Decent FREE Dvd vid ripper.

Sir-Fritz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
As most of you probably know, the gbatemp search function doesnt like the words dvd and rip so yeah...

I want a dvd ripper program that is freeware and is easy to use. Something that i can just select the dvd title/chapter that i want and it will rip and convert to a format of my choice. It doesnt matter if it can't bypass copy-protection as i have other programs for that.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
All in one is going to be a bit difficult (especially if you want options/quality).
Title wise I will usually send the files I want through DGmpegdec (the DGIndex part of it at least) and then convert from there.
Worst case scenario/I am lazy and actually have space on my drives (which does not usually happen as I am converting to free space up) I send the DVD through DVDShrink or equivalent with no compression (it is then a plain copy so it is done in no time) to get what I need to send it down the line.
However a lot of the GUI DVD apps can pull this one off, there are loads of these so head on over to http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=78 and pick a couple to find one you like (megui is my tool of choice).

Chapter by chapter is quite a bit harder (I have a few anime series/cheapo TV series dvds that have 4 episodes in 1h20m long video file so I assume this sort of thing is what you are getting at). Here I grab timecodes from whatever app I happen to have to hand (PCGedit mainly although the *edit line of apps (ifoedit, vobedit...) can also be helpful. Here I will split at muxing/immediately after it or as I encode (usually with a trim(XXX,XXX) command in avisynth).
Subtitles can be a pain but something like subtitle workshop should make short work of it.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
anydvd but you will need a u know what....
ph34r.gif

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I use DVD Decrypter. It rips the whole featured film (no menus, trailers, etc) in one raw .vob
or it can rip the selected (specific episode on a DVD) to a raw .vob

Foxle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Handbreak ( http://handbrake.fr/ ) is by far the best DVD Ripper out there, paid or otherwise. I've always used the Mac version of it though however. The Windows one usually lags behind a bit quality wise, but your videos should still come out fine. Give it a try.

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
juggernaut911 said:
I use DVD Decrypter. It rips the whole featured film (no menus, trailers, etc) in one raw .vob
This, it can rip anything... Practically.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Twiffles said:
juggernaut911 said:
This, it can rip anything... Practically.

until you try any titles that are using ARccOS or any of the newer protections that came out after LIGHTNING UK was told to CEASE AND DESIST on the development of DECRYPTER! and stamp on all the sites that host it!
frown.gif

go with something like DVD FAB EXPRESS look for version 2.9.6.6 its a freeware edition and works well
smile.gif

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DVDx, will convert to AVI or MPG... since it's freeware, I'm sure a link would be allowed, but just to be on the safe side, I'm not going to link...

just Google "dvd to avi" and it's the first link!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@kobykaan before the takedown LUK added in an "import sectors list" option so there are workarounds like the PCGedit plugin (a bit more complex and does not work for the newer ones, also the victim of a C&D) and ripit4me (taken down but works nicely enough, a copy should be easy enough to find on the doom9 forums but I have all the versions (or at least the last 20 or so) somewhere).

And for the player based workarounds that appeared well after DVD decrypter there is still stuff like DVDfab but I would not be so quick to discount DVD Decrypter.

@Sir-Fritz WMV? why would you want to use that?

@gov78 to the best of my knowledge there is only DVD Shrink the 2008, 2007 and so on are ripoffs. The author did come back at one point a few months back (I will try and dig up the thread if you want) asking for bugs so stuff may still happen (there are also the "hacked" versions doing the rounds with stuff like support for imgburn instead).

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
@kobykaan before the takedown LUK added in an "import sectors list" option so there are workarounds like the PCGedit plugin (a bit more complex and does not work for the newer ones, also the victim of a C&D) and ripit4me (taken down but works nicely enough, a copy should be easy enough to find on the doom9 forums but I have all the versions (or at least the last 20 or so) somewhere).

And for the player based workarounds that appeared well after DVD decrypter there is still stuff like DVDfab but I would not be so quick to discount DVD Decrypter.

@gov78 to the best of my knowledge there is only DVD Shrink the 2008, 2007 and so on are ripoffs. The author did come back at one point a few months back (I will try and dig up the thread if you want) asking for bugs so stuff may still happen (there are also the "hacked" versions doing the rounds with stuff like support for imgburn instead).

would like to add here ....for the record DVD SHRINK author helped/ co wrote some of the code of NERO RECODE hence the stop of DVD SHRINK as NERO/AHEAD now owns the rights to that and all future code anything else thats come later on regarding DVD SHRINK is fake written by different authors
smile.gif

my point with DECRYPTER was its not perfect it simply cannot deal with any of the later protections plugin or not!
smile.gif

decrypter died long ago with the last release being build 3.5.4.0 March 21 2005 3 whole years ago!!!

the best way to rip a dvd is with ANYDVD running in the background and DVD FAB DECRYPTER or ANY DVD and CLONE DVD
smile.gif

.... but as Sir-Fritz needs something to convert might I suggest GORDIANKNOT to convert to AVI its freeware and does the job great get it here
smile.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Re: gordianknot, that app taught me loads about video (to the extent I now do it by hand largely with the same techniques it uses) but it is has been surpassed.

DVD Decrypter. No argument that it fails some of the more recent protections like ripguard but ARCCOS can still be taken down and not all new DVDs use the fancy protection (companies seem to have realised they do no good at all and costs insane sums of money, couple this with the fact the original poster is in region 4 (way easier going that region 1 and 2 protection wise)). You still have all the DVDs before it and with the options afforded over the other apps I still advocate it. Modern drives mean any problems quickly become apparent and at worst you waste 7 odd minutes.
It is still my primary ripping tool with the DVD Fab line of things being my fallback/choice for really messed up/scratched discs.

Shrink/recode I know that was the rumour but did it become official then (I only found out what happened to Azureus a week or so ago so I am bit behind with such things)?

kobykaan said:
FAST6191 said:

would like to add here ....for the record DVD SHRINK author helped/ co wrote some of the code of NERO RECODE hence the stop of DVD SHRINK as NERO/AHEAD now owns the rights to that and all future code anything else thats come later on regarding DVD SHRINK is fake written by different authors
smile.gif

my point with DECRYPTER was its not perfect it simply cannot deal with any of the later protections plugin or not!
smile.gif

decrypter died long ago with the last release being build 3.5.4.0 March 21 2005 3 whole years ago!!!

the best way to rip a dvd is with ANYDVD running in the background and DVD FAB DECRYPTER or ANY DVD and CLONE DVD
smile.gif

.... but as Sir-Fritz needs something to convert might I suggest GORDIANKNOT to convert to AVI its freeware and does the job great get it here
smile.gif

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
freeware was the keyword here and GORDIAN KNOT is a good tool to start with all the half decent tools you have to buy
frown.gif

anyway rant mode over if Sir-Fritz needs anymore help im sure he will ask
smile.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have yet to see a DVD related app (or even video related app) I would consider buying other than perhaps DVD rebuilder (which is free to an extent and the functionality is easy enough to mimic with other apps), muxman (equally free for what I need it to do) and anydvd (and perhaps some of the similar apps). All the payware stuff I see until we hit pro studio (which then I would still say the freeware can go up against it if you get the right stuff) seems to be poor implementations of/wrappers for FFmpeg and mplayer.

Anyhow once decryption is done and assuming no need to mess around with it.

DGmpegdec, avisynth (simple scripts are easy to throw together), megui and if I am making MKV videos I will round it out with mkvmerge/mkvtoolnix.

Other apps for me are mainly to deal with subtitles and messing with the DVD structure.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:

Cheers, I was gonna try it out til I read this. Wasn't the guy who wrote DVDShrink harrassed the same way the author of DVDDecrypter or something?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Always :D