Hacking BootMii

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBlaster said:
Just tested out the Nand Restore by deleting the system menu and its IOS, have to say it works great, Fully restored

Bootmii installed has boot2 just so i'm clear

LOL, I hope people who have it installed as an IOS don't try this
rofl2.gif

gumbyscout

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thebobinc said:
NEW FONCTION IN HOMEBREW CHANNEL

it search your fat 32 partition on your hard drive to find apps
biggrin.gif

so no more need of the SD , it let you use it for Wiiware so more place on your Wii
How did you put the homebrew applications on your hard drive? Was it in a apps folder, because it doesn't read them for me :/.

Shinigami Kiba

Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
I'm backing up my NAND to my 4GB SDHC card now, it formatted it but that's no big deal cause I backed it all up first on PC.
I'm buying two cards tomorrow, a 2GB SD card for bootmii only and an 8GB SDHC or another 4GB SDHC for Linux cause I've been meaning to install and use linux on my Wii since yesterday.

wow guys, I've told you before how my wii's flash memory/NAND corrupts sometimes and I have to refroamt it to fix it?
Bootmii just detected two "Factory Bad Blocks" one at block 800something and the other at 979

cheatmaster5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am going to install this tonight but before i do it i want make sure everything works.
cioscrops
softmii and themes
preloader
disc loader from the disc channel
and you can now load apps and wiiware from a hard drive in the homebrew channel?
lecture.gif

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cheatmaster5 said:
i am going to install this tonight but before i do it i want make sure everything works.
cioscrops
softmii and themes
preloader
disc loader from the disc channel

Yes, it installs either to boot2 or as IOS254.
Doesn't touch any of your CIOS's, preloader, System Menu, or anything like that

QUOTEand you can now load apps and wiiware from a hard drive in the homebrew channel?
lecture.gif

Not sure about that

bdr9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBlaster said:
Just tested out the Nand Restore by deleting the system menu and its IOS, have to say it works great, Fully restored

I have a Nand Backup and Bootmii installed has boot2 just so i'm clear
Wow WiiBlaster, you're very daring... that seems very risky.

Shinigami Kiba

Trophies
XP
Country
LxTrix said:
For known issues and to ask the creators directly ask here.... http://forum.wiibrew.org/read.php?25,16481

Otherwise how will this effect wads and channels?

will they still be installed or no?

and how do you know which to install, boot2 or ios?

You want boot2 for 100% brick proof, or near 100%
but boot2 doesn't work on all Wii's, test to see if your Wii can support bootmii on boot2 with this
http://static.hackmii.com/bootmii_check.elf

rename it to boot.elf, put it in apps and in a folder and that's it.

run it and if the long string of numbers and letters after boot1 doesn't start with f01e you can install it as boot2

Stroganoff

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
LxTrix said:
Otherwise how will this effect wads and channels?
will they still be installed or no?

Of course everything will still be the same, BootMii only touches boot2 or that ios.

QUOTE(LxTrix @ May 14 2009, 04:00 AM) and how do you know which to install, boot2 or ios?

It's generally preferable to install it to boot2 so you get brick protection. If it isn't able to use boot2, it will tell you so and abort installation before it touches anything. They included extensive checks.

Or is there another way to know whether or not boot2 is vulnerable to the fakesigning bug and therefore usable with BootMii?

wiiNinja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBlaster said:

What's the format of the NAND backup on your SD card? I mean is it a single file or a bunch of files? Can the file(s) be copied somewhere else (PC) for later retrieval and use?

fukseliten

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
What is Bootmii ? for n00bs :

The wet dream of most console and pc hackers since day one is to completely remove the operating system in a machine and write their own operating system from scratch to communicate with all the hardware . After this is achieved you can write your own software in whatever programming language you installed for your custom operating system to read , hence taking FULL control over the machine without breaking any copyrighted code and without having to be forced using the programming language from the manufacturer.

This has afaik never been achieved fully in any console scene EVER .
There has been many failed attempts thru the years . the last one I can think of was Mathieulh´s Utopia project for psp .. The buzz was high for a while , but it died down to nothing.

Enter Bootmii !!

Finally Team twiizers have actually pulled it off and made a complete system replacement operating system . ! The achievement is HUGE ! And will go down in history .

What will this do for a normal user ?

Bootmii is among other things a boot replacer . Much like preloader , BUT it lets you do a complete nand backup or restore even if your wii is real messed up.
(as long as you have made a nand backup from within bootmii in advance)
Bootmii also has its own operating system called "mini" . This is written in a different programming language than usually used on wii homebrew (devkitpro\libogc) , so currently all developers will have to rewrite their apps to make them run from there.

This means that until some easy way to convert programs from one language to another is developed , all devs must rewrite everything from scratch so for the normal user Bootmii is nothing but a real fancy brickprotection the next few days.

Still , just be patient and bootmii will eventually turn into your new main system menu .

Hope that helps the n00bs

cheatmaster5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
k i want to install as the boot 2 rather then the ios.
if you install as boot2 it only loads if the sd card is in the wii right and it is also better the the ios right

Shinigami Kiba

Trophies
XP
Country
cheatmaster5 said:
k i want to install as the boot 2 rather then the ios.
if you install as boot2 it only loads if the sd card is in the wii right and it is also better the the ios right

yes and from what I gathered with my bootmii and Wii it ONLY works if the SD card is an SD card and not an SDHC card

cdn_bacon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
wiiNinja said:
WiiBlaster said:

What's the format of the NAND backup on your SD card? I mean is it a single file or a bunch of files? Can the file(s) be copied somewhere else (PC) for later retrieval and use?

It is a single file called nand.bin - mines is 540mb - you can copy it to you PC

IlluminiX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this has been asked before, but do we have to see the BootMii menu every time we boot the Wii or can a default loading choice be chosen somewhere? I would like to have the NAND backup ability, but want Preloader/Crazy Intro to handle the Wii/Homebrew/custom channel loading abilities. Is this realistic or does the Bootmii menu load up every time?

Thanks.

mydarxide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wiiNinja said:
WiiBlaster said:

It Formats The SD to FAT
It outputs to SD:/NAND.BIN one file
I'm assuming that you can copy it wherever you want to keep it safe. (thats what I did to free up some space on my SD Card)

to clarify for everyone asking

If you do the boot 2 install it DOES NOT effect CIOSCORP, PRELOADER or any other IOS.
it oly patches boot and install HBC1.0.2(optional) and DVDX (optional)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Now go take a shower @BakerMan . Phew +1