Hacking Flash Cart Link/Multiplayer Compatibility

Tane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to play with two EZ Flash ODE's and see how nice the multiplayer/link works between the two. Tried Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland and it worked a treat.

So my followup question to this is... can you do multiplayer/link/trading between different Flash Carts? Say an Everdrive and an EZ Flash? Or is the emulation different enough between the two that it won't work?

Apologies for the newbie question - I'm new to flash carts! Trying to learn!

Thanks

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Flash carts as a rule don't emulate things, they function as an original cart would give or take what they do for saves (which does not matter for normal link stuff, for GBA-GC link or GBA-DS link things that is a different matter).

Now there have been flash carts in the past that with various combinations of patches (soft reset, sleep, save,...) have meant link play is harder because of timings issues (the link cable being mightily sensitive here) and might have wanted extra patches (I had some around here for the EZ4 using patches derived from the EZ2).

As a general principle though then should be fine, certainly would not be in any way surprised to hear any combination of flash carts and real games played link play all night long and only fell over when someone tugged on a cable and unplugged their GBA. The trouble will come with various combinations of patches and what you might need to do to mitigate them on a given flash cart.
At the same time while I will confidently say anything that is not a supercard or supercard clone or some of the very first era of GBA flash carts will be able to play just about any game that fits ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/buying-a-gba-flash-cart-in-2013.341203/page-18#post-4756995 being the list of trouble games and workarounds) then I can't be as confident on link play working out of the box or with minimal hassle.

Reactions: Tane

Tane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flash carts as a rule don't emulate things, they function as an original cart would give or take what they do for saves (which does not matter for normal link stuff, for GBA-GC link or GBA-DS link things that is a different matter).

Oh wow OK! I was thinking there was some emulation happening for GBA! This is excellent. Thank you for the information. Very very helpful. So when I read about the "Goomba" emulator, are we just talking about GB/GBC/NES stuff on a GBA?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah anything that is not GBA is emulation. While the GBA, GB player and SP do feature GBC backwards compatibility it is hardware based* and only a couple of flash carts with an even more rare bridge device can use that. Everything else playing GB/GBC is on a GBA cart (certainly anything modern) is using emulation. Obviously anything else is emulation as there is no hardware at all for that.

*if you look in the GBA slot you will see a little black slider. This is what triggers it, if you ever turn on your GBA and see it squished screen like it is booting a GB/GBC game but in fact is a GBA cart then check that has not got stuck somehow.

Tane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK that's what I figured. Omega's are emulating GB/GBC games. But then something like the EZ Flash Jr is not doing emulation for GB/GBC games on the DMG and CGB.

*if you look in the GBA slot you will see a little black slider. This is what triggers it, if you ever turn on your GBA and see it squished screen like it is booting a GB/GBC game but in fact is a GBA cart then check that has not got stuck somehow.

Now that is fascinating about the black slider, I had no idea. Learn something new everyday... thank you for that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing Killer Clowns from Outer Space all day, is pretty fun. Basically Friday 13th but with clowns. One of my favorite b rated movies from way back.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, is it a game or a movie? get decided!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its a game based off the old movie
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's a down scene with slow drums
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh cool that Bodycam games out
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ratings for it are calling it bad, but it looks cool. Damn 48/100 rating.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    looks are deceiving
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea people always down vote games anymore seems like, good or bad, bunch of haters
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, review bombing?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah seems like people hate on original ideas anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh were sorry our small dev team can't shit out a cod clone every 6 months
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly positive on steam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Eew, you use steam, I'm down voting you cause you not using or playing what I like.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yes and epic and gog, sleep with me
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gay
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Homophobic
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, whats wrong with steam?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nothing, I was just teasing
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He's a big tease trying to take my booty
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No, I don't wanna make ancientboi mad, I know you two already have a thing going
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He divorced me once I threatened him with the fbi
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2,
    he also fucked uremum despite being gay
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah so did you and I want back child support pay enjoy the lawsuits
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, im virgin
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, im virgin