AYANEO reveals new retro-themed handhelds and accessories in its new REMAKE line of products

ayaneo remake products.jpg

AYANEO announced its retro-themed REMAKE line of products late last year. During a product update sharing session aired today, the company has revealed new products that will be released under this line. While specs of the products were also revealed, release dates were not; but we can expect more news to be shared in the coming months. You can view the full video session below and a text break-down of each product shown follows:

AYANEO Pocket DMG

This is the company's first vertically-oriented handheld and looks like a revamped GameBoy Pocket. It is an Android-based device with a 3.92" OLED screen, 1240x1080 resolution and is powered by the Snapdragon G3x Gen 2 gaming platform.

pocket dmg 1.jpeg

pocket dmg 2.jpg pocket dmg 3.jpg

AYANEO Pocket MICRO

As its name suggests, the AYANEO Pocket MICRO draws inspiration from the GBA Micro. It features a horizontal layout and a bezel-less full-screen design encased in an aluminium frame. The display's resolution is 960x640, which is 4x that of the GBA's 240x160 resolution. Powering this device is the Helio G99 processor, which is more than capable of emulating GBA titles.

micro 1.jpeg

micro 2.png micro 3.jpg

AYANEO Starship Graphics Dock AG01

AYANEO's first graphics dock bears a sci-fi design. The AG01 is equipped with the AMD Radeon RX 7600M XT mobile graphics card (based on the RDNA 3 architecture). The company aims to have the AG01 as the "most versatile and feature-rich eGPU dock on the market", with a range of interfaces including DP 2.0, HDMI 2.1, OCuLink, USB4, and tool-free expansion for M.2 2280 SSDs. USB4 and OCuLink cables will be included with the dock.

graphics dock.jpeg

graphics dock 2.jpeg graphics dock 3.jpg

AYANEO Retro Mini PC AM01S

This mini PC is an upgraded version of AYANEO's previous Retro Mini PC AM01. It includes a flip screen, an AMD 8000HS series processor, a 65W dual-fan cooling system, dual USB4 ports, and dual 2.5G network ports.

mini PC.jpeg

AYANEO AIR 1S 8840U Version

AYANEO also introduced a new variant of the Air 1S handheld gaming PC. This model sports the AMD 8840U chip while sharing most of the features of the regular 7840U model.

handheld PC.jpeg

AYANEO Retro Power Bank

This 12,000 mAh power bank, which adopts the design of a certain retro console, is AYANEO's first such accessory. It features a monochrome OLED screen displaying battery life and charging/discharging power, dual USB-C ports support, and 45W PD fast charging, compatible with Windows handhelds.

power bank.jpeg

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Pocket Micro is an odd one, especially given there's already a handheld out there both with a 3:2 screen (at a higher resolution) and a G99 processor in the KT-R1. Should be interesting to see how it competes in terms of price, it's surprisingly capable.

As for the rest..... Screen on a Mini PC is neat. Does make the first wave of their Mini PCs feel a little obsolete already, but I guess they were using aged hardware anyway. Throwing an 8000 series CPU in there will probably make them decent, but between that and the screen (and AYANEO's usual pricing) I'd be shocked if they were less than $1000.

The dock and DMG are where my interest really lies. Admittedly the dock isn't anything revolutionary, Oculink/USB4 GPU docks already exist from the big players in the handheld space. Having said that, DAMN does that look clean. Should give decent performance too, it's the kind of thing I'd love to try to compare against ASUS' XG Mobile.

The DMG is just ridiculous and I kinda love it? Why in God's name did they want to throw that much power into something of that form factor!? I can't fathom it. It'll be able to run GameCube, Wii, even Switch games, but without the right Joy Stick it just feels like too much. I want one, but I can't think of enough ways to actually use the thing to be able to justify buying one.

Some interesting stuff on offer though.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My god, they charge a premium for what is basically "unique e-waste."

I've heard their quality isn't that good either, but whatever. I'm not sure who buys this stuff, but they keep coming out with it, so somebody must be.
From personal experience reviewing the AYANEO 2, I do think they have the quality nailed. Prior to switching to the ROG Ally (because it supported XG Mobile and I already had an XG Mobile unit) it was something I used frequently and genuinely did love it. I obviously can't speak for every product they make or the consistency of their quality control, but the brand in my mind is "good stuff at a high price". And it does seem to be working for them.

Reactions: James_

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"seamlessly play 4X gba games" damn these things cost like a million bucks and can only play 4 gba games? lolol

they release way too many of these things at way too high of a price, it's like they're trying to bruteforce competition with the steam deck rather than actually trying smh.
i remember the GPD win 1 (different company, i know, but these things all come from china anyway) costed like $2000 and only had an intel atom z8750 or something

Reactions: Kioku

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A DSi XL is a great choice if you're interested and it has IPS screens.
So many people just forget the DSi XL. It's so cheap on eBay too (at least in the UK). Absolutely stellar system, especially with CFW nowadays being able to boot DS games from the SD card.

smilodon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
"seamlessly play 4X gba games" damn these things cost like a million bucks and can only play 4 gba games? lolol

they release way too many of these things at way too high of a price, it's like they're trying to bruteforce competition with the steam deck rather than actually trying smh.
i remember the GPD win 1 (different company, i know, but these things all come from china anyway) costed like $2000 and only had an intel atom z8750 or something
They specially promote GBA emulation because pretty much no device on the market has a screen with a good fit for GBA. They either have the wrong aspect ratio or wrong resolution, very often both. This device interest me a lot because of that.

James_

aka Viator_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Fuck negativity, here's my thoughts:

Putting the G3x Gen 2 into a device with the form factor of an Analogue Pocket is the definition of overkill and I absolutely love that. It'll be interesting to see how the Pocket DMG performs with emulating more demanding platforms. Like Scarlet said, Switch could be a possibility with this.

The mini display on the AM01S is pretty neat, and as a sucker for older tech I love how it looks like an 80's Macintosh. To be honest though, I'd rather have a mini display be separate from the PC so I can put it under my standard display for example, rather than it be attached to it.

The rest of the stuff is alright but not particularly interesting to me. Like, I don't think I'd really have much to say about a power bank themed after the SNES, or another average handheld using the G99.

but without the right Joy Stick it just feels like too much. I want one, but I can't think of enough ways to actually use the thing to be able to justify buying one.
I decided to watch the Product Sharing Session that AYANEO put out, and it seems their explanation for not putting dual joysticks on the Pocket DMG is pretty much "we think the way that others have put dual sticks on vertical handhelds is crude and they don't consider the space between them, and also the right stick is usually just used for camera movement, so here's a touchpad instead".

Despite the fact that they could've fit two sticks on the device perfectly fine with plenty of space between them.
And they forgot that the N64 existed.

That's pretty much the only real complaint I have.

Reactions: Firepal

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I decided to watch the Product Sharing Session that AYANEO put out, and it seems their explanation for not putting dual joysticks on the Pocket DMG is pretty much "we think the way that others have put dual sticks on vertical handhelds is crude and they don't consider the space between them, and also the right stick is usually just used for camera movement, so here's a touchpad instead".

Despite the fact that they could've fit two sticks on the device perfectly fine with plenty of space between them.
And they forgot that the N64 existed.

That's pretty much the only real complaint I have.
To me they should've just stuck with the G99 for both systems. It's cheaper, it's not power hungry, and it'd be able to do pretty much everything you'd want to with one analogue stick. It feels like they're just going to use the lack of dual sticks as a way to push a docking station or something like that to actually be able to utilise the system's power.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Cool power bank, and at least OLED is starting to become more standard for displays on these, but yeah I have to concur that there are too many new models being released too quickly. If one of this year's devices appeals to you, you can just wait until next year and they'll be half price or less since there will be a new version out. Meanwhile, the appeal of a system like Steam Deck is the guarantee of long-term support from both developers and the community.

Last edited by Xzi,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So many people just forget the DSi XL. It's so cheap on eBay too (at least in the UK). Absolutely stellar system, especially with CFW nowadays being able to boot DS games from the SD card.
It also depends on the condition, a DSi XL without any scratches is a lot more desirable and more valuable because of it than one that's a bit roughed up.

Reckon the prices will increase (as they already have as it is).

It's a great purchase, no doubt.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Sonic Angel Knight, never watched doug