Homebrew DS displaying video files on both screens?

EpikJimmer

Screw hater
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
ik, video players exist but thats not the point.

Is it possible to create for example an NDS file, open it and all it does is play one video file on the top screen and another one on the bottom screen, no inputs required, only does that.

Now, I know what you're thinking: "wtf are you talking about" and "what are your motives".
Idk, I thought the ability to play video on both screens, even with low framerates, could be fun plus you could make some pretty funny hoaxes seem real.

How hard is it to code something like this?

anyway yes im stupid.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
ik, video players exist but thats not the point.

Is it possible to create for example an NDS file, open it and all it does is play one video file on the top screen and another one on the bottom screen, no inputs required, only does that.

Now, I know what you're thinking: "wtf are you talking about" and "what are your motives".
Idk, I thought the ability to play video on both screens, even with low framerates, could be fun plus you could make some pretty funny hoaxes seem real.

How hard is it to code something like this?

anyway yes im stupid.
It's indeed possible, as the very first rickroll I ever fell for was disguised as an NDS rom parading around to be an early leak of Pokemon White back in the early DS scene days. Two screens of Rick, dancing in an emulator. Not a clue how it was made though. Sorry.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The DS barely decodes the video it does (moonshell, tunavids, the wavelet one, mobiclip to an extent all featuring fairly heavy optimisation, restrictions and such like) so doubling up (ish, audio would remain the same and was often part of the optimisation/restriction) is going to be a big ask. I don't think it uses the 3d aspects of imagery or troubles limits there (there are only so many tiles/images you can stuff in VRAM) so it would likely come down to resolution or effective resolution, or come down to playback speed (25fps becomes 12 with the screens/engines alternating maybe).

EpikJimmer

Screw hater
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
well that sucks

It's indeed possible, as the very first rickroll I ever fell for was disguised as an NDS rom parading around to be an early leak of Pokemon White back in the early DS scene days. Two screens of Rick, dancing in an emulator. Not a clue how it was made though. Sorry.
i would be interested in acquiring that nds file myself lol thats funny

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The dev has stated that FastVideoDSPlayer could be modified to play videos on both screens at half the frame rate, so it's possible.
I'm thinking the video format would store both video streams and one audio stream (whereas Mobiclip would have two video files for both screens).

grabbingacat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The dev has stated that FastVideoDSPlayer could be modified to play videos on both screens at half the frame rate, so it's possible.
I'm thinking the video format would store both video streams and one audio stream (whereas Mobiclip would have two video files for both screens).
Does such modified app exist?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk