Hacking Cheat Menu shows Backlight Control?

moviecouple

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed on some games under the cheat menu that there is a cheat for DS Lite Backlight Control. I am guessing this is a way to change the strength of the backlight within the game itself, but cannot figure how to use it.

Digital1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the advantage/disadvantage in decreasing/increasing screen brightness? I'm not even sure why that is considered a cheat, can't you just do that from the main menu of your DS or M3Real?

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but the main menu isn't inside a game, now is it? The point of this "cheat" is that you don't have to stop the game if you need to change the brightness for whatever reason (low battery, for example).

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
it's considered a cheat since it's done through a cheat-system using cheat-codes.

and yes you can set it in the menu.
but what if you're in a car and enter a long tunnel while your backlight is in lowest setting?
or your battery is running low while at max backlight and a few minutes away from a savepoint?
then it's usefull to be able to change the settings ingame.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
Yes, but the main menu isn't inside a game, now is it? The point of this "cheat" is that you don't have to stop the game if you need to change the brightness for whatever reason (low battery, for example).
QUOTE(thedicemaster @ Jun 14 2008, 03:14 PM) it's considered a cheat since it's done through a cheat-system using cheat-codes.

and yes you can set it in the menu.
but what if you're in a car and enter a long tunnel while your backlight is in lowest setting?
or your battery is running low while at max backlight and a few minutes away from a savepoint?
then it's usefull to be able to change the settings ingame.

Exactly, hence why every game in the cheat database has the Backlight codes.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
moviecouple said:
So the cheat codes are universal for all Flashcarts? Just not working for the M3 DS Real?
Yes, its a ASM (Assembly) hack that changes the portion of Memory related to the Nintendo DS backlight control. So the code is pretty much universal with all games and flashcards though some flashcards contain bugs (Like the M3DSReal) which doesn't support the backlight control or already use that button combination and breaks the code (CyclosDS).

Zaldbathar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idk if anyone will ever see this but i had a question about this backlite thing, as some was able to access the function in pokemon soul silver using an action replay code. What do you think would happen if you tried to use said AR code on an emulator? Like say on an iPhone. Btw this is the code if you were curious:

::DS Lite Backlight Control
:::Hold L+R+SELECT then press UP to increase brightness or DOWN to decrease brightness
94000130 FCFB0000
023FE074 012FFF11
E0000000 000000A8
E28F0001 E12FFF10
A21AB5F0 88234C24
80138811 D02A428B
25803490 F0002000
1C06F82A F0002004
2703F826 21404007
D003420B 420B2180
E018D00C 4231210C
2F03D006 1C79D013
F0002004 E00EF816
E0094331 438E210C
2F001C31 1E79D004
F0002004 E002F80A
F0002000 BCF0F806
4718BC08 30800000
88222100 D1FC422A
80224A08 88208060
D1FC4228 80220C12
88228061 D1FC422A
21FF8860 47704008
04000130 80028802
023FE074 E3520003
D2000000 00000000

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That would depend upon the emulator. Some emulators and devices that function as such do respond to such a command in a positive way (changing a filter to simulate brightness changes maybe), some might recognise it as a command but do nothing with the results as there is nothing to do* at least visually, some might consider it an unknown command and crash (doubtful as some games do give you the option and it is not exactly a complicated network handling action)...

*unlike say closing the screen (which is actually pressing a button as far as the internals are concerned) then backlight state which you can see in http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#dspowermanagementdevice is rather basic.

I don't think we ever saw anything use this as a small bit of save memory, randomness source or an anti piracy check (theoretically it could be used as one -- find something that emulators/flash carts do not support and use that to tell you are running on one being how anti piracy works as a general principle, and as flash carts were a thing the devs cared about and it would not do a thing against those it is at best a very weak method here, not to mention emulators would catch on and sort that out in seconds without even having to alter the game's code).

Zaldbathar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah i guess that makes sense, i was just worried cuz i was thinking that would try to change the brightness on one of two screens and the emulator im using is Delta on my iPhone.. Just didn't wanna risk it lmao.

I have a question btw how exactly do Action Replay codes work, never had access to AR or GS growing up. Would knowledge of a games code + how the cheat system works make it possible to work out codes that do things you want? Like how exactly do the codes that do work exist, how are they either found or made? There are always codes i look for that don't exist and i have always wondered if maybe they just havent been sussed out yet..

Hoap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ah i guess that makes sense, i was just worried cuz i was thinking that would try to change the brightness on one of two screens and the emulator im using is Delta on my iPhone.. Just didn't wanna risk it lmao.

I have a question btw how exactly do Action Replay codes work, never had access to AR or GS growing up. Would knowledge of a games code + how the cheat system works make it possible to work out codes that do things you want? Like how exactly do the codes that do work exist, how are they either found or made? There are always codes i look for that don't exist and i have always wondered if maybe they just havent been sussed out yet..
They temporarily replace ROM/RAM/whatever addresses so that the game acts different. Some people who know this kinda stuff can just write an 8 digit number that somehow makes the card quickly change address ABCD to 84 which sets the character's health to minus 26. It's kinda easy to understand, but I suck at explaining things so I think I just made it sound like witchcraft or something like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hunter x hunter
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    he has not allowed anyone to continue it for him for example
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, theres a dragon ball af mod for budokai 3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
    NinStar @ NinStar: people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious