cturtle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
junker_man32 said:
ds sucks......ok (its not that good). get a gp32 or wiz or something

Okay first off, why the hell are you even here then?

And secondly....really?!? The ancient GP32 with it's massive selection of about 14 games is better than the DSi?? Or the Wiz which upon first glance looks like a PSP ripoff, and it's biggest selling point is that it's open source. Tell me, what site are we on again?

If I want a piece of crap, I'll buy a PSP.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSP is your best way to get snes emulator for homebrew because it is better than nds homebrew of snes.. NDS is not good enough for snes homebrew.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cturtle said:
but if there's interest, they'll figure it out.
Whichever way you look at it, there is still plenty the SnemulDS team could have done to their emulator. So all I can surmise from this is that there is no real interest in playing SNES on the DS.

WHOSE interest? In this case, yeah a lot of people are saying "I'm interested in a better SNES emulator" but nobody's stepping up to the plate. The SNEmulDS "team" was one guy who worked on the project in his spare time for several months. You said you didn't do any coding, and that's why you've got wrong ideas about it. You get bored with a project easily. You get tired of debugging the same crap over and over and over. It gets to be more a chore than anything else, and you just want to stop. So he did.

You act as if emulation is something anyone can do easily. It's a rather difficult task, requiring extensive knowledge of both the system you're emulating and the system you're running the emulator on. It's not as simple as changing a line of code here and there to fix all compatibility issues.

Another thing you have to understand is that all SNES emulators for the DS use hardware rendering. This means that they basically try to translate between the SNES's graphics hardware commands and the DS's dedicated 2D hardware commands. This greatly speeds up drawing to the screen, but since the two aren't exactly alike, you get some graphical issues, and there are some effects the DS's hardware simply can't replicate this way (like certain transparencies and the scrolling playfield of Tetris Attack). The other option would be to use software emulation, where you figure out what the screen is supposed to look like for every frame and then paint it to the screen pixel-by-pixel. This would make the graphics perfectly accurate, but since drawing to the screen this way is very time-intensive, it would slow down the emulator immensely, requiring frameskip to maintain a decent speed. This is how the SNES emulators for the PSP work, but they've got 333 MHz to work with, while the DS just has 66 MHz (the 33 MHz ARM7 processor is used almost exclusively for audio emulation).

Point is, the DS doesn't have the power to do it the "best" way, so it does it the only way it can maintain full speed, which does introduce some graphical issues. And unless you're willing to learn how to code and to fix this problem yourself, you don't have much right to complain about other people's work ethic.

cturtle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
zero383 said:
cturtle, you're complaining that there are no good SNES emulators on the DS? You do realize that people who do this sort of thing are NOT getting paid for it right? They have a life and REAL jobs to tend to. Judging by your posts, you're probably too young to even realize the value of money.

Best SNES Emulator for DS

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

I was simply asking why a very promising piece of homebrew was tossed aside a year ago and nobody has had any interest in reviving it. My posts were more inquisitive than they were whiny. I really am confused by the desertion of SNES emulators. Not being paid for something is no reason to give up on it entirely. You wouldn't do something nice for someone, or in this case thousands of people, unless they paid you for it? Wow, Capitalism has really warped your brain. I'm not asking for every second of the guy's life here, but there hasn't been any word on this for a year. Maybe when he has 3 minutes in between two of his 9 jobs he could update his homepage??

Unlike you, I doubt everyone works 140 hours a week and in a year would probably have a few minutes here and there of leisure time. I'm sorry your REAL job keeps you too busy to enjoy life.

If it's completely impossible, like getting PS3 roms to work on the DS impossible then I understand. But I'd love to know why the SnemulDS homepage claims it's only "sleeping".

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This topic needs locking. It's gotten ridiculous. People who code emulators do so in their spare time. If you hate the current emulators, there's a simple solution to this- code one yourself. That's the one solution and don't give us "i would if i knew how" or whatever. If you really want a good SNES emulator, make on yourself and learn whatever you need to do it. Maybe then people would show some respect for your talent. Because complaining about how there are none is not a sign of talent.

cturtle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm obviously not making myself clear here. Let me try again.

All I'm trying to find out is why a very popular emulator, that seemed to be headed in the right direction, was completely abandoned almost exactly a year ago to the day. But I guess Rupee pretty much gave me the answer I was looking for. I'd just love to hear it from the developer of SnemulDS. (or rather hear that he's reviving it)

But I agree with you, close this topic and rename it to "SNES on the DS is officially dead". End of story.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one ever said it was dead. And the developer of SnemulDS even said it wasn't dead, just sleeping until he gets time to make it on par with JenesisDS or NeoDS. He has no time to do it and I don't blame him if he quit completely.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Long ago Archeide stated that he would continue coding SNEmulDS as long as it held his interest. Once he got bored with it or stopped caring about it, he would quit.

I assume he reached that point a year ago. Which is understandable, given how long he actually worked on the program.

gosp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
cturtle said:
I'm obviously not making myself clear here. Let me try again.

All I'm trying to find out is why a very popular emulator, that seemed to be headed in the right direction, was completely abandoned almost exactly a year ago to the day. But I guess Rupee pretty much gave me the answer I was looking for. I'd just love to hear it from the developer of SnemulDS. (or rather hear that he's reviving it)

But I agree with you, close this topic and rename it to "SNES on the DS is officially dead". End of story.

Because the people that are able lost interest, and the people that are interested aren't able.

cturtle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
gosp said:
Because the people that are able lost interest, and the people that are interested aren't able.

Hahahaha, that's about the best answer I think I've gotten.
laugh.gif

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
Long ago Archeide stated that he would continue coding SNEmulDS as long as it held his interest. Once he got bored with it or stopped caring about it, he would quit.

I assume he reached that point a year ago. Which is understandable, given how long he actually worked on the program.

Not to mention that emulation authors, sadly, get verbally abused on a regular basis by people who don't program and demand that issues be fixed or that their favorite games be 100% playable.

Even if SnemulDS had been continued to be worked on, there would always be problems just because of how both the SNES and the DS were designed. While you could coax some improvements out of it... it was and still is the best choice out of the 3 SNES emulators for DS.

Dingoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
cturtle said:
Is it a big pain in the ass to write a SNES emulator? I don't know the first thing about coding.

I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk about this, it really is just puzzling to me. When will I be able to play SNES on my DS (properly)??
Yes it is a big pain in the ass - same with MegaDrive emulators. The fault is with the DS - it just isn't a powerful enough machine. Certainly not powerful enough for emulation. Don't blame the developers - they've done a good job.

Remember - these people in the homebrew and emulation communities are doing this for free. Nobody's paying them for it.

A more powerful machine like the PSP, or a dedicated machine (Dingoo A320, GP2X) is what you need if you care about playing a lot of retrogames on a handheld at a decent speed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    although im off school that day
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    today is the 7th anniversary of Captain Underpants, which was actually a surprisingly good movie
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's been around since I was in elementary
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, i recall watching it on fox
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Who watches FOX nowadays? Only reason to get alt-right viewers interested.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, that was like when i was 10
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, We didn't have FOX Kids over here, back then it was Jetix.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Similar to FOX Kids. I remember when Sonic X aired.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, the latin american fox feed doesnt air news, it airs movies and tv shows
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ah, I see.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i wasnt even born when fox kids/jetix was alive
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also a couple years ago latin american fox got renamed to star channel
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Yes?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry
    i thought you didnt read the last couple messages before quoting you agin
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ah sonic x, that show is valid
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (of course the mf with a sonic pfp would say that 😭)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you are not dumb or stupid, you need to stop saying that, you are very smart, even about alot of things I have no clue about. We all love you here, like a big family.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah @BigOnYa love me so much he started yelling at me for having my shoes on in the bed when he caught me with his wife
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, I don't want mud crumbs in my bed, and btw you left without paying your tab. Ill add it to next month but getting tired of extending.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I hope silent hill 2 turns out good
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I seen that, hope so too, the first was so epic back then.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Didn't look into much is it just a remake
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Only thing drive me crazy is all these new horror games nowadays is its so dark, all time. I can't even play them. I understand they trying to create spooky but be creative a little, not just darkness with pop out scare scenes.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Only thing drive me crazy is all these new horror games nowadays is its so dark, all time. I...