Hacking Finally! No more WBFS drive, partition and managers

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to access it from the terminal or whatever it is you OSX people call the command line.

Or you could just drag an ISO into it if it behaves like the Windows version does.

madeirabhoy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
FenrirWolf said:
You need to access it from the terminal or whatever it is you OSX people call the command line.

Or you could just drag an ISO into it if it behaves like the Windows version does.

its a terminal file, so normally you would just double click on it and it opens in terminal and you can type any commands into it. I have other terminal apps that work fine this way. However this file writes the info in the box and then logs out, meaning you cant type anything into it. Similarly dragging an iso onto the open window doesnt do anything, whereas if the terminal window was active it would normally select it. Also its impossible to drag an iso onto the icon.

Got a horrible feeling its intel only

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
D34DL1N3R said:
WiiPower,

Why the need to maintain EVERYthing at 1:1? I guess I don't see your issue if you were unable to convert them back to 1:1 isos because they work just the same either way.

Some examples:
- You have a friend with modchip and he does not want to mess with homebrew at all (or in the future, maybe can't even if he wanted to)
- On the Wii 2 there might be some way to run Wii games. Most likely only 1:1 will work on that + only .iso would be supported. (just guessing)
- You are like me and want a nice and clean solution
- A future update might kill somehow the possibility of using not 1:1 copies
- .iso is THE format to do anything with a game, no matter if it's burning or getting it on a wbfs partition

yeah yeah, basically it's only that 1:1 is just the clean way to do stuff in my eyes

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
0M39A said:
SifJar said:
D34DL1N3R said:
piracy talk is not allowed here

HA. Thats a good one.

obvioustroll.jpg

wink.gif

You usage of the term "troll" in this instance is both inapplicable and incorrect. If I were to reply to your comment using the same image however, it would be correct.
wink.gif

AllWiidUp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
D34DL1N3R said:
3. if i already have a wbfs drive with 150 games on it, what are the advantages of changing?

For one, if you delete a game other than the last one installed on a wbfs partition you lose that space unless you move them all to another drive and then back again. Whereas using fat32 you can simply defrag the partition, consolidate free space, etc,...

4. will sites now start having files as .wbfs so we wont have to convert them?

piracy talk is not allowed here

Where did you get this information? I've noticed this whole thread is dependent on misinformation, by people who don't know.

before the fix that went into 1.4 or was it 1.5 ( in the loader only ) you only lost a block on delete, unless you used the one mod, which marked it deleted and didn't reclaim space until later. wbfs is enitrely better than fat, unless you are unable to use a wbfs manager or the loader itself ( as in not a pirate ).

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
madeirabhoy said:
its logged out automatically so i cant use any commands. Anyone else tried it? Could it be because im on a ppc mac?

thanks anyone and again apologies and thanks fenrirwolf

i got the same thing. i am also on a ppc right now.

dun4cheap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if the files created with inteligent wbfs tool the ciso, are they actually wbfs files. The intelligent wbfs tool is using hermes wbfs exe file to create them. Any thoughts?

TeenTin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
WiiPower said:
D34DL1N3R said:
WiiPower,

Why the need to maintain EVERYthing at 1:1? I guess I don't see your issue if you were unable to convert them back to 1:1 isos because they work just the same either way.

Some examples:
- You have a friend with modchip and he does not want to mess with homebrew at all (or in the future, maybe can't even if he wanted to)
- On the Wii 2 there might be some way to run Wii games. Most likely only 1:1 will work on that + only .iso would be supported. (just guessing)
- You are like me and want a nice and clean solution
- A future update might kill somehow the possibility of using not 1:1 copies
- .iso is THE format to do anything with a game, no matter if it's burning or getting it on a wbfs partition

yeah yeah, basically it's only that 1:1 is just the clean way to do stuff in my eyes

Totally agree ! I am on your side.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah right advancement. In case anyone here has forgotten let me remind you The reason behind the WBFS filesystem is that both FAT32 and NTFS are actually quite a bit slower than the WBFS filesystem. They both have there bugs and flaws and so does WBFS........ Frankly the only real fail of WBFS is that no one has developed a functional driver to support it with any operating system. Last time I checked the WBFS is quite reliable for it's actual purpose. Sure the Managers for it on windows and such are quite unreliable but the USB loader works just great with it.

Wiiwu

OP
Trophies
Website
mmm4wii.posterous.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Your points about speed maybe true, but thats in the past. WBFS as a file system was created as the original authors were not able to address those issues.

Now development has advanced and has changed for the better. Storing games on FAT and playing off FAT is not slow and some have reported its even faster than before.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
AllWiidUp said:
before the fix that went into 1.4 or was it 1.5 ( in the loader only ) you only lost a block on delete, unless you used the one mod, which marked it deleted and didn't reclaim space until later. wbfs is enitrely better than fat, unless you are unable to use a wbfs manager or the loader itself ( as in not a pirate ).
Actually, I feel it's a good thing since it's more idiot proof. I have a friend, for example (not that she's an idiot mind you) who saw my setup where I've ripped all the games I own to a hard drive to play them, and of course she thought that was pretty cool. She wants to do it with her games, so I think I'll suggest the WBFS in Fat32 for her since then she doesn't have to worry about partitions or anything. Some people aren't as computer savvy as others. This way is better in that respect.

Wiiwu

OP
Trophies
Website
mmm4wii.posterous.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Converting .iso to .wbfs and back to .iso preserves the real data. So the idea of 1:1 copy of games for all intent and purpose holds true here.

I have used the tool wbfs_file to convert a .iso to .wbfs and this same .wbfs back to .iso, and burnt it to a disc. It works on a Wii with a mod-chip, WiiScrubber and truchasigner recognized it as a valid Wii disc. So this is practically a non-issue.

In fact, with this new development, I'll be deleting my iso files after converting them to .wbfs files.

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Can I split my existing WBFS drive into a WBFS partition and a FAT32 partition? That way I could have roughly 300GB on each partition and migrate all the games to FAT32.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. You can't really manipulate a WBFS partition in any way without corrupting the info on it. That's one of the reasons there's a push to use FAT32 in the first place. WBFS has been doing its job fine for me, but I always felt like it was a ticking bomb waiting to go off.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Knocks said:
Can I split my existing WBFS drive into a WBFS partition and a FAT32 partition? That way I could have roughly 300GB on each partition and migrate all the games to FAT32.
While you can't do that, you can use wbfs_file to extract all the files on the WBFS to .wbfs files on your PC (the destination does not need to be FAT32), reformat the drive to fully FAT32 and then just copy the files from the PC to the drive using your OS. If your PC does not have enough space, then any other drive (except for those formatted to WBFS) can be used as the temporary storage.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the OP should start a poll
to see FAT32 or WBFS

this fat32 seems promising
but for now theres only that 1 program that can convert .iso to .wbfs? [besides using CFG loader to rip games]

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
xzxero said:
to see FAT32 or WBFS

but for now theres only that 1 program that can convert .iso to .wbfs? [besides using CFG loader to rip games]
There's two. Wiimm has already integrated support for .wbfs files into his tool (wwt).

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
xzxero said:
to see FAT32 or WBFS

There's two. Wiimm has already integrated support for .wbfs files into his tool (wwt).
so theres the CFG USB loader one for windows, mac, and linux?

and wiimm's for windows and linux?

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xzxero said:
to see FAT32 or WBFS

I have to say that the FAT32 ability is fantastic. I have been using it for weeks now with zero issues. WBFS is gone in my book. I have already deleted all of the managers I used to use. No use for them now. A standard file system is just the way to go, period.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Stepcroc, I'm stuck.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Those are monitor lizards you dunce.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I'm funny. lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eggs and roasted potatoes came out good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching the first omen and so far it's not the priest doing the scaring
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Shouldn't the kid be the scary one?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The second omen: the chior boy gets his revenge
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Reverse exorcist: it's when you hire a demon to remove the priest out of a small child.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hire Kendrick Drake possessed a minor again
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, I'd run away from his singing too.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wonder if Drakes still allowed to use his Instagram
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds like everyone has some great imaginary friends
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Yeah, that was insane.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Don't know what Drake was even thinking.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What every rich scumbag thinks that they can put their dick on anything and get away with it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I better hide my silicone Tifa doll
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What did Drake do, exactly? I don't follow celeb gossip.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Supposed accusations that Drake groomed a minor.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Allegedly groomed a 17 year old Instagram model or something along those lines
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Yep, something like that.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1MJtV0UPI8