Hacking Best Way to update to 4.0 or 4.1 with my settings??

Carpediem2009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have Homebrew Channel and Configurable USB Loader +GUI 42A and cIOS38 rev 14 on Wii firmware 3.3U I installed the Zelda hack while on 3.3U and then installed rev 10 and usb loader and just updated as time went on

I don't want to brick my Wii or loose any of my hacks so What is the best way to update and is there really a reason to update the wii's firmware?

Or is it safe to just leave it as is and never update it. I would like to play games with motion plus like wii sports resort and I have heard unless you have 4.0 or higher any wii motion plus game will not work. I have also read that GH5 will not play unless you have updated Firmware

Thanks for your time

Deviyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Nintendo update would be easiest.

QUOTE said:
I don't want to brick my Wii or loose any of my hacks so What is the best way to update and is there really a reason to update the wii's firmware?
The question you really should be asking is: Is there really a reason to stay on your obsolete SM?

Since you're on such an old SM, you'll likely need to patch IOS36 and possibly reinstall cIOS38 rev14. But everything else will still work fine.

Also if you have PreLoader you'll need to install that again. And you should look into getting BootMii. I didn't see any mention of it in your post.

Have a look at the guide in my signature to make sure you've got everything up to date.

technosexual

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if its an older wii, see if you can install bootmii as boot2. if you can, do so, and make a nand backup

use dop-ios to install ios60 and 61, apply the sig patch

use NUSD to grab the 4.1 of your region, select pack to wad, install that wad via wad manager

do those in that order, and youre now on 4.1

dole

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
technosexual said:
if its an older wii, see if you can install bootmii as boot2. if you can, do so, and make a nand backup

use NUSD to grab the 4.1 of your region, select pack to wad, install that wad via wad manager

so what's the difference between using NUSD to download 4.1 and install, and just using the Nintendo online update?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dole said:
technosexual said:

so what's the difference between using NUSD to download 4.1 and install, and just using the Nintendo online update?

NUSD and installing the system menu directly after installing IOS60 is basically just the bare minimum needed to update to 4.1. Applying the sig hash check (trucha bug) in IOS61 as well doesn't really do much for you, but doing it for IOS60 will let you play vc/wiiware wads from the sd card menu. (But if you're directly installing the system menu wad you MUST install that IOS60 first regardless.) So do that with dop-IOS after updating officially or using Waninkoko's updaters as well if you go with those.

Updating officially will also update any other IOS's that may be out of date as well as the shop channel/other Nintendo channels.

Using Waninkoko's updater should update any IOS's you are missing as well, but will keep the trucha bug intact in any IOS's that have it. If you don't already have IOS60 though, you will need to run Waninkoko's 4.0 updater and then the 4.1 updater.

Carpediem2009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I decided to install softmii, after I did that and did a back up of my 3.3U Then I got some balls and just did a Nintendo update via the wii. And once it was done EVERYTHING still worked nothing borked. YAY!!!! I now did a backup of my 4.1U as well. ( well 4.1U is backing up as we speak. ) So homebrew and usb all still works. only thing i am kinda concerned with is when doing a backup it had a few factory bad blocks, but when it did the verify the blocks went from black to green and it said success.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Carpediem2009 said:
Well I decided to install softmii, after I did that and did a back up of my 3.3U Then I got some balls and just did a Nintendo update via the wii. And once it was done EVERYTHING still worked nothing borked. YAY!!!! I now did a backup of my 4.1U as well. ( well 4.1U is backing up as we speak. ) So homebrew and usb all still works. only thing i am kinda concerned with is when doing a backup it had a few factory bad blocks, but when it did the verify the blocks went from black to green and it said success.

Factory bad blocks are normal up to about 80 blocks. On average you get like 5-15 though. When it turns green again it just means that it verified that they were bad blocks, it didn't fix them.

And you don't "install" softmii. Softmii is a guide like any other guide that has you install way more things than anyone using it would understand. Pretty much the only thing that official update should have gotten rid of is most of CIOSCORP, but there still might be a couple of IOS's from CIOSCORP on your system.

Carpediem2009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Pretty much the only thing that official update should have gotten rid of is most of CIOSCORP, but there still might be a couple of IOS's from CIOSCORP on your system.

ok noob question, what is that and what does that mean?

Carpediem2009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
great thanks for the help, one last question

I am now running

Homebrew Channel and Configurable USB Loader +GUI 42A and cIOS38 rev 14 on wii firmware 4.1U and I have bootmii(hackmii) v 0.3 most recent I think

Is there anything else I should do or know?

Also I have an issue with 2 games where it will restart the wii instead of loading the game 1 is Jump start Pet resuce this game will load and begin, but when i go to pick profile to load it resets the wii. The other is Wii sports resort, i have 002 fix on and it goes black then restarts wii. Any ideas there?

Thanks again

screamq3

Trophies
XP
Country
im tempted to update to 4.1, dont think theres much need to though, im still on 3.2 with starfall, bootmii backed up as boot2. if i do go on 4.1 any advice on what to install and what not too? lol thanks in advance guys
smile.gif

screamq3

Trophies
XP
Country
Carpediem2009 said:

I am now running

Homebrew Channel and Configurable USB Loader +GUI 42A and cIOS38 rev 14 on wii firmware 4.1U and I have bootmii(hackmii) v 0.3 most recent I think

Also I have an issue with 2 games where it will restart the wii instead of loading the game 1 is Jump start Pet resuce this game will load and begin, but when i go to pick profile to load it resets the wii. The other is Wii sports resort, i have 002 fix on and it goes black then restarts wii. Any ideas there?

Thanks again

Hey buddy, regarding wii sports resort, you must grab the alt.dol for that game rztp01.dol, place it in root dir of SD card.
Then ya must go into your usb loader gx, make sure parental lock is off.... choose on wii sports resort, click on settings.
Turn 002 fix to ON, put alt dol loading on. Run the game.. let it go through all the motion + video, go back to usb loader...
choose wii sports resort > settings put alt dol loading to off... then it should work, i tried putting 002 fix back to off but wouldnt
load for me so leave that on and try it buddy

Carpediem2009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok just when I thought I was all set. I have a question that I pretty much already know the answer to.

I have got a private message that I Will now have to downgrade my wii to play games cause I play them via the usb loader. Now I have been playing all day with no issues other then the 2 that I have mentioned prior. So do I really have to downgrade? and if so why?? I spent alot of time researching upgrading system firmware to 4.1. Even on the Compatibility Matrix several games say works on only 4.0 or higher blah blah.

Me personally if there was a few games that would cause issues id go buy another non modded Wii and the game vrs wreck the wii I have now or do some complicated Bull for one game to work.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Carpediem2009 said:
Ok just when I thought I was all set. I have a question that I pretty much already know the answer to.

I have got a private message that I Will now have to downgrade my wii to play games cause I play them via the usb loader. Now I have been playing all day with no issues other then the 2 that I have mentioned prior. So do I really have to downgrade? and if so why?? I spent alot of time researching upgrading system firmware to 4.1. Even on the Compatibility Matrix several games say works on only 4.0 or higher blah blah.

Me personally if there was a few games that would cause issues id go buy another non modded Wii and the game vrs wreck the wii I have now or do some complicated Bull for one game to work.

For absolutely no reason should you ever have to downgrade your system menu anymore. Games don't really REQUIRE being upgraded to a certain system menu either. All you need for a usb loader is cIOS rev9 or above rev14 being the latest. System menu doesn't mean shit. You just need the IOS's a game needs to run and a cIOS to use a backup loader. All downgrading will do is put you in a better position to brick your Wii.

alexcalibur

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Carpediem2009 said:

I am now running

Thanks again

You don't have to do what the other poster said to get sports resort working. That method will work, but it outdated by now and is harder.
You're using CFG loader, so before starting the game go to the options and choose to turn on alt. dol loading from disk. Load the other dol (I can't recall the name now >.>) and it'll play a few minute long video showing how to use wii motion plus. After it's all done and w/e, reboot CFG loader and just start the game how you normally would with alt dol off.

The issue with wii sports is the motion plus video. It only plays the very first time you start the game though, so after you watch it the game will work normally.

Carpediem2009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks nap

Kinda what I thought, but wanted to double check. I am not a total noob, but I am not an expert in the mod world either. I did do all the mods on my Wii, but with great help to a lot of people like you with input and direction. that, and a crap load of reading and you tube videos ( lol ).

Thanks again,

Nap and alex

As far as the alt.dol when I use it it wants it placed in the usb-loader/RZTE.dol not the root when I put it there it says alt dol not found but when I put it in the folder and turn 002 to on and load alt dol to SD it just goes to a black screen and freezes. Stupid question that might be the issue is the wii motion plus A MUST to even get to the video or have the game load?

Since l cant seem to get that to work right and i need a motion plus anyway I will prob just go buy the original anyhow and just play it from disc.
smile.gif

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Carpediem2009 said:
Thanks nap

Kinda what I thought, but wanted to double check. I am not a total noob, but I am not an expert in the mod world either. I did do all the mods on my Wii, but with great help to a lot of people like you with input and direction. that, and a crap load of reading and you tube videos ( lol ).

Thanks again,

Nap and alex

As far as the alt.dol when I use it it wants it placed in the usb-loader/RZTE.dol not the root when I put it there it says alt dol not found but when I put it in the folder and turn 002 to on and load alt dol to SD it just goes to a black screen and freezes. Stupid question that might be the issue is the wii motion plus A MUST to even get to the video or have the game load?

Since l cant seem to get that to work right and i need a motion plus anyway I will prob just go buy the original anyhow and just play it from disc.
smile.gif

Well if you don't even actually have motionplus, it's worthless to even try to load the game anyways. Even if it did allow it to load you wouldn't be able to do anything at all.

Also it's a b in my name not a p.

Carpediem2009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
typo on name, Thanks I will try getting a motion plus I guess first, I just thought maybe it would let me play the game, but just not perfect or at least give me a pop up like nunchuck games do " you must insert" ect.

Thanks again for the help.

Carpediem2009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also It seem when I click on the Info in bootMii that I get this

SysMenu unknown boot 1b boot2v3

What does that mean? When I installed it I said to do it as boot2 not ios. When I am at bootmii screen I still have to use a gc controller the wiimote will not work.

So am i Brick safe? if not what can I do to help insure that I would be?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Must be drunk