Hacking boot me as ios not boot2

skinneyb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hope some one can help i can only install bootmii as ios have made a nand back up am i right in say you can only reinstall your nand if bootmi was installed as boot2 or am i wrong is so what is the point of making a nand back up if you can only install bootmii as ios have just always wondered thanks in advance

ShadowSonic2

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
shadowsonic2.com
XP
Country
Chad
Bootmii as an iOS let's you make a NAND Backup and lets you restore from that backup but its unreliable. Also, bootmii as an iOS can't save you from a full brick. Bootmii/boot2 can save you from a full brick.

The reason being is that boot2 loads up early in boot-up while iOS later so it makes it possible to access bootmii/boot2 should your iOS and System Menu get corrupted.

Still good to have a NAND backup just in case or to mess around with. Think if you full brick it might be possible to flash your Wii using that bootmii/ios nand backup and its keys and unbrick it. (not sure about that though).

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
skinneyb said:
ok thanks how wold if i no if i had a full brick or a semi brick
Its its full bricked Bootmii wont work.. and semi; bootmii can fix it...
But don't worry your wii wont brick it just happens to fools who do foolish things. (like virginize your wii)
Theres no point in making a nand backup if your not gonna brick it...

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
Magsor said:
skinneyb said:
ok thanks how wold if i no if i had a full brick or a semi brick
Its its full bricked Bootmii wont work.. and semi; bootmii can fix it...
But don't worry your wii wont brick it just happens to fools who do foolish things. (like virginize your wii)
Theres no point in making a nand backup if your not gonna brick it...
You should ALWAYS make a nand backup

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSonic2 said:
Bootmii as an iOS let's you make a NAND Backup and lets you restore from that backup but its unreliable.
how is it unreliable? how many times have you heard about somebody bricking a wii while trying to restore a nand dump and restoremii was to blame? once you are looking at the screen that allows you restore the nand, it is the SAME code running on the wii as it would be if you had started it from boot2. if its the same code, how can it be less reliable?

If it DOES go wrong, there is a high chance that it will brick. I've restored a wii a couple times with only bootmii IOS and it does make your asshole pucker up. But just because it is dangerous doesnt make it unreliable.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
giantpune said:
I've restored a wii a couple times with only bootmii IOS and it does make your asshole pucker up.
LMFAO! dude, u crack me up. You're one of the smartest ppl I've ever had the pleasure of chatting with on these forums, and u still manage to have a sense of humour. Don't ever change
biggrin.gif

Would you agree that restoring a nand dump using bootmii @ IOS should be used as a last resort only? I think ppl should try fixing their problem using other homebrew first if possible (ie. uninstalling a forwarder channel that caused a banner brick, or reinstalling an original theme/system menu to solve a remove a bad theme, etc.)... of course I'm assuming the person isn't just blindly (un)installing things but actually knows what they're doing.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it really depends on how stupid the person is for what i would recommend. most things can be fixed without resorting to a full nand restore. but doing that means you should understand the problem and the steps to fix it before you start. if the person cant manage that, and they are just trying random things like removing IOS and downgrading and crap, then i say the chance of causing a brick is much higher than if they had just used bootmii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Why so serious!
    @BakerMan, yeah that's about the only reason I would vote for Trump over Biden.
    +1
    In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Economy was better under Trump, according to Fox News.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I don't give a fuck about what happens to America but I would like it if your shit didn't spill out on the rest of the world, thank you.
    +3
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    A Far Right news service company
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I give a fuck about what happens to America but I would like it if our shit didn't spill out on the rest of the world, thank you.
    +2
    @Veho, didn't need any news. Just going to the store and buying groceries is a constant reminder.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    A reminder that all corporations reported record profits these last few years?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Reminded that every single price gouging law was blocked by republicans because "muh gubmint overreach"?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Won't somebody please think of the corporations?!?!
    The problem with X party blocked X bill that would have prevented X is that yes the bill probably would have worked great, buuuttt they put XYZDCBG in said bill as an attempt to sneak things in that tend to be completely unrelated to the original bills intent. It sucks because if they would just do a single thing they could probably get something done...
    But congressman X needs to have government funding for his cousins unicycle business
    It's a sad state of affairs
    Mom I don't want to do homework!!!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Mom I don't want to do homework!!!