Hardware Best TV card?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know how much you will get around here. Ignoring different world standards it has been years since the home theatre PC/HTPC... I don't know if I can call it a craze but fad if nothing else reached the height of its popularity, and even then it was split between being full bore TV box and a DVD player with ripping options and support for the then nascent streaming services and torrents (there is a reason people remember XBMC/Kodi today and not the alternatives from back then). Similarly most around here want TV cards for game capture purposes which means decoders are a distant concern or something they can just shove the cable box (possibly with suitable encryption stripper/splitter that so happens to remove copy protections). There might be a few others that do some camera capture work but again not much to it for broadcast, and what little broadcast might remain is more likely to do transport streams for Japanese anime than anything more US based.

On radio then do also specify what types -- digital radio, FM, AM... some will be FM only and there are some interesting AM stations still out there if my little go on an American radio the other day is anything to go by.

I am similarly years out of anything here and you can sort by whatever on your chosen parts vendor site as well as I.

Reactions: SylverReZ

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On radio then do also specify what types -- digital radio, FM, AM... some will be FM only and there are some interesting AM stations still out there if my little go on an American radio the other day is anything to go by.
FM and AM radio, wanting to watch TV in my room as well as enjoying recording my shows

SylverReZ

GBATemp's Meme Lord
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can get sound cards with a built-in FM/AM radio in them, I happen to own one of them with a Vibra 16 chipset.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
One thing I would check first is if the stations/channels you want to watch/listen to have streaming options and whether software exists to rip these streams.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have one dongle to send my laptop to my tv, either exact same image or extended. I'll let you know what it's called, probably tomorrow. I think it's Aries.

SylverReZ

GBATemp's Meme Lord
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As I remember Vibra 16 was ISA.
Correct. It's a cut-down version of the Sound Blaster 16, I believe. I don't recommend it seeing as the chipset can have problems with some games such as "Jill of the Jungle", I'd rather be better off with a Sound Blaster Live or a Sound Blaster 16 than anything.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct. It's a cut-down version of the Sound Blaster 16, I believe. I don't recommend it seeing as the chipset can have problems with some games such as "Jill of the Jungle", I'd rather be better off with a Sound Blaster Live or a Sound Blaster 16 than anything.
I have the sound blaster myself, but it's largely obsolete now. I have all audio going through an optical port.

SylverReZ

GBATemp's Meme Lord
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have the sound blaster myself, but it's largely obsolete now. I have all audio going through an optical port.
Still, a great sound card for playing old DOS games and everything nostalgia.

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vb-RNPvOb5M?si=J4BktsiMjYqTDkIo +1