Hardware Free-Clip not reading backups?!

Framework43

I'm International
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I just installed my Free-Clip to my wii(has yaosm 3.2) and I booted an original from my region to configure it.Then, I put a backup in my wii and it said the disk could not be recognized.All my backups don't work, any help please?

My wii is a D2B.

Foxle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like it accidentally popped off. I'd open your Wii up and make sure the connection is right and that backups can be read before closing it.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disclaimer: I'm not trying to be an ass or call you a noob, but as I don't know your level of knowledge certain things have to be asked. I am genuinely trying to help.

You did program the Free Clip and it did verify? It doesn't come pre-programmed from any vendor I've seen. You mention it has YOASM 3.2 but you didn't say how YOASM got on there.

Make sure your Free Clip isn't a fake. Compare yours to the "fake vs real" pics on the Wii Clip site.

You don't have cut chip pins do you? The Free Clip won't work w/ cut pins.

Check your install... It should have taken a little (I stress LITTLE) bit of force to get it on properly and it should have clicked as the retainers engaged once it was where it was supposed to be. Also, orientation is correct, etc?

Now on to the more likely problem... Your burns are bad and/or bad media. I've installed a handful of these into my and various people's Wii's, and since they're always back ordered on Deal Extreme and take as much as 2 months to arrive, people start downloading and burning games in anticipation of their new chip (myself included) before the chip is actually installed and find that a good portion (and in one case all) of what they burned doesn't work despite the fact that the burn verified in their favorite burn program.... Your burns did verify, yes?

I personally had around half a 50 cake pack of Maxell discs (forgive me, they were dirt cheap and work fine on my soft-modded PS2) and burned the bulk of them, most of which ended up as not working when plugged into the Wii. After switching to some better discs (Verbatim for example) all parties involved found far better results.

The only good news is that pretty much every one of those coasters we had, when ripped from said coaster and re-burned to better media worked just fine. So, if you've already deleted the iso's you probably won't have to download them again.

Framework43

I'm International
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, Thank you for the great info =D

I programmed the Free-Clip.I burned it on Memorex DVD+Rs.I checked if my clip was real,It is, in fact I bought it at DealExtreme. MY D2B doesn't have any cut legs.I verified my backups(IMGBURN).It did make a tiny click sound when putting it on, with little stress.It must be my media then. Not one burn worked, I wrote at 4x speed, and tried 2x speed, nothing worked.Originals do work, so that means its ok, right?One of the disks it gave me this error when trying to read it:

tv.jpg

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't find DVD + or - R's to offer any different results, but YMMV.

I also find adjusting burn speed isn't as helpful as one might think. Burning at 2x doesn't always mean a more reliable burn then burning at 8x, and in many cases ends in worse results. W/ the same media it seems to depend on the particular machine/drive's sweet spot. I find it best on my machine and burner that 12x produces the most reliable copies, but my friend finds better results at 8x... 16x usually burns coasters on for any of the people that are using the chips I've installed, though.

Your error message says to me that your chip is certainly doing "something" and suggests that your programming and install are likely OK... But I can't be sure w/ out the Wii here and me inserting a burn I know to be working to be sure. If the chip wasn't at least half working the disc wouldn't have even been recognized and you couldn't have ever gotten to that error.

I still think it's bad burns/media... My Wii doesn't like Memorex discs any better then Maxell's, BTW. I suspect you'll have better luck w/ the Sony, I burned ~20 of them for one of the users of my installs and ended up w/ IIRC only a single coaster.

Edit: And as I was off to bed I thought of one more thing... Make sure the ISO's you've downloaded are actually valid working copies. The YOASM update disc from WiiNewz certainly works for all dozen or so copies I've burned of it, other sources not so much. I don't know where you're sourcing your ISO's but it is something to think about.

Edit 2: Sigh... And one more thing (I really need to sleep). Make sure that the Free Clip is recognized as a 12F683 in your programming software and that you use the yaosm_12F683.hex file to program it w/. If you're using WinPic to program it, it should detect the chip automatically, if it doesn't (the programmer is SO flaky) wiggle the chip around in the socket until it does, and then don't move it again... AT ALL... until you're done programming it.

Framework43

I'm International
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well,

WinPic did recognize it.I did use the yaosm_12F683_twoleds.hex.I did get the config ISO from Wiinewz. When i get my hands on some Sony TDK DVD-Rs I will tell you the results.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... I didn't use the twoleds.hex version, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

If your Wii is still open it may be worth burning the other version to your chip.

Still think it's your media. Sorry I haven't been as helpful as I'm trying to be. :-)

Swip

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Framework43 said:

I had that problem with my Free-Clip + YAOSM 3.2 as well, I was using some TDK discs, then I got some Taiyo Yuden Verbatim discs and I haven't gotten a problem since.

Btw, Sharp Aquo's FTW, we got 2 of them in the house.

Framework43

I'm International
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, Well, I tried the Sony DVD+R(My cousin had told me it was DVD-R later btw>_>', His disks didnt look very legit, so I had my doubts.I will get some Verbatim DVDs). It was still fail.And yes by Free-Clip i mean the YAOSM wii-clip.My wii is on 3.2U.The game i was trying out was the PAL version of Wii Music(Is that alright with YAOSM+American Wii?) I will try the other hex but, Im told since it has two leds, its needed to work properly with the two leds on it(duh). This is really starting to annoy me >_>.Now, I know how n00bs feel, but,meh, this is my first time, you can't blame me.But its final, It must be my media, If its not, then I don't know whats the problem. Wish me luck
smile.gif

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Framework43 said:
Ok, Well, I tried the Sony DVD+R(My cousin had told me it was DVD-R later btw>_>', His disks didnt look very legit, so I had my doubts.I will get some Verbatim DVDs). It was still fail.And yes by Free-Clip i mean the YAOSM wii-clip.My wii is on 3.2U.The game i was trying out was the PAL version of Wii Music(Is that alright with YAOSM+American Wii?) I will try the other hex but, Im told since it has two leds, its needed to work properly with the two leds on it(duh). This is really starting to annoy me >_>.Now, I know how n00bs feel, but,meh, this is my first time, you can't blame me.But its final, It must be my media, If its not, then I don't know whats the problem. Wish me luck
smile.gif

As long as you have the region patching set in your chip any region should work. YOASM defaults to that so that shouldn't be your problem considering it sound like you still haven't got the config disc to work. :-/

Erm... The Free Clip doesn't have any LED's on it. That hex is for a type of install you can do w/ more conventional YAOSM installs where you end up w/ status LED's.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wii Music probably won't work on 3.2U without an update. Try an older game like SMG, SSBB or Mario Kart and use a version of your region.

Framework43

I'm International
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I know a long time since I updated what happened. Been so buzy. Finally got Verbatims! And I put in my free-clip, placed in my backup and bam! Epic Fail. Didn't work AGAIN. This is soo frustrating! Everytime I take off and put the Free-Clip back on, must I put a original in? Is that my problem?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night