Gaming Dragon Quest 4/5.. Worth bothering with?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, Dragon Quest V is considered by many people (myself included) to be the best DQ game in the series. I'd think it's a bit less boring than VIII since that one is known for its length. I suggest you at least try it out. It's a great game. I loved IV too, but not everyone does.

GenesisX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well.. i didnt bother with 4 or 5.. but i tried 9 and im loving it
biggrin.gif

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yah of the remade stuff of yesterday FF4 was sheer awful in how they damaged it with certain tweaks, my fav and it disgusted me enough to sell it which took me weeks to do.
frown.gif
DQ4 I kept though as it was fantastic and I loved how the first 4/5 chapters were like MINI-RPGs where you played and did a story, then in time the stories all come together in big chapter 5 to work towards the end as a group.

DQ5 as it would take a good probably 30-40 hours to do I don't have time to invest in it, but I will in time, just can't now so I don't have it. But I will back what the others said in that time and again I've seen it listed by and far the best of the original Nintendo era titles.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Vampire Hunter D said:
Yah of the remade stuff of yesterday FF4 was sheer awful in how they damaged it with certain tweaks, my fav and it disgusted me enough to sell it which took me weeks to do.
frown.gif
DQ4 I kept though as it was fantastic and I loved how the first 4/5 chapters were like MINI-RPGs where you played and did a story, then in time the stories all come together in big chapter 5 to work towards the end as a group.

DQ5 as it would take a good probably 30-40 hours to do I don't have time to invest in it, but I will in time, just can't now so I don't have it. But I will back what the others said in that time and again I've seen it listed by and far the best of the original Nintendo era titles.
Every Final Fantasy game on the DS to date has been somewhat of a disappointment aside from Tactics Advance 2, a couple were even horrendous to be honest.

Dragon Quest 4 has the traditional elements of the franchise with one lead character and 3 other party members who join you along the way, however DQ5 is based around a single character and a monster development system where you can scout monsters randomly and have 3 in your party as well as some in your wagon and a farm storage system as well. They are very much different games but both are really good, I finished DQ4 but have not played DQ5 in a while now since I am tied up with other games, but 4 was definately worth playing to be honest, especially if you never played it in Japanese all those years ago. It is hard to guage so far which one in the entire series has been the best, but for me having played all of them to date in some form, I loved 3 the best on the Gameboy, 8 was great but the lame acting and tacky voiceovers of some of the characters drove me nuts, not to mention the final battle being insanely tough and requiring a massive grind to get strong enough to beat the last boss.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely worth checking out. Admittedly, I found IV not nearly as interesting, fun or funny as V, but they're both worth checking out. To me, DQV is an essential DS RPG.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Yes, my favourite of those both is IV
smile.gif

I feel kinda like DQ IX isn't worth bothering with, even though I was like all excited and started doing translations, at the moment I don't feel like playing it... it just feels so blah.

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you found VIII boring I would say that DQ IV and V won't impress you much. Great games, but not for everyone.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DQ IV was one of the best RPGs ever made for the NES, and it's certainly still good on the DS.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well thanks for the non-revealing synopsis of gameplay, now I really wish I could dig the time up to do that damn game. :| DQ5 I'll get one way or the other in time, count on it.

And to me FF3 on DS is fantastic, but then again I retro game and it's just a 3D redo with personalities tacked on the characters of a Famicom game. At least it was interesting, a good challenge, and most of all it was FAIR and BALANCED unlike FF4 the abortion on a ds card version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual +1