Feels Good Man

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo seems serious about the bricking part of your system according to this warning screen before an update:

fbvs6b.jpg

33dv63c.jpg

Also, it's reported that when you put an Acekard and whatnot into the 3DS, it'll show up as "Acekard" and not the Alex Rider/Danny Phantom cart(still needs confirmation though)

Z

Zorua

You needn't worry. Some guy posted a while ago that he updated his 3DS and his EZFlash Vi worked on it even after the update.

Feels Good Man

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Zorua said:
You needn't worry. Some guy posted a while ago that he updated his 3DS and his EZFlash Vi worked on it even after the update.

Yeah, but that's missing the point. It'll show as "Acekard" apparently and according to that warning, if the rumour and that warning is true, Nintendo can brick your DS for using flashcarts

D

Deleted User

It
Is
Illegal
For
Them
To
Destroy
Your
Product

Jesus these words alone need to be stickied. Just because you do illegal things doesn't mean Nintendo are allowed to in response. They're not the law, they're not allowed to carry out the "punishment" of people who are committing crimes (and those who are just using homebrew!)

doodads

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm so surprised that people can't seem to understand that Nintendo positively will not be bricking consoles. I guess they achieved what they wanted with the scare tactics though.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Of course Nintendo doesn't plan to brick your system purposefully. That doesn't mean that unauthorized installed software, or cards for that matter, are 100% safe. Nintendo is not responsible for what may happen to your system should such modifications or hardware used interfere with their "normal" procedures for updating the system. They can't always work around them, so their best strategy is to remove them first, then update. Removal may not always work if the installation is that deeply integrated, but even in that case, Nintendo is still not responsible should something go wrong.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DiscostewSM said:
Of course Nintendo doesn't plan to brick your system purposefully. That doesn't mean that unauthorized installed software, or cards for that matter, are 100% safe. Nintendo is not responsible for what may happen to your system should such modifications or hardware used interfere with their "normal" procedures for updating the system. They can't always work around them, so their best strategy is to remove them first, then update. Removal may not always work if the installation is that deeply integrated, but even in that case, Nintendo is still not responsible should something go wrong.

Except, at least with the current DSi flashcarts we have now, there is no possibility of a flashcard bricking your system because it doesn't modify anything on the 3DS. So this warning is pointless.

Oceanborn712

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, there actually is a chance flashcards could damage your device due to bad QA. I remember the M3 Real (or was it the M3i Zero?) blowing out fuses in people's DS pretty regularly.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oceanborn712 said:
Well, there actually is a chance flashcards could damage your device due to bad QA. I remember the M3 Real (or was it the M3i Zero?) blowing out fuses in people's DS pretty regularly.
Hmmm, your thinking about the N5 that did that

D

Deleted_171835

Oceanborn712 said:
I remember the M3 Real (or was it the M3i Zero?) blowing out fuses in people's DS pretty regularly.
The N5 has blown fuses on the DS. I'm assuming it can do the same on the 3DS.

Oceanborn712

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No, definately was an M3 device. Was pretty active in a German board back then, but only cared for threads for cards I owned and it definately wasn't the (original) R4, SuperCard DSONEi, Acekard 2i or CylcoDS Evolution (and I actually bought the M3 Real to help out the community so I was extra active in there).

D

Deleted User

The N5 was a rubbish cart, though. Stuff like Acekard 2is and stuff are well made, so chances of them bricking or blowing a fuse in the system are so low, it's literally negligable.

D

Deleted_171835

Oceanborn712 said:
No, definately was an M3 device. Was pretty active in a German board back then, but only cared for threads for cards I owned and it definately wasn't the (original) R4, SuperCard DSONEi, Acekard 2i or CylcoDS Evolution (and I actually bought the M3 Real to help out the community so I was extra active in there).
AFAIK, the M3 Real has blown fuses on some DS Lite's.

It seems relatively uncommon, though as I rarely hear about that happening.

darkriku2000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something I think people don't get is, as some have said, Nintendo has NO RIGHT to brick or otherwise damage your system IN ANY WAY.

The warning they put is basically saying that they aren't responsible for any damage that YOU cause to your system by using 3rd party hardware and software.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Theoretically, any electronic component could brick any other one. I could plug a flashdrive into my computer and have the whole thing short out. Is this very likely? No. Granted, if you buy crap stuff like the N5 back in the day, you're just asking for trouble.

redsmas

Trophies
XP
Country
Many products for years have been stating that "illegal" and "unofficial" software/hardware will damage your system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0D1MMB6S5/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=AOP0CH6UTUPHT&psc=1