• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Gas is now 5 dollars a gallon almost everywhere.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Erm...Perhaps rely less on cars? I know it's not an easy transition, but your current price isn't higher than in other countries, and it's not like we're busy killing ourselves over here.

Finally... Biden doesn't run the oil business,so he can't set the prices. Capitalism's a bitch, isn't it?
U.S. is not like European countries. U.S. is huge.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yes, i know. What's that got to do with anything? It's not like you live further away from your local grocery or your job because there's more space to fill in, right?

... But I admit I might be looking at things wrong. What matters is the state of alternatives for transportation, the average daily commuting/shopping/other transport distance, social status and probably other factors. And while i think the total size of the country isn't relevant for most people, the transport sector is a different matter.

So... Come to think of it: you're right. I hadn't thought it through... (sorry if i don't edit out my first paragraph, but i think it has some merit... Even though it's overshadowed)

Reactions: catlover007

budDRY

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, i know. What's that got to do with anything? It's not like you live further away from your local grocery or your job because there's more space to fill in, right?

... But I admit I might be looking at things wrong. What matters is the state of alternatives for transportation, the average daily commuting/shopping/other transport distance, social status and probably other factors. And while i think the total size of the country isn't relevant for most people, the transport sector is a different matter.
there are many large states example texas. to get to places you must have a vehicle. even to do groceries. some states cities are miles away from another. what about those that travel to work. if you live in cali you'll understand. ive experienced fights on buses.

i dont think youre looking at it wrong. some places it work and some dont.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My opinion remains unchanged from when gas prices started rising: it's a small price to pay to play whatever little part I can in helping to hurt Putin. And also it reminds me of how much I long for days when rising gas prices were the biggest concern in our country by a wide margin.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

So... Come to think of it: you're right. I hadn't thought it through... (sorry if i don't edit out my first paragraph, but i think it has some merit... Even though it's overshadowed)
You don't live in the U.S. you don't know how much we rely on cars and how far things are.

Reactions: budDRY

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
how about crack? you dont even need to pay!!
https://freebeacon.com/biden-admini...free-crack-pipes-we-know-because-we-got-them/

in cali aka California fuel is almost $8
It was that back end of last year over here (approx GBP6.50). We get charged per litre over here, so nobody has a real idea of how many gallons they are actually putting in because people cba converting. Even though cars are sold on an mpg figure. Good news amongst all these price rises, our PM is looking to bring back some imperial measures (slow claps)

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP

You don't live in the U.S. you don't know how much we rely on cars and how far things are.
have you ever heard of public transportation?

I'm not European BTW, but their transportation suggestions are not invalid, it is the quite the opposite giving how ahead they are on that matter.

PS.: Brazil is larger than contiguous US, not that matter, but seems you care about land size for whatever reason.

katsup

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've cut back on driving significantly over the last 8 years when I starting cycling everywhere (In a California suburb). I probably fill up my 20yr old accord once a month. My wife has to fill up her car about once a week due to her commute to work. What is interesting about this gas price hike compared to last is that I am not seeing less cars on the road, people are still driving for their short distance errands.

Another thing is that 70% of the cars on the road are huge gas guzzlers. Some manufacturers have stopped making fuel efficient sedans as they were not selling. I'm sure a lot of us knew that gas prices would increase, maybe not as fast as it did, but it was inevitable.

I'm personally OK paying more for gas if it helps us find alternative ways to get around and save the environment. Hopefully at least some people are doing that, even if I am not seeing it locally.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
have you ever heard of public transportation?

I'm not European BTW, but their transportation suggestions are not invalid, it is the quite the opposite giving how ahead they are on that matter.

PS.: Brazil is larger than contiguous US, not that matter, but seems you care about land size for whatever reason.
Who hasn't heard of public transportation? lol

Go back to the comments to see why I responded the way I responded to answer your question.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: budDRY

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wanted to put in my two cents for the Europeans who are telling the U.S. that we rely on cars too much.

While this seems like borderline too much info for an Internet message board, I'm going to use the actual town names specifically so that anybody interested can pull the locations up on Google Maps or Google Earth to see exactly what I'm talking about.

I live in a town in Washington called Cheney. I'm a college student. I tend to head home on the weekends when possible to see my family. I can take the public bus to Spokane. It's about 35 to 40 minutes on the bus to get to the main station. I then have to switch buses to get to the side of the city closest to where my family would be coming from to pick me up. (I don't have a driver's license of my own. Fear of driving from a bad experience as a teenager. Yeah, I know this is going to bite me in the ass in the future.)

At this point, my mother picks me up, and we run whatever errands are necessary to get the most achieved during this trip into town. We then drive about an hour from Spokane to a small town called Newport where my family lives. We actually live about five minutes away from Newport in the opposite direction from Spokane, but the town itself is sufficient to get the point across. This is a rather small town, with only a single traffic light within city limits. The public bus does not go here because there's not enough people to warrant the expenses.

There is no way in hell I would be able to get from point A to point B without a car, even giving myself the benefit of using the bus as I currently do to knock off half of the distance. I actually discussed getting an electric car with my mother yesterday. It turns out that she had looked into it as well. It would turn my bus trip to Spokane into a hard requirement as a fully-charged battery would only be able to last going directly to Cheney and home without making any side stops to run errands.

The price of gas has gone up so high, there have been several consecutive weekends were I haven't been able to visit my family simply because we can't afford the gas to make the trip.

And I'm lucky in my situation. For any of you using Google Maps/Earth to keep track of the distances I'm mentioning, take a look at some of the central states in the country, like Iowa. A lot of locations are WAY too far apart for even public transit to be a viable option, and a lot of our smaller towns (such as Newport) don't even have much beyond basic groceries and a hardware store. You need anything else, you're making a trip into a larger city (in our case, Spokane) to buy things.

Remember: "On one side of the ocean, 100 years is a long time. On the other side, 100 miles is a long distance." (I wish I could remember where the quote was originally from)

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gas is still way too cheap for the harm it does to the planet. Here it is at 10 dollars a gallon. Although we pay in liters, but it is almost twice as expensive as in the US. and still too cheap!
We are spoiled by the status quo. Fortunately that is going to change very soon. So sad it needed a war to get there ("thanks, Putin", I guess).

I would gladly raise the gas price to $10 a gallon if it means saving the planet.

I am sorry but shit like this pisses me off to no end. Its action without proper logic and structure in place. (Oh whats that? Purposely make something inconvenient because of "ecological reason" and make other people figure out a solution around it!) Except when you push to do something like this and there is no structure in place to make it so that there are reasonable alternatives available to make the transition painless leaving behind the few people who still choose to do things the old way because they want to.

You want to save the world by raising gas prices? Give the people an electric car that costs less than 20k-15k and/or a trade in program to trade up their cars for an electric one for cheap as hell. That is how you enable proper motivation for your goals. If you can't do this and expect the people/companies to figure it out on their own its only going to become a colossal clusterfuck where people will not be able to afford driving to their dayjob and the corporations will just find even better ways to screw people over than help them. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer with no middle line anymore. Great job, you saved the environment! :yay:

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Erm...Perhaps rely less on cars? I know it's not an easy transition, but your current price isn't higher than in other countries, and it's not like we're busy killing ourselves over here.
That’s not easy in the US because our entire infrastructure is centered around cars. There’s actually very few places for people to walk and very few places have dedicated pedestrian means of getting to them. There’s the added “fuck you” of having little to no public transport and in many places literally no public transport. The US basically requires you to own a car or get fucked.

Runehasa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gas is still way too cheap for the harm it does to the planet. Here it is at 10 dollars a gallon. Although we pay in liters, but it is almost twice as expensive as in the US. and still too cheap!
We are spoiled by the status quo. Fortunately that is going to change very soon. So sad it needed a war to get there ("thanks, Putin", I guess).
Putin had nothing or very little to do with the gas hike. That is all on the Biden administration.

Reactions: zfreeman and budDRY

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sosig