Hacking cIOSrev15 released and it's broken yay

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Calm down guys!

I know some of us are a bit disappointed at what waninkoko has said, but let's not argue about it.

What will be will be fellas...

I too hope he will release the source (with wiigators permission).

Any more arguing/complaints will be removed, understood? Keep all posts constructive please
smile.gif

Waninkoko: Thank you for the release.
WiiPower: Thank you also for your work and pointing out the bug (hopefully it can be fixed soon).

Skizzo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, some really oddball moderation going on here. I reply to a post, responding to the points made in that post and my post is removed for being off-topic, yet the post I was replying to remains. WTF? How is that even possible? Certainly isn't logical. Anyways, I guess only certain people can get away with saying certain things, so I'll just leave it to them (yeah, I asked the mods if this type of talk was OK, and seeing as how I didn't get any reply and the post remains, I'd assume it is, but I'll just link to it to be safe...and if the shoe fits...)

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=190...p;#entry2385446

Skarface05

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Please all - Just hang in there.

I will have a chat with waninkoko tomorrow about this - But to be perfectly honest, I see exactly where he is coming from.

He said he was no longer going to be active in the Wii scene but would try his best to update his current apps etc. He has spent what little time he does have available trying to get a rev15 out to the public.

Yes, there are faults - these can be fixed. Wiipower is also able to fix the error 001 on his side.

But hey - Don't give someone such a hard time because not everything works as it should. It's hard to get things 100% correct.

I just think you should all sit back and think a little about this before making posts etc - and thank you OSW for you comments.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Skarface05 said:
Please all - Just hang in there.

I will have a chat with waninkoko tomorrow about this - But to be perfectly honest, I see exactly where he is coming from.

He said he was no longer going to be active in the Wii scene but would try his best to update his current apps etc. He has spent what little time he does have available trying to get a rev15 out to the public.

Yes, there are faults - these can be fixed. Wiipower is also able to fix the error 001 on his side.

But hey - Don't give someone such a hard time because not everything works as it should. It's hard to get things 100% correct.

I just think you should all sit back and think a little about this before making posts etc - and thank you OSW for you comments.
thanks for the info
let waninkoko know that some us really do appreciate his efforts.
im sure all will get fixed soon.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
King Of Chaos said:
He could release the source without the DIP stuff if WiiGator doesn't agree.

That would be cool for the nand emu. But the bug i mentioned is related to the dip module. The dip module is the part of the IOS that talks to the wii drive normally.

MaGnUmKiLLa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
madcapslaugh said:
MaGnUmKiLLa said:
I have to say, this is very disheartening. It really sounds like the people working on this stuff are giving up on people that don't use a usb loader. I realize that was a natural evolutionary step but, they can't expect us all to use it. I'd say there's still a significant percentage of people that, like me, are softmodded and use discs. Now, I don't know these people but, I can't help but think that if we didn't have so many people working on so many different things we wouldn't have these problems. Is it really necessary to have like so many people working on so many cios's and so many different backup launchers? All this does is complicate the hell out of an already way too complicated process. I realize you're already being user friendly by just making this stuff available to the public and, it's not like we have any say or we pay you or anything. I'm just saying, this is absolutely getting to the point where people that don't have a Master's degree from MIT can't keep up. Nintendo keeps pumping out games that all have different AP or compatibility issues and each and every game requires a different type of fix that's getting almost impossible to fix. NSMB still doesn't work on softmod without the usb does it? Something doesn't give soon, I'm gonna take my wii back to factory default. I'd rather pay for the games than put up with all this headache and trouble.

why dont you just get a usb drive, even spending $40 on a drive will get you enough for 30 games at least.

I really don't think that's the point. I'm really having a hard time understanding all the ins and outs of this homebrew stuff in the first place *seriously guys is it that hard to explain ios's?* and I've heard nothing but how the usb loader is super confusing and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Really, it's just been easier to stick to disks till now.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
USB loaders are just as hit-or-miss as disc loaders are. That is to say, they're not really hit or miss at all.

And if you want to know what an IOS is, you could always go to Wiibrew where that kind of thing has been documented for a good while.

TeenTin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I don't care about the 249. Every update introduces new bugs! Suck at compatibility. (Actually, I only have rev9 installed.)

I just love to see Hermes 222 update, making the already excellent version even more perfect.

micric100

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know he left the scene partialy, and I am so happy that he made rev 15, and am now very sad that he's gone for good, and I hope he changes his mind. Please keep developing Waninkoko, you don't have to release the code if you don't want as long as you keep working on it yourself because your the best. Please try to convince him to stay those that talk to him, skarface, wiipower.

Not taking anything away from hermes, but I've only used waninkoko's cios always the latest version, and I've never encountered a problem for the games I play, except with triforce which I will now test with rev 15 and hope it's improved.

Thank You Waninkoko please stay

Jaz808

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rev 15 didnt fix my SSBB that i ripped to my hdd with rev 9, it worked with rev 9,10,12,13&13b, as it should, not on 14 and not on 15 same probs as 14, anyone have this working on 249

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Let's see what makes up wanky's cIOS:
- DIP module: made by wiigator, broken DL and 001 errors added by wanky
- SDHC module: made by wiigator, not needed if you used an IOS with SDHC as a base
- USB2 module: made by kwiirk
- FAT module: made by wanky, but first appeared as source code in Hermes' cIOS
- ES/FFS patches: made by wanky, a complete mess (why would you do big-endian conversions everywhere when it's already a big-endian CPU?) and full of bugs, which is why triiforce fails so much

So someone who takes most of their work from other people because they aren't very competent at making their own is leaving. Sounds like a good thing to me.

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
King Of Chaos said:

I can hardly see it being an issue. Several of wiigator's apps are open source as it is, like his backup launcher, gamecube backup launcher, gamecube cmios patcher, etc.

Although I will say, and I say this as a big supporter of open source software, that releasing the source code for things is not always the best idea.

Dark_Alex of the PSP scene was very careful about whom he gave the source code of his custom firmware to. Why? Because if source code like that becomes available, everyone is able to see how custom firmware is made, including Sony.

The source code for an older custom firmware was leaked once, and this greatly angered Dark_Alex. Why? Because Sony, having seen the source code, deliberately made changes in their next firmware update in order to complicate making the custom firmware.

Now, knowing this event, you can all likely deduce that Nintendo getting ahold of the source for the custom IOS would quite possibly mean Nintendo making their IOS's more difficult to patch, make games more difficult to run with backup launchers, etc.

That's why, in this case, I think the source code should be carefully controlled by those in the wii community able to handle updating the cIOS.

Now of course, I'm not saying that the source code being available for it will instantly cause problems with Nintendo's possible counter measures, but it's certainly something to consider before you release it.

madcapslaugh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
MaGnUmKiLLa said:
madcapslaugh said:
MaGnUmKiLLa said:
I have to say, this is very disheartening. It really sounds like the people working on this stuff are giving up on people that don't use a usb loader. I realize that was a natural evolutionary step but, they can't expect us all to use it. I'd say there's still a significant percentage of people that, like me, are softmodded and use discs. Now, I don't know these people but, I can't help but think that if we didn't have so many people working on so many different things we wouldn't have these problems. Is it really necessary to have like so many people working on so many cios's and so many different backup launchers? All this does is complicate the hell out of an already way too complicated process. I realize you're already being user friendly by just making this stuff available to the public and, it's not like we have any say or we pay you or anything. I'm just saying, this is absolutely getting to the point where people that don't have a Master's degree from MIT can't keep up. Nintendo keeps pumping out games that all have different AP or compatibility issues and each and every game requires a different type of fix that's getting almost impossible to fix. NSMB still doesn't work on softmod without the usb does it? Something doesn't give soon, I'm gonna take my wii back to factory default. I'd rather pay for the games than put up with all this headache and trouble.

why dont you just get a usb drive, even spending $40 on a drive will get you enough for 30 games at least.

I really don't think that's the point. I'm really having a hard time understanding all the ins and outs of this homebrew stuff in the first place *seriously guys is it that hard to explain ios's?* and I've heard nothing but how the usb loader is super confusing and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Really, it's just been easier to stick to disks till now.

I have tested over 200 games with 2 usb loaders (gx and neogamma) and have to say i have no idea what you are talking about, it takes about 10 min to set up a virgin wii to play and about another 5 min to prep a usb hard drive.

there are countless tutorials that walk you hand and hand through the install process. you could even PM me and ill explain it myself. totally worth it. never have to worry about a bad burn, and you get to pick out your games with a totally sweet coverflow

Skizzo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
s3phir0th115 said:
King Of Chaos said:

I can hardly see it being an issue. Several of wiigator's apps are open source as it is, like his backup launcher, gamecube backup launcher, gamecube cmios patcher, etc.

Although I will say, and I say this as a big supporter of open source software, that releasing the source code for things is not always the best idea.

Dark_Alex of the PSP scene was very careful about whom he gave the source code of his custom firmware to. Why? Because if source code like that becomes available, everyone is able to see how custom firmware is made, including Sony.

The source code for an older custom firmware was leaked once, and this greatly angered Dark_Alex. Why? Because Sony, having seen the source code, deliberately made changes in their next firmware update in order to complicate making the custom firmware.

Now, knowing this event, you can all likely deduce that Nintendo getting ahold of the source for the custom IOS would quite possibly mean Nintendo making their IOS's more difficult to patch, make games more difficult to run with backup launchers, etc.

That's why, in this case, I think the source code should be carefully controlled by those in the wii community able to handle updating the cIOS.

Now of course, I'm not saying that the source code being available for it will instantly cause problems with Nintendo's possible counter measures, but it's certainly something to consider before you release it.
Do you honestly think Nintendo isn't capable of RE the code with all the development tools they have available?

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I do agree with the guy saying it should be controlled, imagine everyone having access and a millio0n rev 16 out there lol, and some with mallicious code, I think only people in the know should have access and end users like me should not have access as we dont know what we are doing lol

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So still nobody made a NeoGamma or SoftChip mod, where that one line is just commented? I said i won't release a "fix", but since both loaders are open source, nobody needs my permission to release a modded version. Only the GPL has to be respected, which is more or less automatically done if you keep the source in the package.

MarioMadness

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
So still nobody made a NeoGamma or SoftChip mod, where that one line is just commented? I said i won't release a "fix", but since both loaders are open source, nobody needs my permission to release a modded version. Only the GPL has to be respected, which is more or less automatically done if you keep the source in the package.

WiiPower which build of libogc is NeoGamma R8 built with?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==