Scathraax

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
With school coming up next week, and me having a job.. It's finally time for me to get myself a laptop.
I've decided on the MSI Wind, mainly for it's small form factor, since I'll be taking it everywhere with me.

Now, I have a few other items I'd like to purchase along with it.

RAM* (Upgrading from 1GB to 2GB)
Bigger HDD**
Logitech bluetooth mouse
S-Video to RCA converter cable (For use at school/friends', mostly for watching movies on a nice big television
grog.gif
)
Laptop carrying case/new backpack with laptop section

I'll be using this away from home a lot, but these few items seem like enough. Anything else recommended by those who travel with their laptop often?

* - There's a good chance I'll upgrade the RAM
** - I have no access to an external CD drive, so I might not have a way to get the HDD formatted if I were to purchase/install it in the Wind

BiscuitBee

Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
How about a USB 10-key add-on? I guess that depends on what you are doing, of course.

Personally, I hate the Fn-mode 10-key on most laptops
frown.gif

EDIT: And, if it matters, a privacy screen so passers-by and slanty-necks can't peak at what you are doing.

Scathraax

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Maktub said:
Could you link some shop with that computer? I'm curious about it.
Newegg has it, which is where I think I'll be ordering from. [edit] Bah. Newegg is out of stock as well. I hadn't even noticed.
Amazon has them listed, but seems to be sold out.

QUOTE(Jiggah @ Aug 15 2008, 12:18 PM) I heard upgrading the RAM for the Wind voids the warranty.
I've read the same.. and while I hate to void warranties, the extra RAM would be pretty nice.
This upgrade is still up in the air.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I used to have one of the shoulderbag-style protective laptop cases and found it a nightmare to carry; those things are damn heavy even before you put the laptop in! Go with the backpack. Also it's less obvious that you're carrying a laptop
wink.gif

Maktub

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, Psyfira is 100% right about that.

That laptop seems nice, tiny, I don't think you'll be using it for playing very high standard games so I suggest you save the RAM ampliation. 1GB is pretty much actually.

I saw in England however some laptops looking nicer than that, more solid and with a better design (kind of like dell inspirons, just smaller) that weren't very pricey and had same specs as that one... shame I didn't get the brand cause I wasn't going to get one anyway, but I'd have loved to have one of those. Also I think they had some built in DVD reading device.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't purchase the MSI wind yet.

Right now it's in high demand due to battery shortages. Wait for the 6-cell battery version to be released (5.5 hours of battery life vs 2.5 hours for the 3-cell you linked to).

If you need to format or install an OS on a new hard drive, I'd get one of these (it will also let you recycle your old HD as a portable backup source... and if you buy two, you can clone your hard drives so you don't have to deal with drivers on your new HD.)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7296

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
Don't purchase the MSI wind yet.

Right now it's in high demand due to battery shortages. Wait for the 6-cell battery version to be released (5.5 hours of battery life vs 2.5 hours for the 3-cell you linked to).
It will be a considerable while after the 6-cell units are shipped (god knows when) that demand will start dropping.

You're better off buying the laptop itself asap, and picking up a larger battery later on.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you're pondering the 6-cell Wind, you might as well get the EEE 1000H. Priced similarly (lower in fact, I think for the 6-cell variant), similar specs, but has wireless N (not a deal breaker I know). Plus, I believe the RAM is upgradable without warranty violation. Oh, and it's available now.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
If you're pondering the 6-cell Wind, you might as well get the EEE 1000H. Priced similarly (lower in fact, I think for the 6-cell variant), similar specs, but has wireless N (not a deal breaker I know). Plus, I believe the RAM is upgradable without warranty violation. Oh, and it's available now.
6-cell MSI Wind is 499$, 3-cell is 479$, Linux 3-cell is 399$... just most places are gouging the price right now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/Os7f9Se.mp4