Homebrew For GBARunner2 users: Fire Emblem no-autosave patches

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
As with the passing years and the advancing age it is more and more difficult for me to play my favorite gba games (FE series, surely) on DS' s small screen via slot2, unfortunately I have to resign myself to playing them on my DSi XL via emulator (hypervisor, as it is said).

Many of you will have noticed that Fire Emblem roms, used with GBARunner2, have a lot of flaws and hassles, namely audio crackling and several graphic glitches, making them, if not unplayable, very annoying.
This is due, as known, to the continuous autosaving function that these games particularly possess.

Well, for those interested, here are three .ips patches for the the aforementioned games that disable in-battle autosave making them more playable and enjoyable.

I have personally tested them, although briefly (first stage for each game), on GBARunner2/YSMenu/R4gold/DSi XL and they seem to work well, being able to save at the beginning of each chapter, in the preparation menu, and during gameplay via suspend function.

I have found very few sound or graphic problem so far (e.g. black line and screeching sound only during chapter start).
All in-battle/on-map issues should be solved. I wait for others to test them more thoroughly. Reactions and comments are encouraged and welcomed.

P.S. I take this opportunity to point out that FE6(j), with the new eng translation patch (Gringe, 2020) applied, does not work with GBARunner2 (black screen), while it works well with the old one (Dark Twilkitri, 2006).

As usual, sorry for my clumsy and broken english.

Attachments

• fe patches.zip
    458 bytes · Views: 192
Last edited by Nikokaro,

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After testing the no-autosave patches on a DSi XL, I have some additional info that may help other users.

Working with GBARunner2 via TWiLight Menu++ (v20.0.1):

- Fire Emblem VI - Fuuin no Tsurugi (Japan) w/ v1.1.2 English patch (Gringe)
- Fire Emblem VII - The Blazing Blade
- Fire Emblem VIII - The Sacred Stones

Working with GBARunner2 Hicode Build via TWiLight Menu++:

- All 8 hacks I've tested made it to the first map without issue

Last edited by LumInvader,
Reactions: Nikokaro

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks for your contribution :), but I had already talked about these things in various posts in the thread dedicated to GBARunner2 (on this page and following):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/gbarunner2.451970/page-164

However, you did well to repeat them here as well. :wink:

Reactions: LumInvader

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your contribution :), but I had already talked about these things in various posts in the thread dedicated to GBARunner2 (on this page and following):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/gbarunner2.451970/page-164

However, you did well to repeat them here as well. :wink:
I'm glad you got the translation & hacks working. It's still important to update this thread since it's the one dedicated to your patches and not everyone has time to sift through all 170 pages in the other thread. Also, if someone searches for the word "Tsurugi," it's now much easier to discover that the most recent 'Fire Emblem VI (J)' translation works with your no-autosave patch.

Reactions: Nikokaro

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Originally I created these patches mainly to be able to play the numerous FE Hacks (available on FEUniverse) with GBARunner2, whose autosave function introduced graphical (black lines) and sound (creaking) problems. These Hacks are always based on the american version, or more rarely, on the japanese one, so I considered only these. However today I have other interests (and less time available). If someone else has time, or desire, to create some for the european version, he has my approval and my sympathy. ;)

Edit: Whoever preceded me deleted his post (and I don't understand the reason :unsure:), of which this was a reply.

Last edited by Nikokaro,

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey guys, with the help of a FEUniverse user, I created two ips patches for F.E.7 and F.E.8 Japanese version, to be used specifically for three famous japanese hacks that have been available in english translation for some time now:
- Queen's Sword,
- Two Princesses,
- Sword of Heaven and Earth.
For now I've only tested the last title, and it works perfectly: by deactivating the autosave function, the annoying black lines and relative screeching are absent. These patches will also be usable if and when other translations for those japanese hacks will become available in the future.
Enjoy yourselves. With love from yours truly. 😉

Attachments

• FE7j_FE8j_patches.zip
    406 bytes · Views: 19

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: :wub: