Can Anybody Help Me With An Issue When Trying To Hack My Wii U?

swampert948

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I posted on the wiiu hacks reddit saying that when I was trying to setup Tiramisu on my Wii U, when doing the browser exploit step as it says in the guide, I get an error message on a black screen saying FSOpenFile failed. File Missing /vol/external01/wiiu/payload.elf

I got a response saying that that file just isn't there, that is what the error is telling me, but after double checking, the file is there, in the correct place the file extension is right, not to mention all I've done is unzip the latest version of tiramisu and put it onto the root of my SD card, and put the sigpatchees file into the appropriate location as it says in the guide, but everytime I do this exploit I get the same problem.

I don't know what to change because I don't really know why I am getting the message in the first place with everything considered. Does anybody maybe know what the issue might be? Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Let me know if you need screenshots or anything.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I initially modded my first Wii U (using the guide) my card would not work either. I was using an 8GB SD card...kingston I believe. I tried with a 4GB ADATA card with the exact same files/config and it worked.

What I have learned from this instance (and others over the course of time using two hacked Wii U consoles) is that not every SD card works with everything. This system is very particular when it comes to SD card brands and models/sizes.

If you are SURE you are following the guide to a tee (and I mean, read it and follow it exactly) and you are still running into weird SD card issues just try another card. I have had issues with Kingston as I said as well as Samsung cards. I have never had any issue with Sandisk standard class 10 cards. And format them FAT32 as mentioned by jeannotte.

Reactions: jeannotte

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have had issues with Kingston as I said as well as Samsung cards. I have never had any issue with Sandisk standard class 10 cards. And format them FAT32 as mentioned by jeannotte.
Alright .

do not hesitate to try different SD cards, some work and others do not.

Sandisk generally works well (I don't advertise :) )

Reactions: zektor and Ettino

swampert948

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When I initially modded my first Wii U (using the guide) my card would not work either. I was using an 8GB SD card...kingston I believe. I tried with a 4GB ADATA card with the exact same files/config and it worked.

What I have learned from this instance (and others over the course of time using two hacked Wii U consoles) is that not every SD card works with everything. This system is very particular when it comes to SD card brands and models/sizes.

If you are SURE you are following the guide to a tee (and I mean, read it and follow it exactly) and you are still running into weird SD card issues just try another card. I have had issues with Kingston as I said as well as Samsung cards. I have never had any issue with Sandisk standard class 10 cards. And format them FAT32 as mentioned by jeannotte.
Thanks for the response dude. The card I got is a SanDisk Ultra 32GB SDHC Memory Card, Up to 120MB/s, Class 10, UHS-I, V10, so I think I should be good with that, unless I try other cards in vein.

I would link you a screenshot of my folder wheree the file is apparently missing, but I can't post links yet, but I've just dropped the unzipped direct content that I got from the tiramisu site onto the SD card, so I don't see why the files wouldn't be there, and the payload file seems to be there with the correct file extension.

It could just be one of those things.

Post automatically merged:

Just to add to this. Micro SD card with an adapter also works just fine too, as long as they format to fat32. Doesn't matter if it's sdhc or sdxc.
Thanks man, I didn't know you could that.
Post automatically merged:

Alright .

do not hesitate to try different SD cards, some work and others do not.

Sandisk generally works well (I don't advertise :) )
Yeah it is worth trying to troubleshoot because after thinking about it, I don't really know what else I could change.

Reactions: jeannotte

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something is definitely wrong. Either the SD card slot is damaged or the SD card has an issue.

Try formatting the card with the SD Card Formatter tool from sdcard.org:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Since it is a 32GB card it will format as FAT32 by default with the tool. Extract Tiramisu to the root and copy the sigpatches again, and try this again.

If it fails, simply try a different SD card.

If it still fails, you might have a SD slot problem.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Try formatting the card with the SD Card Formatter tool from sdcard.org:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Since it is a 32GB card it will format as FAT32 by default with the tool.
Better to use what the guide says:
Notice Your SD Card will need to be formatted as FAT32. If your SD Card is not formatted to FAT32, use GUIFormat with 32k (32768) allocation unit size to format it.
Do not label the SD Card as wiiu or it will cause issues with homebrew.

In case this doesn't help I would suggest to check the card for errors, like described here: https://3ds.hacks.guide/h2testw-(windows).html

johnnyc14

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey I had the same issue and I couldn’t find a solution anywhere, eventually I figured it out with help, I can’t post the link because I’m new but it was a thread I made on here. Basically, i unzipped the file for tiramisu and copied the whole entire folder, when really you just want the “Wii u” folder and all it’s content that’s IN the unzipped folder, if that makes sense. You could check my profile to see the thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: gm chat