Dreamcast help?

Ryufushichou

I'm Not British, I'm Just Gay!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well i just bought a US dreamcast off eBay, and the person who im buying it off said that i would need to buy a Step down transformer, so I've been searching around and they look fairly expensive, im just wondering if its absolutely necessary to get one or if i could just get my cable from my old dreamcast and use that, also any good game suggestions? I've got JSR, Soul Calibur and Crazy Taxi, Anything else?

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
US Dreamcast uses 110V/60hz if I remember well...

I don't know what kind of voltage/frequency you have in your country...

EDIT: just checked, looks like you will need one converter, or you'll fry your dreamcast, as it's 240V in australia.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
If the PSU for the dreamcast is build into the unit (there's no power block) then you need a transformer. If the power block is on the cable (like a Wii or 360) then you can use your old Dreamcast's cable assuming it is functional.

Ryufushichou

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
the PSU is built in so i will need a step down, im just trying to figure out how many watts. i think im going to buy a 100W one from DX the dreamcast takes 75V is that too much or will it work fine?

jinnpan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can always replace the PSU. A EUR PSU will work with a US system.
Remember that the DC is region locked and NTSC format.

overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
Trophies
XP
Country
why dont you just use a USA plug and then use a travel adapter on that... dont they do that sort of thing anyways... or am i way off?

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dreamcast uses 110V/60hz.
Other good games are downloadable, and burn onto blank CD-R's. Also, burns will play with NO modding whatsoever. Some games do need the utopia boot disc tho, which is Downloadable also.
Software to burn = Discjuggler, any version. trial version is free.
Google dreamcast iso's and anything out there should be good.
As far as games, Resident evils, Sega sports, Rayman, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, heck, DL em ALL!

Posts merged

overlord00 said:
why dont you just use a USA plug and then use a travel adapter on that... dont they do that sort of thing anyways... or am i way off?

I agree with overlord on this........

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
The plug changer works if you're going around Europe because we have the same voltage. The adapters for them just change the pins around to fit what's in that country. If you go to America you need a transformer before any of your stuff can wok because they operate on a lower voltage.

jinnpan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you need a chip to make the DC region free let me know. I have several in stock.
I can also help you change the region to USA, JPN or EUR. Video Mode NTSC, PAL50 or PAL60

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
The DC uses a standard figure of 8 adaptor, there's no power block on the cable. Can't remember off hand if the internal PSU is dual voltage. Look carefully at the back/base of the unit and it will tell you. If it says 110-240v, you're good to go. If not, you're likely to make something go kablammo if you wire it up straight to your 240v ozzie mains supply.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As others have said the DC power supply is internal. All is not lost however.

It is not the DC I would be worried about- overloading a transformer is the thing I would be worried about (it probably has protection though).

Option 2 is do what the good car conversion types do and look at the internal voltages are, a quick search (after I made the mistake of using the DC abbreviation) says you are in luck as well if you fancy a PC power supply conversion http://portablesofdoom.org/archive/index.php?topic=1077

This will take a minor bit of electronics skill (should be no more than it would take to replace the power supply) to pull off but just about any PC power supply will do this one.
http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/powersupply.htm is one guide to converting them and another is available at http://www.instructables.com/id/ATX--%3E-L...ply-Conversion/
As long as the supply works just about any of them will do- it is only this last generation that went truly electrical power hungry.

Option 3 is do a replacement but looking around there are apparently third party universal supplies available.

Ryufushichou

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
As others have said the DC power supply is internal. All is not lost however.

It is not the DC I would be worried about- overloading a transformer is the thing I would be worried about (it probably has protection though).

Option 2 is do what the good car conversion types do and look at the internal voltages are, a quick search (after I made the mistake of using the DC abbreviation) says you are in luck as well if you fancy a PC power supply conversion http://portablesofdoom.org/archive/index.php?topic=1077

This will take a minor bit of electronics skill (should be no more than it would take to replace the power supply) to pull off but just about any PC power supply will do this one.
http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/powersupply.htm is one guide to converting them and another is available at http://www.instructables.com/id/ATX--%3E-L...ply-Conversion/
As long as the supply works just about any of them will do- it is only this last generation that went truly electrical power hungry.

Option 3 is do a replacement but looking around there are apparently third party universal supplies available.
Yea i dont wanna pull the dreamcast apart, but would a 65 watt stepdown work on my dreamcast? or should i be looking for something higher?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tough to say- a device only draws as much current as it presently uses and the 75W is the upper limit accounting for four controllers all with VMU units, internet/modem active, drive whirring away (motors are not all that great for power), transformer losses (usually a sizeable percentage although do note they do not scale up/down well) the internals (CPU, GPU, everything in between) all being pushed to the limit and video output ( http://pinouts.ru/Game/dreamcast_pinout.shtml, note the 12V and 5V lines in there) and part of that is probably something resembling a safety factor*.

*varies between electrical fields and person/company doing stuff but 10% is a good rule of thumb here meaning 67.5W is top end.

While I can not say I have been entirely safe in my activities in this arena I am still not comfortable giving a yes or no without at least doing some tests myself.

edit: I have not watched it but maybe a better source of info http://moddedbybacteria.wordpress.com/mult...mcast-portable/

Ryufushichou

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
oh ok, would a 100watt Step down fry it? or is that just the maximum the converter can hold? cause ive found a 100watt one that isnt to expensive, as i said i dont really want to mod the console in any way, i like my DC the way it is

jinnpan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Console Power Recommendation (Watts, W, VA)
Dreamcast 75 Watts
PS2 100 Watts
Gamecube 120 Watts
Xbox 150 Watts
Xbox 360 300 Watts

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That device changes 12V into 220V AC (and not usually a great AC wave as they are usually more square wave than anything else)- it is called a step up transformer and is designed for cars to run mains equipment. To this end it utterly useless for what you want (indeed it would probably do just the same as plugging it into the mains without anything).
You want a step down transformer to turn mains Australian into mains USA, something like http://www.lightinthebox.com/200-Watt-240V...32-_p67507.html although I am often wary of cheap transformers (if nothing else because they usually hum quite loudly and can get quite hot and on the other hand like we do not trust our devices to cheap batteries .......).

As for postage times it might be different for Australia but I doubt it (Hong Kong not being that far away and all)- most other places are 2 weeks minimum, more like 3 unless you are lucky.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Is it me you're looking for?