Hacking Faceplate Circuit Board as Standalone USB Dongle.

Gords78

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I feel i remember seeing something like this before. Turning the front circuit board with the controller radio on into a hacky equivalent of the Xbox usb dongle used for PCs. Was i right?

Im i need of a dongle atm and am sure i have a few xbox's in the spares bin.

Thanks!

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Looking around, the 360 S used what looks like USB whilst the One uses a different connector.

Maybe it's possible to hack something but I would just check which controller you have a perhaps look at the official PC adapter or BT.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For the older 360 there was, not paid much attention to what goes for the xbone, or slim/lite variations of the 360. Obviously the original xbox is wired, and its USB adapter consists of "buy USB extension cable, get xbox breakaway controller bit, solder like coloured wires to like coloured wires leaving the yellow intact" (leave the USB female if you want as you can use a select handful of small and probably hard to come by USB drives on your homebrew xbox in that case to transfer files around at USB1.1 speed -- basically just use it for save games and songs).

"Maybe it's possible to hack something but I would just check which controller you have a perhaps look at the official PC adapter or BT."
The official adapters are both rare as rocking horse shit and generally considered awful (presumably why they did not stick around). They also did not use bluetooth as much as a proprietary radio signal which is why we are in this dilemma.

Personally I wire everything I can but https://www.instructables.com/DIY-Xbox-Controller-Receiver-for-PC/ seems reasonable if you have some old RRoD things you want to make some use of.
https://techocd.blogspot.com/2014/01/xbox-360-wireless-controller-to-pc-via.html is a bit older and more complicated but has some choice info.

Reactions: paulttt

paulttt

Trophies
XP
Country
For the older 360 there was, not paid much attention to what goes for the xbone, or slim/lite variations of the 360. Obviously the original xbox is wired, and its USB adapter consists of "buy USB extension cable, get xbox breakaway controller bit, solder like coloured wires to like coloured wires leaving the yellow intact" (leave the USB female if you want as you can use a select handful of small and probably hard to come by USB drives on your homebrew xbox in that case to transfer files around at USB1.1 speed -- basically just use it for save games and songs).

"Maybe it's possible to hack something but I would just check which controller you have a perhaps look at the official PC adapter or BT."
The official adapters are both rare as rocking horse shit and generally considered awful (presumably why they did not stick around). They also did not use bluetooth as much as a proprietary radio signal which is why we are in this dilemma.

Personally I wire everything I can but https://www.instructables.com/DIY-Xbox-Controller-Receiver-for-PC/ seems reasonable if you have some old RRoD things you want to make some use of.
https://techocd.blogspot.com/2014/01/xbox-360-wireless-controller-to-pc-via.html is a bit older and more complicated but has some choice info.

The first link you posted is what I did and still use to this day. Works exceptionally well, and notice no issues with PC gaming as a result.

Gords78

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Was wanting to use my chatpad for Elite Dangerous on PC via but looks like ill have to stop being tight and dig in my pockets for a proper dongle :lol:

Thanks fr the replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And real f ing high! But not the height. We got legal recreation now, so yea...
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    you go bro
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i know, i know, i'm late
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.