Hacking Coding vWii 3-core support - everything you need to know.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Millertime was a Ray Lewis dupe, I have removed posts above as to not make his IP public.

The lesson here is, do not make dupes, we will discover you one way or the other! :teach:

No biggie, I was wondering if I said something wrong :lol: I've already informed those who he deceived via PM. :P

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Slightly more on topic: Does anybody know of a good free guide for learning ASM basics? I'd like something I could go through in a week or so. I'm not expecting to be able to code in such a short time, but I'd like to understand the basics so I can at least tell what it's supposed to do. I have no *%#@ing idea what that is supposed to be in the first post. The only bits that make sense to me are commented out.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
Slightly more on topic: Does anybody know of a good free guide for learning ASM basics? I'd like something I could go through in a week or so. I'm not expecting to be able to code in such a short time, but I'd like to understand the basics so I can at least tell what it's supposed to do. I have no *%#@ing idea what that is supposed to be in the first post. The only bits that make sense to me are commented out.

I have been reading these tutorials here joostin , i have refreshed my memory from over 30 yrs ago , when i understood the basics listed on the linked site. The basics are the same. I havent found anything else to use

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=7155

Reactions: JoostinOnline

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
OP
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
the commented out part that makes sense is kind of a description of what the next few lines of ASM are actually doing. ;)

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The problem is not the assembly. The problem is that you need to know how a microprocessor works on it lowest level.
Assembly is basically just a readable way to write down the cpu instructions.
Some knowledge of binary logical operations and arthimetic will be needed as well. Learning all that in a week will be a
challenge at least.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
The problem is not the assembly. The problem is that you need to know how a microprocessor works on it lowest level.
Assembly is basically just a readable way to write down the cpu instructions.
Some knowledge of binary logical operations and arthimetic will be needed as well. Learning all that in a week will be a
challenge at least.
I gave up at "you need to know".

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
There is a saying in my country "Rome wasn't build up in a day"
(They did manage to burn it down in a day but that's not related to the saying)

It wasn't my intention to scare you off.
I learned the basics when processors still were 8 bit and far less complex than they are know.
It's hard to say how difficult it would be to start learning it now from the beginning. It surely depends upon your motivation to do it.

Reactions: Slimmmmmm

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
<snip> Back peddling that causes a vacuum. That is a more pleasant way to describe it. Tried to detail in a blog as it is a blog and it said it is my space. The last several posts had a lot to do with me and what happened to me. I don't believe this to be off topic, nor does it appear to be flaming or trolling given the context. I promised good behavior.

On topic, way to load, Maxternal mentioned this, to Linux and activate 3 cores when? Need advanced ppc stuff for using the three cores. Coincidentally, Marcan detailed this in the espresso blog and posts in this/Linux threads. I was recruiting coding, Linux, and ppc skill sets. For weeks before about 3 days ago. This is all public in threads. I hope Maxternal succeeds as he began this work. It appears Maxternal posted a few updates.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nope, it's not.
There just isn't anything to announce in public at the moment.
Figuring out those things takes time.
Altough people often speak about a "source tree", programs don't grow on trees.

HaTaX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sooo, back on topic... I've been following this thread for a bit now and have found it pretty interesting besides the distraction 2 pages ago. :)

I did some work on the Wii early on with a USB loader, but haven't touched code on it for a while. The nice thing for me is that the CPU architecture is the same as a 'system' that I do spend a good amount of time working with doing assembly level coding... As far as the linux side goes I'm quite comfortable compiling a kernel and such, kinda look forward to the challenge of getting one to boot properly with the modifications on the Wii-U honestly.

Not sure how to jump in and help, or if there's a group that is setup working together on it. If I could offer what little free time I've got and had any needed skills, I'd be happy to help. Honestly I probably just need to gather up some code that's been listed in the thread and stare at it for a little bit, get an idea of where the project is at and where it needs to end up. If someone wants to contact me and let me know how to get in the loop, please do as I'd be happy to help wherever I can!

Reactions: pelago

rednekcowboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sooo, back on topic... I've been following this thread for a bit now and have found it pretty interesting besides the distraction 2 pages ago. :)

I did some work on the Wii early on with a USB loader, but haven't touched code on it for a while. The nice thing for me is that the CPU architecture is the same as a 'system' that I do spend a good amount of time working with doing assembly level coding... As far as the linux side goes I'm quite comfortable compiling a kernel and such, kinda look forward to the challenge of getting one to boot properly with the modifications on the Wii-U honestly.

Not sure how to jump in and help, or if there's a group that is setup working together on it. If I could offer what little free time I've got and had any needed skills, I'd be happy to help. Honestly I probably just need to gather up some code that's been listed in the thread and stare at it for a little bit, get an idea of where the project is at and where it needs to end up. If someone wants to contact me and let me know how to get in the loop, please do as I'd be happy to help wherever I can!

Send a PM to Maxternal and Ninja. More help is always appreciated

Reactions: the_randomizer

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
OP
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Just wanted to update that we have officially proven to ourselves that we are running PowerPC code again after resetting and doing the race attack.
Then next step if to finish all that ASM from OP so it'll actually have something to run.

Going is slow finding time to actually work on this but it IS moving along.

Ninja_Carver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to update that we have officially proven to ourselves that we are running PowerPC code again after resetting and doing the race attack.
Then next step if to finish all that ASM from OP so it'll actually have something to run.

Going is slow finding time to actually work on this but it IS moving along.

:bow:

Reactions: Maxternal

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    C @ Clayton44333: with settings updated