ds scene is dead. im retiring

Deleted member 591971

OP
Trophies
XP
alright guys im fine now. i was a little too exagerated with my post. im here to answer all the posts. WHY THE HELL DO I HAVE TWO PERSONALITIES.
If you need help with something, then just say so. No need to make a rant post.
Because after all, don't give up, and keep trying! You'll get better at it each time you try.
You might make a homebrew as good as TWiLight Menu++ (which I developed, and is recent), WordleDS (another recent one), or any of the good new or old DS(i) homebrew out there, if you don't give up!
this is not a rant post. i made the pa2lib library which i mean i have some experience and i do not want to make the best thing in the world i just want to make decent stuff.
Programming for the DS is not as hard as it looks. There are plenty of guides out there on how to program in C and C++, you'll find it more easier to work with these languages once you get used to them. And there's also this guide too: https://gbatemp.net/download/ds-programming-101-from-zero-to-hero.37350/
Post automatically merged:

Don't give up on hope by making a rant about what you think you've failed at, give it another go.
what the f

okay so it may be harder or easier depending on what library you use, for example developing for the ds is definitely harder than you think with libnds, developing on the ds is easier if you use palib or ds game maker. I personally don't use NFlib but even with nflib it is still hard to implement stuff like animated bgs. I am not a beginner, i am intermediate.

Not only because you can't get what you want, means that a scene is dead.

A scene is not a single person, but a community and the DS one is huge.

If the DS scene is not enough for you, you're free to pass by, but don't come demanding for something you are not willing to provide as well.

Oh and BTW... who are you? Are you a Dev? A cart dumper? A DS scene news provider? A game collectionist that shares knowledge?
yeah i know that a scene is not a single person, it is a community. I am not demanding for something.
I am a developer, and a game collectionist that shares knowledge.

I just wanna take a moment to appreciate that you answered those questions.

I agree about it being a community, though I do wish a lot of sceners pulled their own weight instead of just leeching everything. :-/
yeah sometimes what people make is just useless, or they tried but they just don't put in effort.
Have you checked out the DS Game Maker Community @aerglass ? We're a small but growing community of people using DS Game Maker to make Nintendo DS games and we'd love to have you join and anyone else who's interested in making DS games. That is, if you haven't already joined.

The links to our Discord Server and DSGM Resource website are below:

DS Game Maker Discord Server:
https://discord.gg/uzNM8gGSA4

DS Game Maker Resource Site:
https://digitaldesigndude.github.io/DSGM-Resource-Site/index.html
hi, DigitalDesignDude
yes but no, I have used DS Game Maker and it just made my life worse (it was way too buggy) but I never checked the community itself, letme check. Thanks for the DS Game Maker Resource Site, I actually kinda want to use dsgm again because now i have atleast some documentation so that i can start on scripting, it does seem easier but it was a little buggy, it crashed a lot, maybe it is just me being used to C. Im gonna join that discord server right now.

Also i just want to take a moment to appreciate how respectfully you wrote the reply, sorry is i am kinda mean but i am kinda angry right now with how many people are here that are "vErY eDuCaTeD bOyS".
That could be.

Hope he feels better these days.
yeah i do have depretion, i have been feeling better these days. im feeling fine right now and now i think "why did i post this."
Who the hell are you? Unless you developed some amazing emulators or BS like that, I have pretty much zero respect for you
You should go to school again. Learn modals.
Edit: free speech is a human right.

also for all of those who totally are "eDuCaTeD bOys" go to school again, learn modals, and learn that free speech is a human right.

Kaisaan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The other replies pretty much sum up most of my thoughts (that the ds scene isn't actually dead lol). Besides that, retiring from the scene is ultimately your choice and I hope it's a choice that you feel happy with. I wish the best of luck with your future.

Reactions: Tarmfot and banjo2

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The DS is already 18 years old, I think it's only a given that homebrew development for the platform would slow down now that there are more powerful platforms out there.

Reactions: SylverReZ

mrparrot2

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The main problem I see in this thread were all the Ad hominem attacks towards the OP and no answer to his main criticism: *the DS scene looks dead*. Showing he was wrong by presenting the evidence is the best approach, and everything else follows.

There is no need to attack him. This is a forum about games, not about whitch hunting :D.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i do have depretion, i have been feeling better these days. im feeling fine right now and now i think "why did i post this."

Depression always has it's ups and downs but look at the positive, you have people talking about the DS scene. Good job! Whatever you're working on just don't give up and remember to take breaks so you don't burn out.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright guys im fine now. i was a little too exagerated with my post. im here to answer all the posts. WHY THE HELL DO I HAVE TWO PERSONALITIES.

this is not a rant post. i made the pa2lib library which i mean i have some experience and i do not want to make the best thing in the world i just want to make decent stuff.

what the f

okay so it may be harder or easier depending on what library you use, for example developing for the ds is definitely harder than you think with libnds, developing on the ds is easier if you use palib or ds game maker. I personally don't use NFlib but even with nflib it is still hard to implement stuff like animated bgs. I am not a beginner, i am intermediate.

yeah i know that a scene is not a single person, it is a community. I am not demanding for something.
I am a developer, and a game collectionist that shares knowledge.

I just wanna take a moment to appreciate that you answered those questions.

yeah sometimes what people make is just useless, or they tried but they just don't put in effort.

hi, DigitalDesignDude
yes but no, I have used DS Game Maker and it just made my life worse (it was way too buggy) but I never checked the community itself, letme check. Thanks for the DS Game Maker Resource Site, I actually kinda want to use dsgm again because now i have atleast some documentation so that i can start on scripting, it does seem easier but it was a little buggy, it crashed a lot, maybe it is just me being used to C. Im gonna join that discord server right now.

Also i just want to take a moment to appreciate how respectfully you wrote the reply, sorry is i am kinda mean but i am kinda angry right now with how many people are here that are "vErY eDuCaTeD bOyS".

You should go to school again. Learn modals.
Edit: free speech is a human right.

also for all of those who totally are "eDuCaTeD bOys" go to school again, learn modals, and learn that free speech is a human right.
I suffer from depression as well, filled with anger. I've felt like I wanted to quit several times, but I've always slept on it, then returned the next day. the really bad moments are when I'm really tired, have bouts of racing thoughts, so it's hard for me to sleep sometimes, because I don't want to sleep rather than simply being unable to. that's when I have those bad rants. most people don't attack me when that happens, and the few that do, I just put them on my ignore list instead of getting angry or sad. it saves me from starting an argument. I do feel like I have almost an obsession with the scenes, like I do with pretty anything I've ever been interested in, but it often leaves me very exhausted. too much work, not enough sleep is very bad. like right now, I'm compiling the ps2toolchain, and it's taking a very, very long time with msys. I haven't left my computer since I started the build, even though I want to go downstairs. it feels like a waste of my time if I don't initiate the next build directly after the previous one or worse, it errors at some point without my knowledge, because I'm not at the computer.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hope you get the help you need or at least don't have thoughts that could lead to suicide. There were two Country artists this year alone and it made me realize how horrible it is.

Damn depression and mental illness.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Deleted member 591971

OP
Trophies
XP
Depression always has it's ups and downs but look at the positive, you have people talking about the DS scene. Good job! Whatever you're working on just don't give up and remember to take breaks so you don't burn out.
i like programming, I sometimes take breaks when i feel i need it. but i think what's killing me on the inside is school,my family most of the time does not let me take breaks from stuff like homework. i feel quite like my family is just not helpful at all.
I suffer from depression as well, filled with anger. I've felt like I wanted to quit several times, but I've always slept on it, then returned the next day. the really bad moments are when I'm really tired, have bouts of racing thoughts, so it's hard for me to sleep sometimes, because I don't want to sleep rather than simply being unable to. that's when I have those bad rants. most people don't attack me when that happens, and the few that do, I just put them on my ignore list instead of getting angry or sad. it saves me from starting an argument. I do feel like I have almost an obsession with the scenes, like I do with pretty anything I've ever been interested in, but it often leaves me very exhausted. too much work, not enough sleep is very bad. like right now, I'm compiling the ps2toolchain, and it's taking a very, very long time with msys. I haven't left my computer since I started the build, even though I want to go downstairs. it feels like a waste of my time if I don't initiate the next build directly after the previous one or worse, it errors at some point without my knowledge, because I'm not at the computer.
"not enough sleep is very bad"
my family: i thought sleep hasn't been invented yet.

even if it is the weekend somehow i do not sleep well (Today is sunday, its 10 am, and im tired), i feel very tired through the day. on normal days it is worse but whatever. Schools should care about student's mental health. Sometimes the thoughts about me being terrible are just too strong for me. I'm pretty sure that i am now the most hated guy on the entire ds scene.
Hope you get the help you need or at least don't have thoughts that could lead to suicide. There were two Country artists this year alone and it made me realize how horrible it is.

Damn depression and mental illness.
yeah about that... (i have suicidal thoughts.)

Today a learned that real friends are sometimes better than family.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i like programming, I sometimes take breaks when i feel i need it. but i think what's killing me on the inside is school,my family most of the time does not let me take breaks from stuff like homework. i feel quite like my family is just not helpful at all.

even if it is the weekend somehow i do not sleep well (Today is sunday, its 10 am, and im tired), i feel very tired through the day. on normal days it is worse but whatever. Schools should care about student's mental health. Sometimes the thoughts about me being terrible are just too strong for me. I'm pretty sure that i am now the most hated guy on the entire ds scene.

I feel like the most hated person in the ps3 scene, because I call people out for what they pretend to be. I hate hypocrites more than anything.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

SylverReZ

Certified GBATemp Boomer
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I'm sorry to hear that you've been going through alot, I didn't know that before hand. Like I said, don't give up on the work you do and be positive, I wish you the best and that you get the help you need. :)

I would also like to apologise for my previous statements. I didn't mean to hurt you in any way.

Last edited by SylverReZ,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if I didn't say it well, I can totally empathize. the reason I'm so angry with the scenes is that I've been treated poorly by certain people, which reminds me of my real life, which is largely the same. it hurts even worse when people defend them or show me no loyalty. I mean I've done so much for people, breaking my balls trying to compile anything and everything I can, if people can't do it for whatever reason, as well as providing every ounce of knowledge I have rather than keeping it secret. I guess you could say it makes no real sense. I think most people would feel the same way I do. I mean who doesn't want to be respected, even for something as simple as being a person? it mystifies me that people think I'm irrational, as if they wouldn't feel the same way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UeJincEpEM