E3 2012 Press Conferences

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a world of difference between "the design of the SNES controller would, in a roundabout fashion, influence the controller of the Xbox 360" and "XBox 360 controller = Any old Nintendo controller."

True that is. I worded it badly. That wasn't my point, anyways. Basically, my point was just that it's pointless to call the Wii U Pro Controller a copy of the XBox 360 controller. It's like calling an Audi a copy of another car. I mean they fullfill the same purpose, so why shouldn't they look similiar?

I see what you mean.

I don't know, I think the design between the controllers is close enough that the Wii U Pro Gamepad could be called a copy. That's no insult, though; I agree that the 360's controller is probably the greatest game controller so far, and imitating that design was a smart move on Nintendo's part. The new placement of the BAXY buttons is annoying, but that's about my only real complaint.

Reactions: 1 person

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A computer and a phone look different, but they fulfill the same purpose.

They do not. A phone is ment to be put in your pocket, a computer is ment to be put on your desk or your lap.
Even different phones don't fullfill the same purpose. Smartphones - for example - fullfill different purposes than regular cell phones.
A phone calls people. A computer calls people.
A phone is portable. A computer is portable.
I could go on and on about the similarities.

RPG Hacker

Trophies
Website
rpg-hacker.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The

I wouldn't ever want to play World of Warcraft, program a video game, write a book [...] on my phone, though.
What you said is basically like saying "A car can carry people, a pushcart can carry people. Therefore car = pushcart."

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I wouldn't ever want to play World of Warcraft, program a video game, write a book [...] on my phone, though.
What you said is basically like saying "A car can carry people, a pushcart can carry people. Therefore car = pushcart."
Not really, carrying a car isn't practical, while carrying a computer is. You do realize that there are portable computers other than Laptops, right? One such example is a PDA.

RPG Hacker

Trophies
Website
rpg-hacker.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Not really, carrying a car isn't practical, while carrying a computer is. You do realize that there are portable computers other than Laptops, right? One such example is a PDA.

That sure depends on how you define a computer. In that sense I could even call my calculator a computer. For me a PDA and a computer are two very different things. When I say "computer" I mean either a laptop or a desktop. Since we have so different views on this, anways, it's pointless drag this discussion any further.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That sure depends on how you define a computer. In that sense I could even call my calculator a computer. For me a PDA and a computer are two very different things. When I say "computer" I mean either a laptop or a desktop. Since we have so different views on this, anways, it's pointless drag this discussion any further.
...Isn't the point of an discussion (or rather, an argument) to discuss each others differing views to gain insight that you otherwise would not have gained?

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
There's a world of difference between "the design of the SNES controller would, in a roundabout fashion, influence the controller of the Xbox 360" and "XBox 360 controller = Any old Nintendo controller."

True that is. I worded it badly. That wasn't my point, anyways. Basically, my point was just that it's pointless to call the Wii U Pro Controller a copy of the XBox 360 controller. It's like calling an Audi a copy of another car. I mean they fullfill the same purpose, so why shouldn't they look similiar?

I see what you mean.

I don't know, I think the design between the controllers is close enough that the Wii U Pro Gamepad could be called a copy. That's no insult, though; I agree that the 360's controller is probably the greatest game controller so far, and imitating that design was a smart move on Nintendo's part. The new placement of the BAXY buttons is annoying, but that's about my only real complaint.
I agree with you there. I was just holding my 360 controller and imagining it was this new Wii U controller and my thumbs were defaulting up.... It will take some getting use to.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
What's the hate with the analog placement?
It's not going to feel like a 360 controller with different placement but rather work with the new placement with new grooves to make it more comfortable.
If you can't get used to the slightest change in controllers then you really shouldn't be getting a new console.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shit gonna have to miss the MS one today. :(

While I don't have a 360 and I can watch it afterwards, I'd still have liked to watch it with you guys.

I genuinely hope that MS has something good in store, I want the competition to be rabid, I want all 3 companies doing their up most to keep us interested.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shit gonna have to miss the MS one today. :(

While I don't have a 360 and I can watch it afterwards, I'd still have liked to watch it with you guys.

I genuinely hope that MS has something good in store, I want the competition to be rabid, I want all 3 companies doing their up most to keep us interested.

I have a feeling you'd "miss" the conference if you watched it regardless.

It'll be like... Gears of War 4, more Halo 4 crap, maybe some Kinect crap, and maybe a few of their rumors come true (Internet Explorer 9 for Xbox 360, thought I saw a rumor about game streaming to Windows Phones or something as well).

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wooo, ready for E3 everyone?

PaGsk.jpg

Seeing that Wii U Pro Controller, I really hope they do more for the classic and/or hardcore side of gaming again. They already announced some promising bits, but let's see what the conference will bring.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Looks like the Wii U pro controller is made out of that shitty gloss plastic, same as the Wiimote. That was not a good design choice...
It is going to be a fingerprint magnet (and look crappy as soon as it's used) and be more slippery than it has to be.

S

SixSenseEagle

Thanks for the update i been waiting for this for a while all the new epic games comes out for console on e3 but the main thing ill be focusing on is gta 5 if it comes on the e3 i think that will be the main excitement for people thats just my opinion since the gta game series is so known for its incredible adventurous action gameplay and a little bit of rpg elements from gta sa.

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Looks like the Wii U pro controller is made out of that shitty gloss plastic, same as the Wiimote. That was not a good design choice...
It is going to be a fingerprint magnet (and look crappy as soon as it's used) and be more slippery than it has to be.

You've got a point there. Thinking about it, it would be cool to have a controller with dull and slightly rough surfaces like the the Logitech G500 mouse.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country

You've got a point there. Thinking about it, it would be cool to have a controller with dull and slightly rough surfaces like the the Logitech G500 mouse.
Hopefully the Wii U uses the same kind of plastic coating as the 3DS and not the Wii, had my 3DS since launch day almost and there's still not a single scratch on that thing, fingerprints are very easy to wipe off too.

The back of the controller is matte so I don't see how it would be slippery.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: It is really cool how they managed to do this. Hopefully we get a fully hacked XBox One by next... +1