Misc For those that want (but dont have) wifi and dont have a router

Azrunex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found these on ebay a week ago and bought one, it plugs into the usb of your computer and converts your internet into wifi for your nds and wii and stuff

wifilink2hu4.jpg

i got mine for 19 bucks with shipping included.
pretty good buy.

well thats all, just wanted to share with the ppls.

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Azrunex said:
I found these on ebay a week ago and bought one, it plugs into the usb of your computer and converts your internet into wifi for your nds and wii and stuff

wifilink2hu4.jpg

i got mine for 19 bucks with shipping included.
pretty good buy.

well thats all, just wanted to share with the ppls.

Would it be possible to include a link to what you are showing us? A picture is useless since you can't search by using pictures.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
the real question when buying these kinds of things is will they support wifi in homebrew?

2dere

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Does that actually count as an answer? We're left no more enlightened to the truth that way. This wifi max is the only 'other' DS dongle option I've come across and I've never heard anyone recommend them before. Not to say they're horrible, as that would be baseless. But more interested to hear from someone who has used them as if I hear they're easy to use and could support homebrew I might pick one up for my younger cousin.

abort_user

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the real important thing you should be telling people is that whatever they buy it MUST be WEP encrypted. otherwise it wont work with the DS. it sucks cause my router is WPA.

Rockfang

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
abort_user said:
the real important thing you should be telling people is that whatever they buy it MUST be WEP encrypted. otherwise it wont work with the DS. it sucks cause my router is WPA.

My router (Linksys WRT300N) does both WPA and WEP. I assumed that all big name routers that are capable of WPA do WEP as well. I could be wrong though.

Cheater388

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing with usb anything is that you have to have your computer turned on in order to use it (or so I thought). I personally do not want to waste power and have my power-consuming computer on when I want to use my DS's wifi capability. That is why I have a router.

Curley5959

CCC Member!
Trophies
Website
www.holidaygamerz.zoomshare.com
XP
Country
I bought one of those wifi things off ebay for 50 bucks, It broke so I bought a Nintendo certified one off ebay, and it broke to.. 120 bucks out of my 350 bucks, that was all my money that I had at that time.. DONT BUY THESE THINGS.. GET A LINKSYS ROUTER INSTEAD.. Trust Me!

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have an OFFICIAL NINTENDO wifi usb adapter it cost me £20 pre owned in Gamestation in the uk and been using it for well over a year and half with no issues at all
smile.gif

Altho it DOES get HOT so I always unplug it after use
smile.gif

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Cheater388 said:
The thing with usb anything is that you have to have your computer turned on in order to use it (or so I thought). I personally do not want to waste power and have my power-consuming computer on when I want to use my DS's wifi capability. That is why I have a router.
wat...? computers barely use any electricity, stop whining.

and this whole usb thing is extremely old, but it sounds like most of u just heard of it now :S

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Curley5959 said:
I bought one of those wifi things off ebay for 50 bucks, It broke so I bought a Nintendo certified one off ebay, and it broke to.. 120 bucks out of my 350 bucks, that was all my money that I had at that time.. DONT BUY THESE THINGS.. GET A LINKSYS ROUTER INSTEAD.. Trust Me!
So if you were running across the middle of the street without looking where you were going and got hit by a car, the lesson you would take from it is that you shouldn't ever cross streets? How the hell does that work?

Personally, I'd say the problem is you're buying technology on ebay, and somehow ending up surprised when it breaks. Meanwhile, those of us that buy things from stores still have them working even several years later, like my own Nintendo wifi adapter. Plus you get something called a warranty.

Also, you're tellling us that you paid seventy dollars for a ten dollar adapter? Sounds like there's a lot more things wrong with you than some broken wifi devices.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
da_head said:
Cheater388 said:
wat...? computers barely use any electricity, stop whining.

and this whole usb thing is extremely old, but it sounds like most of u just heard of it now :S

smile.gif
something tells me your computer sucks if it uses no power.

My system most definitely uses power, not that I need to care, I don't pay for the power here, the rent is inclusive.
And my son's set up generates no small power usage too.

But only a green nut or someone actually paying for the power usually cares.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I recall a story on /. awhile back that a home PC actually uses relatively little power compared to most other household appliances (think water heater, dishwasher, etc). Do you also disconnect those whenever not in immediate use?

I pay my own energy bill, and I still leave my PC on nearly all the time. The cost is pretty minimal, I pay nearly the same amount just having the service even if I'm gone on vacation all month as I do when I'm here and actively running things. I'm the type to always turn off lights when I'm not in the room, but there's just not any really good reason _not_ to leave the PC running. If I'm not here it can still be running bittorrent or something.

And here's a fun fact for you: even if the PC is off, it still consumes some amount of power unless you've turned it off at the power supply. Even when my PC is 'off', I can still plug a USB device and receive power to it.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Panzer Tacticer said:
smile.gif
something tells me your computer sucks if it uses no power.

My system most definitely uses power, not that I need to care, I don't pay for the power here, the rent is inclusive.
And my son's set up generates no small power usage too.

But only a green nut or someone actually paying for the power usually cares.

yeah i was referring to the cost being minimal
sleep.gif

compared to tv's and fridges, comps barely use any electricity.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    the author has the final aproval
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hunter x hunter
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    he has not allowed anyone to continue it for him for example
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, theres a dragon ball af mod for budokai 3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Canada: America's Russia