Hardware Could a Wii U game run at 720p or 1080p depending on the controller?

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
The graphic on the Wii U controller are processed on the controller. Adding more controllers doesn't affect the graphics on the TV.
To have two U Pads running at 60FPS, the Wii U would need to send 2x as much data, which it is unable to do. To get round this, Nintendo drop the frame rate to 30FPS, almost halving the data sent to the U Pads, and therefore allowing 2 U Pads to be connected simultaneously.
In short, the U Pad has no effect on the Wii U's GFX performance.

D

Deleted_171835

Im aware you didn't, that's why I asked the question.
(no need to be so butthurt man)
I don't know what half of the thread is going on about.

It depends on what's being shown on the controller. If a game is being rendered twice (on the TV and controller), then perhaps although I doubt that'll free up enough resources to render 2.25x the pixels. If it's simply a map on the controller, then no.

No one's butthurt here.

The graphic on the Wii U controller are processed on the controller. Adding more controllers doesn't affect the graphics on the TV.
To have two U Pads running at 60FPS, the Wii U would need to send 2x as much data, which it is unable to do. To get round this, Nintendo drop the frame rate to 30FPS, almost halving the data sent to the U Pads, and therefore allowing 2 U Pads to be connected simultaneously.
Stop spouting bullshit if you don't know what you're talking about it. Everything is processed on the console and then transmitted to the controller.

Reactions: 1 person

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't graphics just boil down to design style? I've seen games run in 720p that look better than others running at 1080p because of the style of the textures used. I doubt I would mine if some games ran 720p vs 1080p, but I though the WiiU was capable of 1080p output regardless of the controller used. Remember that graphics doesn't make a game, the gameplay does :/

Power has nothing to do with it , its the video game that controls whether it is 720p of 1080p , the processor doesn't have much to do with the quality , the video card does .

So much misinformation in this thread.

For one power does dictate whether a game will run at 720p or 1080p. It's more demanding to run a game at 1080p.

Second, the fact that you seen games that run in 720p look better than another game you've seen in 1080p means absolutely nothing. It's just the resolution. I could just as easily render that game in 1080p.

To clarify,

Screen resolution = number of pixels on the screen

Having a game run at 1080p vs. 720p will not give you better "graphics". It will give you more detail and give you a more clear image.

And @10_0ARMY is confusing aesthetics with graphics. Just because a game is more technically advanced graphics-wise doesn't me it necessarily looks better.

Take Super Mario Galaxy for example, it may not be the most technically advanced game released this generation but it sure is more visually pleasing than a number of other games I've played (brown, brown and more brown).

The Wii U is capable of outputting 1080p just like the PS3 and 360 also were. Most games don't do it because it's much more demanding than running the game at 720p and will require you to scale back other aspects of the game.

I see games with less complex textures that look amazing and ones with complex textures that look like shit. I just wonder why, for example, NFS Hot Pursuit on PS3 looks 100 times better than NFS the Run, but their output resolutions are both 720p.

D

Deleted_171835

I see games with less complex textures that look amazing and ones with complex textures that look like shit. I just wonder why, for example, NFS Hot Pursuit on PS3 looks 100 times better than NFS the Run, but their output resolutions are both 720p.
I just made a post talking about how the resolution doesn't have anything to do with the graphics.

I suggest you go look up,
textures
resolution
graphics

Here, I even gave you the Wikipedia links to get started.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im aware you didn't, that's why I asked the question.
(no need to be so butthurt man)
I don't know what half of the thread is going on about.

It depends on what's being shown on the controller. If a game is being rendered twice (on the TV and controller), then perhaps although I doubt that'll free up enough resources to render 2.25x the pixels. If it's simply a map on the controller, then no.

No one's butthurt here.

Stop spouting bullshit if you don't know what you're talking about it. Everything is processed on the console and then transmitted to the controller.

Well would it have been so hard to just quote yourself in the first place instead of giving a response that accomplished nothing but make you sound butthurt? Also, if you already said it then why did you even ask where you said it?

D

Deleted_171835

Well would it have been so hard to just quote yourself in the first place instead of giving a response that accomplished nothing but make you sound butthurt? Also, if you already said it then why did you even ask where you said it?
You quoted a post of mine asking something that had nothing to do with it. What did you expect?

Simply reading the thread would have helped. ;)

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You quoted a post of mine asking something that had nothing to do with it. What did you expect?

Simply reading the thread would have helped. ;)

I did read the thread, I heard a bunch of mixed answers so I figured since you seemed to know what you were talking about, I would ask you directly, that's why I couldn't understand the rude reply >_>

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I was reading about Wii U 3rd party games like Assassin's Creed 3 and Batman to run at 1080p and thinking: "How can it be possible if even Nintendo couldn't do that?

So I was thinking: if a given game decides to not use the tablet controller, the spared power could be directed to the graphics and make it possible for a game to run at 1080p...

But... What about allowing the gamer to chose if he would play the game with the conventional (Wii U Pro Controller) and run at 1080p, or use the tablet (GamePad ) controller and its features at the cost of running the game at 720p? Do you think developers are able to, technically, do that?
Look, some time ago there was a bullshit rumor that originated from an unknown spokesman saying that Nintendo will have their first Wii U titles displayed in 720p, the thing is that the E3 demo's he actually was talking about were not final builds, we don't know what resolutions games like Mario will end up supporting.
What we do know however is that the console is capable of displaying those games in 1080p. Third party developers have their games displayed in 1080p so it's not a matter of power.
Though choosing 720p instead will of course free up some power for more graphically intensive games that could end up being released later on.

The Wii U pad can have next to no impact on performance depending on how it's used and that is entirely up to the developers, they can use it as a keyboard, a map, an inventory screen, whatever.
Unless actual game environments are rendered on the sub screen it's nothing more than a piss in the ocean so to speak.

The Wii U uses 60fps Ni-Fi to stream the processed images to the game pad screen, this means that 60fps is the maximum capacity when using one Wii U game pad only.
Using two Wii U game pads with a 60fps stream each would result in doubling the amount of data needed to be transferred, the technology used for streaming doesn't support the increased size in data transfer that's why the system cuts the amount of fps in half for each controller.

And to answer your question in short, no it's very unlikely that disabling the Wii U game pad would free enough power to make a 720p game (that pushes the Wii U limits) 1080p instead, the only exception to this would be games that uses the game pad in more graphically intensive ways.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: :wub: