Hacking Going Form WBFS to NTSC, Now Not Enough Space!?

lettuce

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have gone from using a WBFS partition to NTSC, so have converted all my WBFS file games to ISO files via WiiBackup. But now all the game files are a massive size and dont have enough space to fit them all on my external HD. The thing is when i load the folder with all my Wii game in through Wiibackup, they show up as smaller sizes, and say that all my games are only 53GB, yet on my actual external HD they are taking up a massive 150GB. How do i get the file sizes smaller with NTSC iso files??

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
you can

-use *.wbfs files which are smaller
-make the *.iso files sparse which will store files containing larege empty areas more efficiently
-reorder the content in the iso and truncate it

I suggest the first

lettuce

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So i should use a WBFS partition then?, or can *.wbfs files be used on NTSC partitions? Why does Wiibackup Manger have the iso files smaller than they are when i look at them through explorer?

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
With most modern loaders you can use *.wbfs files on FAT
some support NTFS too
there's a table in the wiki

not all the data in the iso is usefull
the manager perhaps just display the amount of game data but not the garbage

sorgelig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
i suggest to use PAL partition instead of NTSC. It has more free space
laugh.gif

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
lettuce said:
So i should use a WBFS partition then?, or can *.wbfs files be used on NTSC partitions? Why does Wiibackup Manger have the iso files smaller than they are when i look at them through explorer?
.wbfs files CAN be used on NTSC partitions, and about Wii Backup Manager showing you smaller iso file sizes than what they actually are (4.37gb), is because that, the sizes you see in the explorer of Wii Backup Manager are actually the .wbfs file sizes.
As in, if you add star wars force unleashed 2 to the manager, you'll see 3.8gb instead of 4.37gb, why?? Because 3.8gb is what the game size would be had it been a wbfs file. I hope you understand now.

boondoklife

Trophies
Website
boondoklife.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok I have to clear this up:

For those that read this post, please do not get confused. The only file systems that are currently available to put your games on are FAT(32), NTFS, and WBFS.

Putting files on: NTFS
You can put ISO files on an NTFS partition as is or convert them to a WBFS file type (not partition).

Putting files on: FAT
You can convert ISO files to 2GB WBFS file chunks and save them to the FAT file system

Putting files on: WBFS
You can use a WBFS manager to load files onto the WBFS partition.

For the record, neither NTSC nor PAL are file systems they are instead television formats. They have nothing to do with storing games on a usb drive.

Now as to why the WBFS files are smaller, this is due to extra padding or files that are not needed being removed from the image. Once this is removed the file shrinks in size from what the ISO would be.

Hope that helps out anyone that read this train wreck and got confused.

C.S.I.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just format your Drive as FAT32, and then use a WBFS Backup Manager to move your games onto it.

The Manager will automatically split any games as required. You dont need to do squat.

They will be the 'scrubbed' size, so will be able to get all your games on your HDD just like before.

I would suggest this backup manager.

http://www.completesoftmodguide.tk/backup-...-backup-manager

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76bIuU_g6A8