Hacking Can other cards read the M3 GBA expansion?

carterman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting kind of tired of all the small issues with the M3 Real (like Rudolph breaking GBA Backup Tool .2 for the M3 Real, the default firmware being so clunky, the card being a poor fit, the problems with Bleach Dark Souls), and have been investigating other cards, at least as a second option. But, I'd like to know if any other cards have the ability to work with the GBA expansion. I think I heard it was merely a repackaging of another GBA expansion so I think it might work with other cards, but does anyone have any specific experience?

unz

Chaotic Neutral
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've tested M3's GBA Exp. pack with a CycloDS, just to see if it worked.

The answer is yes, it does work - but you'll have to run GBA Exploader every single time you use the GBA exp. pack for anything.

So yes, it's useable with other cards, but doing so is fairly clunky.

carterman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, so I'm guessing there isn't a card that would support it from the OS, or at least the Cyclo doesn't. I'd also have to use the ExpLoader for when I wanted to use the RAM in the expansion, I guess that's what you mean by "every single time you use the GBA exp. pack for anything."
tongue.gif

unz

Chaotic Neutral
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just to clarify, "every single time" for "anything" means: Play a GBA game or use the Opera web browser.
The only other card that would offer native support for the M3 GBA Exp. pack would be the iTouch DS, M3's budget flash cart. But that would probably be even worse than the M3 Real.

carterman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With no experience with ExpLoader, do you just load the program that would need to use the RAM from within ExpLoader or something? Like, for example, Opera, Snemul, or NeoDS? Sorry for the newbie questions, thanks a bunch for answering, unz.

unz

Chaotic Neutral
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hey no probs, glad I can lend a hand.

Arg. I was trying to write you a quick n' dirty guide, but my M3 GBA Exp. card isn't playing nicely with my Cyclo at the moment.
Probably because I'm running beta software on the Cyclo and the version of Exploader I'm using isn't compatible with the M3 GBA Exp. pack. Things have changed a lot since I originally tested these two cards together.

All I can suggest is that you download this version of GBA Exploader (which DOES support the M3 Exp pack) and check things out for yourself. The program pretty much tells you what to do to get different things working. If you get stuck, just ask here - if I can't help, someone else will probably have a solution.

...or just stick to the M3 Real coz it may have a few niggles but hey, it works just great with the GBA Exp pack...

carterman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again, urz. Really wish that Rudolph would get the issues resolved with GBA Backup Tool 0.2 and the M3 Real line being on his enemies list, as I've got some EEPROM GBA games to back up and other methods for backing up GBA saves don't really work for me, but I haven't tried that hard, either. Plus, I really just want to get a second flashcart just to have around as a backup and in cases where the M3 Real kinda sucks...and hey, DealExtreme's got what looks like the 2.1 version of the Acekard for $13. Now, hopefully the shipping won't take too long on that...

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
carterman said:
Thanks again, urz. Really wish that Rudolph would get the issues resolved with GBA Backup Tool 0.2 and the M3 Real line being on his enemies list, as I've got some EEPROM GBA games to back up and other methods for backing up GBA saves don't really work for me, but I haven't tried that hard, either. Plus, I really just want to get a second flashcart just to have around as a backup and in cases where the M3 Real kinda sucks...and hey, DealExtreme's got what looks like the 2.1 version of the Acekard for $13. Now, hopefully the shipping won't take too long on that...
if they are on his enemies list why wouldnt he remove support for the m3 gba exp pak on GBA ExpLoader?

unz

Chaotic Neutral
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
carterman said:
(...) DealExtreme's got what looks like the 2.1 version of the Acekard for $13. Now, hopefully the shipping won't take too long on that...
Why not save yourself some grief and buy an EZ 3in1 while you're there? DX sells them for just a touch over $20 and Rudolph has no problem supporting it...

Just sayin...

carterman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3 reasons:

1) 95% of my use of the expansion pack is just GBA games, I rarely ever use the ram and never use the rumble.
2) this acekard is really just a secondary card
3) I never like to take the easy way out
tongue.gif

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
carterman said:
That would be because they only got added to his enemies list in June, which was his last update apparently before the new release of the GBA Backup Tool: http://www009.upp.so-net.ne.jp/rudolph/Exclusion_hard.html
I see, didnt know they wanted to block all devices

I thought they just told him to stop reverse engineering sakura for other carts or they would take legal action

I only used the backup tool to dump some of my own GBA games (wanted to finally rid myself of the unskipable mode7 intros...)
worked fine

I never use GBA ExpLoader, just have the latest release on my cart in case the built in one gives me any trouble but so far its run all my games fine

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3