Hacking Does USB loading work without flatcable connected ?

WalkerOfTheDay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi guys,

Today I was given an abused Wii from a friend of a friend.
His DVD drive stopped working, and with a drunken head he tried to fix it without
the proper tools, tri wing etcetera.

So he drilled (yeah really) open the screws and found out that he wasn't smart enough
to fix the thing, and bought a new one.

He trashed the case, but I think the rest of the parts are all there.
The only problem is, I cannot get the flatcable ribbon to 'stick' to the dvd drive. I think there is some kind
of connector missing at the end of the ribbon. Am I right ?

So my first question is: could I still use it for USB loading without the ribbon connected ?
If not, my second question is: If I buy a replacement flatcable, does it come with the connector I think I need ??

To clarify some pictures below. Forgot to resize them, so I made them into links.

http://i.imgur.com/rlExj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fim95.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dVqUk.jpg

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think the only way you can run anything without a dvd drive connected is using Sneek.

And no there's no connector for the cable, there's a little clip you move you fix it in place.

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
WalkerOfTheDay said:
Hi guys,

Today I was given an abused Wii from a friend of a friend.
His DVD drive stopped working, and with a drunken head he tried to fix it without
the proper tools, tri wing etcetera.

So he drilled (yeah really) open the screws and found out that he wasn't smart enough
to fix the thing, and bought a new one.

He trashed the case, but I think the rest of the parts are all there.
The only problem is, I cannot get the flatcable ribbon to 'stick' to the dvd drive. I think there is some kind
of connector missing at the end of the ribbon. Am I right ?

So my first question is: could I still use it for USB loading without the ribbon connected ?
If not, my second question is: If I buy a replacement flatcable, does it come with the connector I think I need ??

To clarify some pictures below. Forgot to resize them, so I made them into links.

http://i.imgur.com/rlExj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fim95.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dVqUk.jpg
usb loading doesn't need the dvd drive n order for it to work, you just need a usb HDD and wiiflow and your set
smile.gif

(you won't be able to backup your orginal wii games by installing them to the HDD tho)

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You can't launch any channels without a DVD drive. Unless he's already got Pre/Priiloader or bootmii/boot2 you still need at least the controller board connected.

EDIT: Just looked at the pics and the clip is missing. You might be able to just stick it down with tape, or see if your friend can find it. I'm guessing he lost it by just pulling the ribbon out instead of looking first.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Dter ic said:
usb loading doesn't need the dvd drive n order for it to work, you just need a usb HDD and wiiflow and your set
smile.gif

(you won't be able to backup your orginal wii games by installing them to the HDD tho)
Wrong, if any USB loader doesnt detect your dvd drive, it refuses to work, so you need a drive in the case.

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
WiiBricker said:
Dter ic said:
smile.gif

Wrong, if any USB loader doesnt detect your dvd drive, it refuses to work, so you need a drive in the case.
really?? never know that

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Dter ic said:
WiiBricker said:
Dter ic said:
smile.gif

really?? never know that

I have more than a year without my DVD drive, and I can confirm this. Hopefully I'll receive the new one on December 12th from Spain. But yes, (U)SNEEK+DI is the only way to load games and channels without a controller board connected.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Your other option is to buy a new DVD drive online, or perhaps a SunDriver. The DVD drive itself doesn't have to be +-R read capable, if you're planning on doing USB loading anyway. Newer drives are super cheap online since they won't read 'em.

Sao Mortel

Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
I think just connecting a flatmod type modchip(wasabi dx, drivekey) would make it work also without the drive. Yeah used drive like d3-2 must be real cheap there must be some people who have those ling around. post in the want to buy section

WalkerOfTheDay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
cwstjdenobs said:
You can't launch any channels without a DVD drive. Unless he's already got Pre/Priiloader or bootmii/boot2 you still need at least the controller board connected.

EDIT: Just looked at the pics and the clip is missing. You might be able to just stick it down with tape, or see if your friend can find it. I'm guessing he lost it by just pulling the ribbon out instead of looking first.

I modded this wii a couple of years ago, and I do know Preloader 0.29 is installed. I'm not sure about Bootmii though.

Unfortunately he doesn't have the clip anymore
frown.gif

Could I order a clip somewhere, does anyone know ?

I don't want to spend a lot of money on the thing, but I though it would be a nice 'backup' if my own Wii dies some day.
Maybe I'll try sticking it down with tape like you suggested.

steveo1978

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try this slide the ribbon in then take a piece of paper on top of the ribbon cable into the plastic connector so that it will hold the ribbon in place and also so that the paper will put a little pressure on the ribbon cable. Then put a strip of tape to make sure the paper and ribbon cable does not just slide out. If you wanted a more permanent fix I would get a replacement drive and not buy a chip that may or may not solve the problem.

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wode works without a drive connected idk about the cheaper alternatives but you may get away with a wiikey fusion.

you could always try a electronics repair shop they may have something lying around to do the job or bodge it up for you.

WalkerOfTheDay

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Unfortunately, he couldn't help me. Well he could, but I'd have to buy a new drive
frown.gif

I've sent DeadlyFoez the link to this topic, and will wait for his answer first.

If he doesn't have any other solution, I'll try the paper / tape thingy.

megazig

SU
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most things will work. There will be things compiled on older sdk doing drive checks that'll fail. But mostly it'll work

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
DeadlyFoez said:
I have a wii fully working without a drive in it at all. I have tested many different things on my tech wii without a drive connected and never once had a single issue.

Really? Because any official channel or any game launched with any USB Loader won't work in my case. The HBC and the injected SSB64 are the only things that do work (and the homebrew apps, of course).

Anyway, as I said before, if you don't want to buy a new drive just use SNEEK+DI.

steve-p

Trophies
XP
Country
i tried about 18months ago, using firmware 3.2 and cfg-loader booted games fine.

however, there was a guy here at the time who wanted to fit a 2.5inch hd inplace of the dvd mech who couldnt get it to even boot into the main screen.

so it may be firmware version related.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Me niether, us north Koreans don't care