Elden Ring tops Steam charts for concurrent players, user reviews drops to "mixed" after PC issues

d,lada.png

Elden Ring is the hottest new game release in quite some time, becoming one of the most critically acclaimed games in recent history. You can see how successful the game is, going by the Steam peak players chart, where it shows Elden Ring having peaked today with a massive amount of 764,835 concurrent players just on PC. By comparison, previous From Software games like Dark Souls III and Sekiro have an all-time peak of 129,831 and 124,334 players respectively.

However, despite the critical reception, Elden Ring has sharply dropped from overwhelmingly positive user feedback to mixed, as of the time of writing. This is due to the PC port of the game having issues, frustrating players on the platform. Some posted reviews stating that while they have a powerful gaming PC, the game still stutters and can't hit a solid 60fps. There's a number of workarounds that users have found, including adding EldenRing.exe to high performance in Windows, or disabling the Steam Overlay. Digital Foundry noticed consistent stuttering in the game when in the open world area, and that variable refresh rate monitors help to make the gameplay a little smoother, but don't fully fix the problems.

While our own time with the game has been limited thus far, the stuttering bug is apparent in our review copy on Steam as well. Though Elden Ring is running on a 2080 Super and 3700X CPU, the game will drop down to 57 frames per second on a timely basis. Bandai Namco has not made any statements regarding the PC port's quality as of yet, or whether or not there will be a performance patch.

Update: Bandai Namco has addressed the problems and will be releasing a patch.

:arrow: Source

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minimum requirements are accurate to at least run the game. I'm slightly above the minimum recommended GTX 1060 3GB, with a GTX 1060 8GB and I have to run on low preset in 720p to even hit 50fps in outdoor areas. Have fun on Steam Deck. :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 64bitmodels

Caleck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far I've been playing through with no issues and greatly enjoying it, but I know some people with far better rigs that are dealing with constant stuttering and crashes.

PCs are fuckin weird. Hopefully they fix all the performance issues because the game is really amazing.

Reactions: Briyoda

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I take back what I said. The game has issues. It caused my GPU drivers to crash twice in a 5 minute span. Just from alt-tabbing. It forces my main monitor to a 60hz refresh rate for seemingly no reason? Game needs work. I'm sorry, it needs work.

troa11

Older Than You
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bad reviews for a drop of three fps over sixty?
Such a joke... Human eyes don't even see above 25 fps :tpi:
What eyes do you have?

I can easily tell the difference between 20, 30, 60, or 120 fps and I don't need a framecounter to see it.

I do think negative reviews for stuff a day one release that is going to get patches is kinda silly though.

Reactions: Stone_Wings

Godofcheese

Insane
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
it does. and btw the stuttering isn't minor. its long pauses, not an occasional frame drop.
I have tried applying the plaza crack to my steam release
It works, my stutters are gone
I also deleted all EAC files in the games folder, also disabled EGS Overlay that they insists on running in the background

Reactions: Kioku

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Makes sense a brand-new game made by the Dark Souls guys would top Steam's concurrent-players charts; no surprise there.

Still not GotY material, though.
Lmao, nothing else released so far this year is even in the same league. It's like Dunkey said in his latest video: Horizon Zero Dawn will always just be that game that released a few days before BotW, and now Forbidden West will always just be that game that released a few days before Elden Ring.

Straight up: I'd rather play Elden Ring at 10 FPS than Skyrim at 144 FPS. Performance issues can always be fixed, what matters in the long run is that the game has one of the most solid foundations of all time.

Reactions: felix.200

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Came back to PC gaming for elden ring. Glad I've moved on to consoles tho haha. It's working okay enough, there's not like any crazy cyberpunk tier glitches either. It's just a tiny bug in performance, at least for me. Not acceptable and gamers should want better but this is leagues above the quality of other major releases from the past year.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Came back to PC gaming for elden ring. Glad I've moved on to consoles tho haha. It's working okay enough, there's not like any crazy cyberpunk tier glitches either. It's just a tiny bug in performance, at least for me. Not acceptable and gamers should want better but this is leagues above the quality of other major releases from the past year.
Apparently the stutters exist in the PS5 version too, but they're a lot shorter in duration and therefore less noticeable. It's not too surprising given that PS5 is more or less an AMD-powered gaming PC itself.

I'll know for sure soon enough, since I ordered a PS5 copy too.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Apparently the stutters exist in the PS5 version too, but they're a lot shorter in duration and therefore less noticeable. It's not too surprising given that PS5 is more or less an AMD-powered gaming PC itself.

It probably doesn't help that I have steams big fps counter in the corner.

It's very odd how consistent it is. I lose either 3 or 5 frames ever 15 seconds, every time. More willing to wait for a patch and deal with it than play tech support disabling all sorts of who knows what though.

Reactions: felix.200 and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
More willing to wait for a patch and deal with it than play tech support disabling all sorts of who knows what though.
Yeah people have already tried virtually every workaround they can think of, and they're not doing much.

Seems to be forgotten that Dark Souls 3 had a pretty rough launch too. Couple weeks later they patched all the major performance issues, and just kept on optimizing it even further from there. So I'm not too worried about it.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So 57 fps?

Is that still called stuttering?

If so, I want a stuttering capable PC, please.

This is not as bad as the Cyberpunk fiasco.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP

For PS5 I have the curiosity if the physical version is often "requested", like the PC DRM do their checks, and if it's related with the frame drops.

Anyway, I really feel that this problem is not something to worry about. It is not a cyberpunk situation.

Reactions: Xzi

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Lmao, nothing else released so far this year is even in the same league.
You do realise it's still just the second month? Sure, it's almost over, but the third month hasn't arrived yet - there's still plenty of time for another, far more enjoyable game (coughXenobladecough) to come out and blow us away.
Calling a game, any game, GotY this early is ludicrous.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So is the game good? How's the story? Sorry about the rough launch. Wonder if the reviewers who rated 10/10 were given a different products.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Minimum requirements are accurate to at least run the game. I'm slightly above the minimum recommended GTX 1060 3GB, with a GTX 1060 8GB and I have to run on low preset in 720p to even hit 50fps in outdoor areas. Have fun on Steam Deck. :rofl:
There is no such thing as GTX 1060 8GB
1060 has only 2 models, 3GB and 6GB

DarknessPlay3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So 57 fps?

Is that still called stuttering?

If so, I want a stuttering capable PC, please.

This is not as bad as the Cyberpunk fiasco.
What most people aren't seeing is the frame time go to shit with it. Odd multiples like what comes with slightly off 60 can stutter/tear like fucking crazy.

Given a large number of monitors have a set refresh rate multiple, (60/90/120/144) it goes out of sync and suddenly looks terrible.

Reactions: felix.200

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What most people aren't seeing is the frame time go to shit with it. Odd multiples like what comes with slightly off 60 can stutter/tear like fucking crazy.

Given a large number of monitors have a set refresh rate multiple, (60/90/120/144) it goes out of sync and suddenly looks terrible.

From Software only wanted to make a quick buck, optimizing games be damned, clearly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: One gram of felony? +1