Hacking Block option to delete an IOS

Maisto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello..

is it possible to do somthing to an IOS so it cannot be deletet (would be nice so IOS70 cannot be deletet, then we have many less wii that will brick)

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't be stupid and don't delete the IOSes? This is homebrewing, developers shouldn't have to bend over to make things idiot-proof. It should be warning enough that most programs which update/remove IOSes will warn you in large friendly letters not to uninstall certain IOSes.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Frankly, I believe that in the end, anyone should be able to delete whatever they want from the Wii.

BUT, I do believe Wad Manager should include a big fat warning screen before letting you uninstall IOS's, particularly before uninstalling IOS30, 50, 60, and 70.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why would you want to do that? write something to your wii that can never be deleted. only somebody dumb enough to delete an important file from their wii would be dumb enough to want to install something that could never be deleted.

on a different note, this cant be done without corrupting your nand.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Even if it was possible...I seriously doubt it'll prevent bricks because the only ones having serious brick problems happen to be the same ones too ignorant to have bootmii installed and have a NAND backup.

I can already foresee how things would go...

wii user: haai! I like totally bricked my wii and I need help.
community: I see. What did you to it?
wii user: nothing!
community: nothing? Really nothing?
wii user: Nothing, I swear! Well...aside from uninstalling some IOS'es I didn't think were needed. Did I do wrong with that?
community: and you ignored all warnings...you know like "warning: deletion IOS 70 WILL brick your wii. Are you REALLY sure you want to turn your precious gaming console into a paper weight?" ?
wii user: yeah...that rings a bell. I figured that if it was released on the internet, it must be flawless, so...there must have been some sort of bug in the program. Anyway...how do I fix it?
community: do you have bootmii installed? And do you have a recent NAND backup?
wii user: no.
community: preloader/priiloader?
wii user: I was going to install it, but...well, you know...
community: iosdeletionblocking*?
wii user: nope.
community: totalbrickpreventer*?
wii user: naah...I wasn't planning on getting any bricks.
community: invinciblewiimaker*?
wii user: I may have...i don't know.
community: what guide did you follow to softmod your wii?
wii user: I can't remember. some outdated one. And I only followed the points I could understand.
community: I see. Well...I'm afraid there is no way to fix your wii.
wii user: what? But...but you guys are hackers! Surely there MUST be a way to get it back.
community: hmm...I'd mention sneek, but in your case the issue is more of a PEBKAC-error.
wii user: so...what does that mean?
community: it means that *modbreak: unnecessary rude*

*fictional prevention homebrew

nash79

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wever said:
Even if it was possible...I seriously doubt it'll prevent bricks because the only ones having serious brick problems happen to be the same ones too ignorant to have bootmii installed and have a NAND backup.

I can already foresee how things would go...

wii user: haai! I like totally bricked my wii and I need help.
community: I see. What did you to it?
wii user: nothing!
community: nothing? Really nothing?
wii user: Nothing, I swear! Well...aside from uninstalling some IOS'es I didn't think were needed. Did I do wrong with that?
community: and you ignored all warnings...you know like "warning: deletion IOS 70 WILL brick your wii. Are you REALLY sure you want to turn your precious gaming console into a paper weight?" ?
wii user: yeah...that rings a bell. I figured that if it was released on the internet, it must be flawless, so...there must have been some sort of bug in the program. Anyway...how do I fix it?
community: do you have bootmii installed? And do you have a recent NAND backup?
wii user: no.
community: preloader/priiloader?
wii user: I was going to install it, but...well, you know...
community: iosdeletionblocking*?
wii user: nope.
community: totalbrickpreventer*?
wii user: naah...I wasn't planning on getting any bricks.
community: invinciblewiimaker*?
wii user: I may have...i don't know.
community: what guide did you follow to softmod your wii?
wii user: I can't remember. some outdated one. And I only followed the points I could understand.
community: I see. Well...I'm afraid there is no way to fix your wii.
wii user: what? But...but you guys are hackers! Surely there MUST be a way to get it back.
community: hmm...I'd mention sneek, but in your case the issue is more of a PEBKAC-error.
wii user: so...what does that mean?
community: it means that *modbreak: unnecessary rude*

*fictional prevention homebrew

I just love your post
tongue.gif

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A question about Tichinde/tj_cool's approach...is assigning the max version number of an IOS in any way foolproof?

Take Hermes's v5 of ios222/223/224...they have an internal version of 65535. Sure enough, if nintendo brings another update with homebrew-nuking capabilities, a simple check whether ios222, 223 and 224 's version numbers are lower than the 4.3 ones will keep the current ones in place. However, thanks to open source, nintendo doesn't have a hard time predicting that all IOS'es with version 65535 will be custom ones.

So basically, my question is:

Is the firmware update code hardcoded so it can only download and install newer versions of IOS'es, or can nintendo simply say "if the version number is lower than this one OR if it is 65535, get rid of that IOS and install this lovely stubby one to take its place" ?

@wes11ph: your first two links (which happen to be the same) point to a xbox360 nand thingumy. And I'm a bit curious as to what the last link is supposed to address. Is it some sort of blueprint to build your own nand or something?
tongue.gif

@Nash79: thanks for the praise. But to be honest...I just suck at being serious.
wink2.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk