Hacking cd cover clearance?

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
LightyKD said:
Before you guys completely knock down stick on labels, just remember that most of the companies who make these labels also post guarantees on their packaging. In other words, SUE their asses if their labels muck up your system.So you think it is worth spending the time and effort and money to bring someone to court over a product you used on a product that was most likely illegal (your 'backed up' disc) in the first place?
toastert2003 said:
here's what i would do..
buy a ton of the single disc sleeves... leave the disc blank and unwritten on, and write the name of the game/region/force to ntsc/pal on the sleeve if necessary... and leave the disc unprinted, unwritten on... and then move on...
this would save the need for this entire conversation
smile.gif
It wouldn't stop theis conversation at all because you are saying what YOU would be doing. We are trying to discuss ways to make a disc look pretty not how to not bother about doing it.QUOTE(Tichinde925 @ Dec 3 2008, 03:21 PM)
Case >>> Sleeve
You wouldnt drag your DVD across a couch then put it into a case now would you?
I see your point and have found many sleeves can scratch discs. I use single paper sleeves for all my discs though and have no problems with scratches (from the sleeves at least) as yet.
I actually moved over to the single paper sleeves from those wallet style cases with the sleeved compartments because of disc scratching.
Some of those disc wallets are horrendous too, I've seen ones where the casing has the sleeves at the front and back of the case stuck onto it. That meant to put a disc in or out you had to drag it over the zipper!

UrkeytaY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They don't look to pretty, but my roommate just bought one of these labelers.

PT1880.jpg

The labels it prints are are very verrrrry thin. Plus they seem to sit pretty flush with the surface. So I really don't' see any risk of it throwing off the balance inside the Wii...or any other type of optical reader.

only labeled a few games so far as the others were just sharpied on, but if something happens I'm sure I'll report it.

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
UrkeytaY said:
They don't look to pretty, but my roommate just bought one of these labelers.
They sure don't
wink.gif

I think the point is having a nice looking disc, I know it is for me.
I guess at least with those you could keep a uniform look that may be still differentiated into groups by using different backing colours.

I really think of any label on a disc as a time bomb though.
ever seen a disc that's shattered in a drive?
look here, I mean look at the guys picture he is so nerdy you gotta take his word for it if not mine.

Dteyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
shtonkalot said:
I think the point is having a nice looking disc, I know it is for me.

I agree, I'd personally much rather have my backups nice, bright and colorful instead of written on with a sharpie, or with a Ptouch label.

I have a Canon Pixma iP4300 printer (can be bought for less than $100 these days) similar to what others in this thread use for printing labels onto discs. The result is stunning, full-color backup discs that look far better than the washed-out bland colors that my original discs use. The labels can never peel since there is no paper/glue involved, the surface of the disc is manufactured with inkjet printable materials, so it's not damaged by the ink.

I like to create disc labels for games that I can't find labels for... I like my backups to be consistent and also look nice. I could do up a tutorial some time if anyone is interested in creating their own labels using the 'wiisc_disk.psd' Photoshop template, it's pretty simple once you get the hang of it. That way if it's not on cdcovers.cc or console-covers.com then you can make your own and you're good to go.
smile.gif

Full color backups FTW!
smile.gif

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I agree with everyone who says printable discs is the way to go. My Canon Pixma iP4200x prints them awesomely, and I've yet to have any reading problems anywhere, even after like two years of use (Verbatim discs). I can recommend that.

dajavax

Trophies
Website
www.dajavax.tk
XP
Country
Mexico
shtonkalot said:
Canon printing software:
cdlabelprintqe9.png

how did you make that... or where did you get it... it looks awesome... i have a lightscribe drive so i might start making some backups with nice graphics... ohh and... i think original cd covers would look great in lightcribe but i guess you can't get them... or can i?

dajavax

Trophies
Website
www.dajavax.tk
XP
Country
Mexico
supersonic88 said:
my wife has a lightscribe drive on her desktop, but nither of us have used it and dont really know HOW to use it =p
other wise i'd use that instead
it's easy... just write the cd... open the tray, flip the cd... open the program u use to make cd designs... and make it... click print and select the lightscribe drive as a printer... it only appears in programs to make cd designs though...

supersonic88

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
dajavax said:
supersonic88 said:
my wife has a lightscribe drive on her desktop, but nither of us have used it and dont really know HOW to use it =p
other wise i'd use that instead
it's easy... just write the cd... open the tray, flip the cd... open the program u use to make cd designs... and make it... click print and select the lightscribe drive as a printer... it only appears in programs to make cd designs though...
ok really? cool but i assume i'd need lightscribe discs as well, correct? and if thats the case, what brand seems to work well? i was thinking Verbatim DVD-R, would i be right about that? =p

Dteyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dajavax said:
how did you make that... or where did you get it... it looks awesome...

You can get pre-made covers at www.cdcovers.cc or www.console-covers.com. You can also make your own using Photoshop and a template called "wiisc_disk.psd" (Google for a torrent of it).

Actually I found a link to the Photoshop template: http://www.hackmiiwii.com/wp-content/uploa.../wiisc_disk.psd

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dajavax said:
how did you make that... or where did you get it... it looks awesome... i have a lightscribe drive so i might start making some backups with nice graphics... ohh and... i think original cd covers would look great in lightcribe but i guess you can't get them... or can i?Check out www.console-covers.com
There are some Lightscribe covers there too but not many.
I prefer the look of the printed discs to my Wii originals.
Dteyn said:
You can get pre-made covers at www.cdcovers.cc or www.console-covers.com. You can also make your own using Photoshop and a template called "wiisc_disk.psd" (Google for a torrent of it).

Actually I found a link to the Photoshop template: http://www.hackmiiwii.com/wp-content/uploa.../wiisc_disk.psdI use console-covers site for all my labels now. I prefer the high quality customs that you get there over scans of originals.
I also think that the templates hosted on console-covers are great, particularly Marker's ones. You can find them here: http://www.console-covers.com/Downloads/Va...ces:/Templates/
idunnoilikends said:
do all printers support printing to disks?
No. Only some models from Canon, Epson and HP AFAIK. I'd really recommend the Canon models after having a couple, excellent print quality and software.
QUOTE(Zantetsu @ Dec 4 2008, 09:09 AM)
Sharpies are superior XP
Why not just mark it with your faeces and distinguish your titles by smell?
dry.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Put your duck in the slit and press the insert button
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn that worked, thanks!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, wut the heck
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just format it to ntfs or fat32 I don't remember
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh when you put it in the ps3, it asks to format I thought. I just look it up when I get the new hd.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sorry but i cant join the conversation despite having a ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Run it in safe mode
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never knew linksys was owned under foxconn
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Evilnat is custom firmware for PS3, ofc.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I used to have Rebug on there, but I didn't like how they weren't pushing a lot of updates.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Why update something a small percent cares about
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm mostly upgrading his hd, he has a 120gb in it now, lol, gonna give him a 2tb (1.5tb), not sure if he has it cfw or not, i haven't even turned it on yet. Ill mess w it tomorrow, I'm busy killing clowns right now.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is he paying you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh, I told him not worried bout it, but he paying for the new HD. He will prob buy me a case ole beer, or a sack for doing it.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    would you guys rather never eat cake again (in general) or nevee eat ice cream again (in general)?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, im staying with ps3hen
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What about ice cream cake?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, So old-skool.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea ps3HEN is fine, don't mess with what's not broken. The HEN version irc is for the super Slims, and CFW (evilnat) for other models
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, also what are the differences with ps3hen and evilnat?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They both basically do the same
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @BigOnYa ice cream cake is fucked either way
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    @BigOnYa ok i read that the super slim model (the one i have) isnt compatible with cfw and that "HEN is the next best thing, it is a semi jailbreak applied on top of the OFW system software, it is geared towards console models that aren't CFW compatible, you can run homebrew, play backups but you cannot use customised system files & must reapply your customisations & HEN after every boot."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    8=D
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 8=D