Gaming Perfection..?: Super Mario Galaxy

sports-performace-westchester-1.jpg

A common controversy among the gaming population is what specifically defines perfection, and can it be culminated in a simple score? What is the standard of perfection? What are the requirements to meet the basis of a good game, and how do you exceed that to be defined, perfect?

I want to take a look once again at the thoughts and opinions of the gaming media toward one of the grandest adventures out there. Today, we will be focusing on a game you all voted for a long time ago:

Super Mario Galaxy
super-mario-galaxy-header.jpg

Super Mario Galaxy on the Nintendo Wii is one of the most monstrous entities on the console, selling a whopping 12.7 million copies. It dominated the holiday season it released in, dominated the sales charts, dominated the critics attention, and dominated the living rooms of people worldwide.

You probably already know why the game is so damn great yourself, but how does one put into words what made it so ground breaking? So revolutionary for the system it was on? Retrospectively, we can take a look at what was on peoples minds when they played it, and gain insight into why it was such a damn good game. Dare we say, even close to perfect.

IGN said:
“Expect to be blown away by the fantastic level challenges and galactic variety. Expect to be blown away by the addictive gravity effects -- you will jump off ledges just to see if you can rotate all the way around a structure. And expect to be blown away by the tight controls and beautiful graphics.” – Matt Casamassina – IGN.”

gfs_68186_2_28.jpg gfs_68186_2_29_mid.jpg

Its story was simple, but its gameplay was remarkable. Galaxy took the tried and true method of platforming and flipped it, twisted it, bopped it, pulled it, you freaking name it. Defying literal gravity and physics but managing to hone itself into precision platforming and movement is just one of many reasons the game shines brighter than the sun.

And it shines on the Wii despite its gimmicks and peripherals. The waggle and motion meshed in the game in a way that was not just acceptable, but delightful. It made sense, it made gimmicky become entertainment, it made the game itself feel so original that it sparked that little tick inside that made you like games in the first place.

Every tilt, every grapple onto stars or shaken slingshot to the next planet was far from hassle and more enticing and exhilarating as the experience continued.

Destructoid said:
“In creating Super Mario Galaxy, Nintendo had the unfortunate task of besting itself at what it does best: platforming. To say that they've succeeded almost isn't enough; Super Mario Galaxy is so incredible that it improves upon flaws in Mario 64 that I hadn't even noticed until, y'know, Galaxy did it better. And though there's little in the way of "innovation" of the genre, it's the refinement of the genre that solidifies Galaxy as the most essential platforming experience yet created.” – Aaron Linde – Destructoid.

gfs_68186_2_26.jpg gfs_68186_2_30.jpg

Linde puts it in perspective better than any of us could. Nintendo REFINED perfection into something that culminated into the Wii's shining star of entertainment. Galaxy was indeed, a massive galaxy of content that kept us entertained for hours upon hours. It had incredibly orchestrated music and gorgeously stylized art that put most early HD games to shame, and it wasn't even an HD game!

Galaxy withstands the tests of time despite its gimmicks, its graphics, and its platform. The game breathes life into the people that play it because it focuses on the fundamentals of gameplay like every Mario game has in the past. Its this drive to continue to push the boundaries of what is possible to do with the property to new levels of entertainment.

Is it perfect? Semantically speaking, nothing is, "perfect," especially to us gamers.

But it's pretty damn close.

wii_super_mario_galaxy.jpg

____________________________________________________________________________​

Thanks for reading everyone, and being patient with me on my little projects. This is a second test of my earlier project, "Why did this get a 10/10," where I focused on The Last of Us and the critical but controversial acclaim it received. I would like to continue to do these, which is why i'm including the second poll to see what y'all would like to see me cover next, hopefully in even more excruciating detail. At the end of the day, it's hard to delve into the simplicity yet utter complexity that is a Mario game in detail, but I tried to do it justice, and would like to try my hand at other games.

But all feedback is welcome as I continue writing these! Feel free to vote on what I should do next, and I promise it won't take as long as this one did!

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes I do agree I still think Super Mario Galaxy and No.2 as well and as Super Mario Sunshine count as Gaming perfection, reason being there is so much put into these games and every last detail is checked, counted and verified for that perfected gaming experience! Tbh I think all Mario games are virtually perfect in one way or more I don't recall playing any 3d Mario game in the past that I can say was bad and this is also why the 3d Mario games have so much hype when there on there way to release! Gamers want a fantastic game and they know that is exactly what they are going to get when they get there hands on a copy.

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I think Galaxy 2 is leaps and bounds ahead of 1, but thats just my opinion of course. In Mario Galaxy 1, I thought the galaxies got more elaborate and interesting as the game went on and the last galaxies were the coolest. I thought 2 started at the level of coolness that 1 ended with.

I felt the second one forced you too much on a given path every level. Whilst the first one let you run wherever you wanted on most levels. I think the first one is one of the best games ever made. I remember when I got my Wii and this game, it was somewhere around three in the afternoon, when I shut the game of it was 11 in the evening and I hadn't done anything but play SMG during that entire time, shocked that it was dark out.

Reactions: DarthVitrial

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Both Super Mario Galaxy are incredible, except the Luigi thing in Galaxy 1 that was a bit annoying but in the end worth it.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If the motion control levels are not as broken (proper wii and nunchuk), MGS is perfect.
MGS2 lacks a bit of plot and a lot of Rosalina.
In the poll, sotn all the way. Hope bloodstained is good.

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for this article. I enjoyed reading it and it reminded me why I love SMG and SMG2. I'm listening to the OST on YouTube now :) Gusty Gardens :wub:

I think the SMG is one of the best game soundtracks I have ever heard. Though MK8 comes close.

Reactions: chavosaur

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nintendo REFINED perfection into something that culminated into the Wii's shining star of entertainment. Galaxy was indeed, a massive galaxy of content that kept us entertained for hours upon hours.

Galaxy withstands the tests of time despite its gimmicks, its graphics, and its platform.
I guess this depends on what people liked about the 3d mario games. I found the dumbing down of the physics/momentum and overall control from Sunshine/64 an objective turn off. The more limited movepool and the fact that the spin-jump is never accounted for in the level design (which essentially means you are running on cheats by using one of the most obvious and basic combination of moves in a platformer) also aggravated it.
The last thing I disliked about the game is the complete linearity in the level design, which by nature may create a better first playthrough but gets extremely repetitive for anything after - this was a very strong point of both SM64 and Sunshine, whose big free levels allowed quite a lot of freedom on what to do and sometimes how to accomplish some goals.

To me personally, Galaxy was a clear step down from 64 at least. Sunshine was a mixed bag because the FLUDD was a horrible mechanic, but I still played it more than galaxy.

Anyway the simpler control became a trend and 3DL and 3DW offers even more limited movement, which is a shame for what I wanted out of the 3d titles. But I'm sure the people who play 3d mario games for a quick playthrough have found galaxy to be more appropriate for them.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Voted for RE4 but wouldn't have mind giving my pick to MGS either. Great review you guys have of Galaxy here, though, any chance for video reviews in the future?

I'm just so used to Cinemassacre, Angry Joe, SomecallmeJohnny, Pat the NES Punk, Jmmreview and other YouTube reviewers who do a solid job of making it not only enjoyable but highly entertaining too.

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I didn't play Mario Galaxy on release at all - in fact, the first time I played it was in 2013 after I bought my Wii. It was also the first Mario game I had played since playing Super Mario World in 1998. And I was honestly disappointed with the game. Every review, every person, everyone kept saying how great the game was, how revolutionary etc but I just didn't see all that, and still don't! I mean, was it really that revolutionary at the time? Controls are terrible (that Nunchuck joystick and all the wagglin' at the screen... just don't), graphics are very subpar (good for the Wii, I guess) and the gameplay is standard for a Mario game. I just can't see how it gets all this praise from literally everyone...

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I am one of that minority that doesn't like super Mario galaxy control scheme. But again, I am a Wii mote hater. Wish I could play this with a controller instead.

Configuring this game to play with a controller on dolphin is a nightmare. *Sigh* I guess I have to continue playing it on my wii

Last edited by eriol33,

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
A common controversy among the gaming population is what specifically defines perfection
Allow me to stop you right there. Gaming perfection has already been achieved and I fear we're now in a race to the bottom trying to reinvent the perfect formula.

2wUA+

Reactions: Deleted User

DrkBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Allow me to stop you right there. Gaming perfection has already been achieved and I fear we're now in a race to the bottom trying to reinvent the perfect formula.

2wUA+
It's a fucking great game super metroid, but for me the best game I have ever played was metroid prime, damm I love so much that franchise

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's a fucking great game super metroid, but for me the best game I have ever played was metroid prime, damm I love so much that franchise
I think Metroid Prime was a great game, but it didn't quite achieve what Super Metroid did. With virtually no dialogue, other than to set the scene or to describe items, Super Metroid was able to - through its level design and minimal events - tell an entire story and to teach a player along the way. Even the Ceres station is good practice for the later game, and it sets the scene in the process. When I first saw the ruins of Tourian, I got chills - Coming back up and seeing the repairs ... That kinda thing sticks in your memory, y'know?

Last edited by Frederica Bernkastel,

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm going to go as far as to say this is the best game ever made. I've never had so fun with any other game before, it just gives me a sense of wonder and fullfilingness ( Hope I spelled that right ). I remember going to the Mall and buying it on a weekend with the money grandma gave me, all the way back in 2013, I couldn't possibly be happier.
Just an amazing game.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it was a good game but i really did not care for the broken up small fragmented level designs
i like larger more expansive levels like mario 64 or sunshine had , i really hope the mario game they are working on for NX is a huge open world full 3d game a sort of BOTW mario game , maybe not so large and open but not fragmented like the other 3d mario games were either

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i guess not...