neto-games.com.br/rom_hack/neto_boot_loader.php -> Neto's home page in Brazilian Portuguese with links to download the firmware. There is a version of the firmware in English to be downloaded.

Reactions: FateForWindows

laynolad95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The one thing I don't understand is that PAL roms run fine on the 2017 flashback model but they're unplayable on the 2018 edition... :unsure:

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
different emulator. like way different ones. I believe that is part of it. the 2017 was a very simple emulator by comparison to the one being used this time around. Like i mentioned prior its not uncommon either to see this.like mentioned previously the snes classic had this gaffe.

Reactions: FateForWindows

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Tec Toy's Mega Drive 2017 hardware is a clone of the Atgames portable. It runs a Red Kid 2500 chipset, which is a GOAC.

Their "official firmware" is just a repackaged version from Esrael (Neto) work with the Red Kid 2500, Tec Toy is not capable of doing any kind of firmware changes by themselves. If you want the fix for the Atgames portable you may take a look at these threads:
https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=37768 -> Thread is in English and has a lot of information
https://www.neto-games.com.br/rom_hack/neto_boot_loader.php -> Neto's home page in Brazilian Portuguese with links to download the firmware. There is a version of the firmware in English to be downloaded.

If you think about it, it's fascinating that the issue that ruined AtGames reputation could have been fixed years ago by a simple clock reconfiguration in their firmware.

I hope Esrael got compensated for his work (probably not).

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Superb work guys ! Sorry to be really late on this but real life is taking almost all my time :) anyway glad to be helpful with my old version infos.

Do you have any "PAL reseller" link for this new model ?

EDIT: reading past news this 2018 models can be a variation about the new "smaller" version that was planned but which SEGA seems to have blocked; to avoid money loss they repacked the new hardware (with SD slot) + new firmware in the old console plastic case.

Last edited by asper,
D

Deleted User

I don't actually own one of these, but just wanted to say that this whole thread has been really cool and gives a nice bit of insight in the workings of this console.

Reactions: WD_GASTER2

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
asper, yeah you helped way more than what was publicly discussed. I cant thank you enough.
there is more stuff that may come down the line (homebrew?) and if it does work as expected, it will be thanks (in a large part) to you.
if you end up deciding to get one please let me know.

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
asper, yeah you helped way more than what was publicly discussed. I cant thank you enough.
there is more stuff that may come down the line (homebrew?) and if it does work as expected, it will be thanks (in a large part) to you.
if you end up deciding to get one please let me know.
If the plastic case is exactly the same as 2017 revision i will just be inerested in the pcb hardware :P anyway i will be curious to take a look at system partitions as well even without a pcb :)

laynolad95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
One more thing I should probably add, anyone notice the scanline filters on the 2018 system look ugly compared to last year's model? I love turning on scanline filters on these retro plug n play systems for nostalgic purposes, but in my opinion the scanline filters on the 2018 flashback looks way too blurry and it is ugly to look at compared to everything else I've used previously.

stevensoest84

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi GUYS,

I just read your thread and am looking for some guidance. I just found out that there is a 2019 model for the AtGames Sega Megadrive flashback.

w ww.lidl-shop.nl/AT-Games-SEGA-MegaDrive-Flashback-HD-Versie-2019-Retro/p100247224

Does anyone have experience with this newer model? I once had a 2017 model which run laggy (graphics and sound), i gave this one to my nephew. This 2019 model one now also has an SD card to upgrade games (officially) and is firmware upgradeable.

What do you guys think? Should i try again?

With kind regards,

Steven

laynolad95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi GUYS,

I just read your thread and am looking for some guidance. I just found out that there is a 2019 model for the AtGames Sega Megadrive flashback.

w ww.lidl-shop.nl/AT-Games-SEGA-MegaDrive-Flashback-HD-Versie-2019-Retro/p100247224

Does anyone have experience with this newer model? I once had a 2017 model which run laggy (graphics and sound), i gave this one to my nephew. This 2019 model one now also has an SD card to upgrade games (officially) and is firmware upgradeable.

What do you guys think? Should i try again?

With kind regards,

Steven
Absolutely, give it another try and hope for the best.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So I just checked out the link and it seems like it includes 82 games instead of 85. Also checking out the packaging it looks like the 3 Mortal Kombat games were removed in this 2019 edition I'm assuming due to licensing issues.

laynolad95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If I recall the 2017 version doesn't have MK games in some European models. Maybe some restriction to get the PEGI 12 or USK 12 certification.
I live in Australia and the system is rated MA 15+ for the MK games, despite being a PAL version of the flashback.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyxeZ7JYwZs&pp=ygUJVnIgaXMgZ2F5 +1